Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 25 August 2017
This was a favourite book of mine back in the day and I recently reread it in Kindle edition. The chance to see the LWT series from 1988 was irresistible so I bought that too and received it yesterday and watched all six episodes in a binge session. The production, direction, script and acting are all very good and I enjoyed (almost) every moment. The series follows the major events in the book very well missing out only the parts that are not really needed for the continuity of the story. There are a few things that didn't please me as much The characters are quite often not as I imagined them or as they were portrayed in the book such as 'Moggy' Cattermole is not as nasty, air commodore Bletchley is not as avuncular, Chris Hart is not such a pain in the arsx, Yes! he was right. The other is the eye candy for the boys; the Spitfires. These are all late models that wouldn't be around in 1939 some armed with cannon even though the talk is of "Armed with 8 Browning machine guns" This didn't matter to me but I can imagine purists being outraged. The aerial photography is superb and I can imagine many people (men) watching the series just for glimpses of the Spitfires in action and becoming very excited. There is also proper love interest but it is thankfully brief.
This is very good and you owe it to yourself to watch this evocation of the RAF Fighter Squadrons in the very early days of WW11
on 8 September 2017
This series aims to debunk the fighter boys of the Battle of Britain by showing a year in the life of a Spitfire squadron from Sept 1939 to Sept 1940. It has many flaws but we do see how outdated the tactics and leadership of Fighter Command was in the early days of World War two. However the men are so unlikable that you dont really give a stuff when one by one they are blown out of the sky by the Luftwaffe !
on 12 April 2017
Watched this when I was in my teens, and was so pleased that it was on dvd.

One of my favourite series. And even got a photo sent to me, which had been taken especially for me.

A brilliant series.
on 6 March 2017
good for a 50//60 production
on 24 June 2017
Not bad TV from ITV.
on 17 March 2017
yet another good series
on 16 August 2017
I thought this was really good.
on 4 March 2017
I saw this series on TV the first time around and bought the book that went with it. The aspect I liked best was that it showed just how class conscious the officer class was at that time, of didn't try to suggest that it was all lads together, certainly not at that stage in the war. The reason the production used Spitfires was simple there aren't enough Hurricanes left to film a squadron 'scramble'! The flying sequences are breathtaking, spoiler alert!, especially when a Spit was flown under a bridge! No CGI or clever cutting just brilliant flying by the Hanna's!
on 26 November 2009
i really do not understand what is the problem of including subtitles on DVD titles old and new.

when a full feature film subtitle takes a meagre 2MB on a DVD, i simply cannot understand why it is not possible to include at LEAST english subtitles...

other than that, anyone that is searching for this series knows what he's looking for. suffice to say that there aren't any menus (there are, but with just a "play" button), so basically it's like watching on TV, but you can pause it...

i'll give 3 stars only because the series itself is good...
on 1 April 2011
I watched this series when it was first broadcast and remember being slightly shocked at how the characters were portrayed, not at all like the Boys Own type of adventures I was brought up on. But being an aviation nut I bought the DVD and watched it again with some trepidation.

What I discovered was an appreciation of author Derek Robinsons amalgamation of characters that gave full vent to the bravery, cynicism and black humour that must have existed in various degrees through all the squadrons at that time.

I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed revisiting this series and when it ended I felt at a loss.

Magnificent and the Spitfires were the icing on the (Piece) of Cake.