Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 25 January 2010
I just bought the CD and this DVD of Past & Present. I was slightly disappointed with the production of the CD, but this is knockout.
What an amazing evening it must have been for those lucky enough to go. The DVD is so well done that I felt involved!
How does he produce number after number so superbly, live? His voice is thrilling.
The singers he had with him really added to the show and they all interacted so well. Michael clearly also really enjoyed it.

The highlight for me was Gethsemane. The emotion and anguish he expresses wring my heart and bring tears to my eyes. I heard him sing it at the Lloyd Webber anniversary concert and was blown away by his rendition; this is just as good.

The extras on the DVD are really interesting. He talks about the choice of songs, the singers he has with him, how they planned the show and many things, and he shows us round the Albert Hall. He also talks about his role in Hairspray. He is down to earth, funny and interesting.

All in all this is a really enjoyable, entertaining, electric evening in.
I know I will watch it again and again.

What a wonderful gift this man has, and how lucky we are to be able to enjoy it.
on 30 March 2017
A fantastic perfomance again from Michael, he is just brilliant.
on 8 July 2017
My wife thinks it is first class. She is a michael Ball fan.
on 26 November 2009
Well, I admit to being a die-hard Michael Ball fan, having been to at least one show during every one of his concert tours since 1993. I do try to be objective though and, while I own all of his past DVDs, I wouldn't necessarily give ALL of them the full five stars.

The format of this concert tour is different from all the rest and it really works very well. Michael is joined by five talented young performers, all with fine voices. They perform Michael's backing vocals but all are given a chance to show off their individual talents. One of my favourite duets is a show-stopping version of "The Prayer" sung wonderfully by Michael and the beautiful Emma Williams.

As for Michael himself, he is in magnificent voice throughout. His charming personality comes over the footlights as always and it is great to see, after 25 years, how a performer can be so appreciative of his audience (and of course, the other way around!)

The extras on the DVD are really very interesting. There is a backstage look at the Albert Hall and it's fascinating to see how performers prepare themselves before they go on stage. There's also a feature about Michael's last night in Hairspray at the Shaftesbury Theatre with footage of fans at the stage door. It's very good value.

So - this DVD is worthy of all five stars. If you like Michael Ball and don't own any of his concert DVDs yet, this is the one to get!
on 22 November 2009
I saw this show at Royal Albert Hall and it was an amazing night! The whole show is included on the DVD plus great extras too. Michael's performance, which includes new pop songs as well as his musical theatre classics, and his inter-action with the audience, is fantastic throughtout.

Michael changed the format from previous concerts to showcase some new young talent. His guest performers are Ben James-Ellis (Link Larkin from Hairspray and also from BBC Any Dream Will Do), Adrian Hansel (Seaweed in Hairspray) Emma Williams (Truly Scrumptious from Chitty), Louise Marshall and Louise Dearman.

The addition of the guests brings a youthful energy and exuberance to the show. It enables Michael to perform a wider range of songs, including close harmony numbers. He also gives each of the guests an opportunity to shine with solos, duets and group songs, and the dancing is brilliant too!

I think the format change and the inclusion of guests will broaden the appeal beyond Michael huge and dedicated fan base. It is the first Michael Ball DVD I have bought and its great. It is very uplifting and leaves you with a smile on your face!! I would thoroughly recommend it - enjoy!!!
on 14 March 2010
At first it was so different to his other shows we where not sure but by the 2nd viewing it has to be his best work to date. His voice is better and stronger then every and what a show. It has lots of different songs but as also its never long enough but thats why you have the dvd to play & play & play.
If your a Michael Ball fan its a must have and if you have never seen him before watch it he is a great talent and showman.
All I can say is when do we see Michael in Melbourne Aust.

Regards
Donna
on 24 February 2010
The moment this DVD was available at Amazon UK, I bought it instantly. I didn't know if it was rated for the USA but figured I could play it on my computer and thankfully I was right. The concert is so much better than watching the snippets on uTube. And I was thankful I was able to see him on uTube. Two years ago I discovered Les Mis 10th Anniv DVD and Michael Ball. I listen to his Sunday Show (at 5:00 in the morning here). What a entertaining, happy personality. And now I could attend his concert on DVD. Hearing his natural voice, conveying the songs emotion, with tonality and power and total stage presence...he is just brilliant (to use an UK word)! Wish I could have met him when he stopped in Nashville to interview Dolly Parton.

Thank you England and Cathy for sharing this Talent.
on 11 January 2010
HAVE ALWAYS LIKED MICHAEL BALL BUT ONLY HAD THE PLEASURE OF SEEING HIM LIVE MANY YEARS AGO. WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS DVD AND WAS CERTAINLY NOT LET DOWN. HIS CHARISMA, PERSONALITY AND SHEER POWER SHONE THROUGH THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE SHOW. IT MUST HAVE BEEN WONDERFUL TO SEE IT LIVE. WAS WORRIED THAT THE INCLUSION OF FIVE YOUNG SINGERS WOULD DETRACT FROM THE SHOW BUT IN FACT I FEEL THEY ADDED TO THE OVERALL EXPERIENCE. AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED MICHAEL, APART FROM LOOKING A BIT FULLER OF BODY CAN STILL TURN OUT THE SONGS AND GIVE HIS ALL ON STAGE. LONG MAY HE REIGN
on 4 October 2009
Anyone who has been to any of Michaels' concerts on this Tour will know what a treat this DVD will be to own - I have been to two shows and can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I only hope they do not remove any material (as they did on a previous video :-( )
on 2 August 2010
A must for every Michael Ball fan, I went to see this concert live and this is certainly nearly as good as the real thing. It brought back lots of lovely memeroies of a Fantastic evning but with the added bonus of Michael chatting -- just to you or so it seems and lots more extra bits.