When I first got this I was to say the least underwhelmed. However having used it for a while - and in particular marking out tiled to be cut - I find myself rather liking this little marking tool.

In essence all you have is a plastic holder for lead (or more likely graphite) that does not need to be sharpened with a knife or sharpener. It has a similar profile to traditional carpenters rectangular pencils and when it gets blunt you rub it against something abrasive such as a brick to bring an edge back. As it wears down you simply allow more lead to be dropped through the holder.

Unlike some I didn't have a problem with the lead breaking. However I tended to keep it close to the holder and not extended further than one detente.

Like all carpenters pencils it's not going to be much use for fine furniture making as you need more accuracy than a wide pencil will offer, however for general building work this is idea.
on 12 August 2011
I first spotted these in my local Travis Perkins, they were on offer at £2.99 so I bought one and I'm so glad I did. It sits in the side pocket of my workshorts and is always there ready to use unlike conventional carpenters pencils which are too long and fall out and get lost.

Like conventional carpenters pencils the leads still break inside if you drop it but unlike conventional pencils this doesn't seem to matter to much as the piece of lead you're using is held in place by the jaws and when it gets to short it can simply be discarded and the next bit of the broken lead falls into place. Sharpen it as most chippy's do, on the face of a brick and it's ready to go.

The only improvement Striker need to make is to produce a lead that marks well but doesn't break so easily, I'm sure I've seen my grandson with a rubber pencil that you could bend without it breaking so come on Striker, get on the case.
A nicely designed pencil for DIY work, easy to keep a chiselled edge to it and when running low you just push out another chunk. It isn't quite like a mechanical pencil, when you push the button to advance the lead it drops out and catches a ridge in the lead. This ridge sits like a cog in the nose of the pencil which gives it the grip. On some occasions it misses the grip point, sometimes it slips out too far and others it doesn't advance without a little shake, but these are just minor things.

If you keep misplacing pencils and always have a half dozen of them on the go, then you may be better off sticking to the traditional chippies pencil as it will be cheaper than buying several of these.

I only take a star off because I find the lead to be a little too hard than what I usually use and thus the lines are lighter, although maybe I am just getting older and finding it harder to see the pencil markings!

Other than that, it is a good value pencil and I would recommend it
on 31 January 2014
At last a carpenter's pencil which I could have in the pocket at all timeswithout fear of the lead breaking off - saves a few minutes each day looking for where it's last left

It seems the lead supplied with original is too hard for my linking. Usually I like using 2H or second choice HB (for a darker line for cuting).Otherwise no complaints; just hope replacement lead of the grade I want will be universally available.
on 25 February 2016
A nice idea but just not all that good. Lead flops around and when it's blunt (which is all the time) it writes with a really fat line. Great if you're cutting with a half inch leeway or never need to write any numbers with it.
on 5 June 2015
A good idea for the average DIY'er and the clip keeps the pencil firmly in your pocket. The nice dark graphite shows up well on many surfaces I have found. The product came with four strips of graphite, making it good value imho. As others have commented, the slipping jaws are the weak point of this product - not one for the heavy handed and clumsy.
on 26 November 2015
Had this 2 years now and still going strong. Along as you clean it from time to time works great. Only down is got to the point I need new led. So might as well buy a new one all together but all in all amazing item workers perfect for drawing on floor walls everything!!
on 28 December 2012
This pencil is ok but, the leads brakes too easily and the lead keeps slipping up into the casing, which is a little annoying. It's cheap enough though.
on 2 June 2015
Great idea, however constructions a little clumsy and materials feel cheap not as sturdy as some of my artist clutch pencils which are cheaper and of a more rugged material.

I wouldn't say I hate it and don't buy one but tbh I'll stick with clutch pencils in the future
on 8 September 2015
Decided to get this to replace the pencils I kept breaking while marking out loft joists when fitting a loft boarding. Great product and the "lead" is long lasting, bonus it has not snapped once which is more than I can say about my old pencils. Just shows always bets to get the right tools for the job.

See one answered question