Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 June 2017
I was interested in this film at first release, but wondered if the early pricing was worth it. Bought this as a reduced price warehouse deal from Amazon, and it's a real gem. Tatou is not only a gifted performer, she delivers with conviction in any language. The film is the story of Coco Chanel who, despite her humble and impoverished beginnings, became a revered designer of haute couture. There's sufficient drama to take this above a run of the mill biopic and the acting throughout is superb.

A few extras on the DVD, including commentary and spam interesting insights. Class production and worth far more than I paid for it.
on 17 May 2017
Good film. Not a masterpiece. But watchable with your Mum who loves Chanel.
on 17 April 2017
Good story
on 18 July 2017
Worth a watch.
on 26 June 2017
Wonderful movie, exceeded my expectations.
on 7 February 2010
I'm giving this a five to make up for all the imbeciles who have criticized a French film for being in French, and the other imbeciles who think it should have had more explosions in it. Actually, I thought it was a four.

I don't know how accurate the details of Coco Chanel's life are as shown, but it conveys the period beautifully. I think the French do historical films very well - partly because of their attention to detail, and partly because they concentrate on showing how things were rather than preaching or disapproving.

Audrey Tatou is in every scene and is rivetting. She plays Chanel as the relaistic and determined person she must have been. The other actors are good too, no wrong notes.

And it's stunningly photographed. Whether it's the inside of the convent, the ballroom in her lover's chateau, or the beach at Deauville, you can't take your eyes off it. For myself, I would have liked to know more about the fabrics and the clothes, but I realise I'm in a minority. I had expected to watch this film once and move on, but now I know I'll watch it again - well written, very well acted and beautifully photographed.
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse