Format: DVD|Change

Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This film was rather strange, I didn't really get it one main point being the audio is Japanese only, I just am one of those people who struggle when trying to concentrate on the subtitles while watching what's going on... for me personally was a bit too hard.

I know a few friends who think I'm crazy for not liking it, but at the end of the day it's always down to everyone's own opinion and for me it just wasn't my cup of tea.
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2010
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Simply put this is definitely one for the kids - its bound to while away a Sunday afternoon - will you want to watch it again? Well its unlikely but they may do ... but its best use maybe as a gateway film to take your children away from the world of power rangers - where some of the effects and style of Kitaro dwell - and into the magic of foreign films for children such as those produced by Studio Ghibli in Japan. There you find a superior quality and charm for both child & adult alike...
Kitaro is one of those films that does not attempt to abandon its origins despite going out to a large non-Japanese audience; it remains thoroughly and unrepentantly unreconstructed. As such it is a real joy for an outsider trying to pick up on the characters and their special powers. The film has some excellent special effects in covering the tale of a ghost-ridden building (it's those property developers) and the pursuit of a special stone by the Fox Spirits. If I was to try to categorise it (and it really is in its own category) it would be as Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers meets Harry Potter (with a dash of Wizard of Oz).
on 26 February 2010
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Based on a the comic - Kitaro follows the adventures of a supernatural team led by the one-eyed title character. And he is but the start of a wonderful mixture of characters both good and bad in this deceptivley simple story of a pair of children who get into trouble after their father dies having gotten involved with a mystical object.

While it can seem to drag on in places, this is a good way to spend a quite sunday afternoon if ou don't mind the subtitles.
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really enjoyed this film. I didn't really know what to expect; I only usually watch horror films so this was a bit of a curve-ball from Amazon Vine.

It's a great adventure featuring human actors as well as cartoony-cgi characters.
I think they work together very well.

This is a PG rated film and the central characters do appear to be quite young (I say 'appear' as the Kitaro character is actually 350 years old!) so it should appeal to kids. Maybe I'm immature, but at forty-something I also found the film very entertaining. There's romantic interest and I have to say that most of the female characters are very attractive, plenty of toilet humour, cheesy gags, and very well choreographed fight scenes -one of which is almost like ballet it's so artistically performed.

There are also some superb locations.

The soundtrack is a bit odd as it ranges from a great catchy Jungle-Book-like song about the Gegege Forest to a sort of McFly clone pop dross ditty.

The sprit-world theme seems very common in Japanese cinema from what I've seen. The awesome Death-Note (which was on telly again the other night) also features this theme, although along much more adult lines.

I think this is a great fantasy-adventure which should appeal to kids. And parents should approve of the strong moral message (yawn).

[My ref: Ge ge ge no ge 15th Nov 09]
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to say, early on in this film I was somewhat dubious about it; it initially appears an uneasy mix of slapstick, melodrama, and traditional Japanese fairytale elements (animated umbrellas, for instance). But it soon settles down into a wild, comic romp reminiscent of the old Monkey tv series, except with much better effects. This movie throws everything into the cooking pot - comedy, fantasy, thriller, family drama, music and martial arts action - and brews up a seriously entertaining result. It had me laughing and even on the edge of tears at one point. Perhaps if I were familiar with the original inspiration, I might have been disappointed, but as I knew nothing of it before this movie, I enjoyed it immensely. If there's one thing I can fault it's that the copy I had did not have an option to view dubbed - some children might not appreciate having to read so many subtitles. And this film will seriously appeal to children, even if the bizarre yokai spirits are startling to a western audience. Jolly good fun.
on 25 July 2011
Clever and watchable film but not for the very young, hence the PG rating. The characterisation by the actors is very good. The film is visually first class. Magana comic portrayal. My only concern is the Kitaro charactor played by Wentz Eiji. He really does not contribute much to the story line or the film as a whole, in fact his character is a 'bit wet'. Wentz Eiji is certainly 'out' acted by the rest of the cast. But the film is enjoyable to watch and worth watching again. I will not give the story line - only to say it is funny and sad in the right proportions. This film is definately worth buying because you will watch it more than once. RJC
VINE VOICEon 26 October 2012
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Live action anime adaptations (much like the western comic book, computer game cousins) create an uncomfortably jarring style and this example is no exception. And these issues are compounded by a story reliant on stale tropes, which it fails to subvert in any way that is interesting. Ultimately it is fun, but little more can be said in the film's defence.
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A rollercoaster ride through this half human / half goblin's world. Of course it's barking but the characters are engaging and the animation lovely. If you liked the comics then the film isn't going to disappoint.
Format: DVD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
... with perhaps a hint of Time Bandits thrown in.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Kitaro. It's a deliriously off-the-wall live action anime based on a classic manga and is, quite simply, one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. From what I can gather of the plot, there are good ghosts and bad ghosts. The latter are hounding mortals and are kept in check by our eponymous hero Kitaro. He's several centuries old, but looks like a grey-haired teenager. He dresses in a coat made from his ancestors' hair, has only one eye, uses his remote-controlled sandals as weapons and hangs about with some very weird folk like 'Daddy Eyeball', 'Rat Man' and the utterly bizarre 'Wheel Monk' (who truly has to be seen to be believed!) And there's something about a stone of ultimate evil that has gone missing. Weird? You ain't seen nothing yet! I guess Kitaro is aimed at the younger viewer, but it is more funny peculiar than funny ha-ha most of the time. Sure there's some slapstick, but there's also some downright grotesque imagery too, which would give most Western kids nightmares! OK so I confess; I really didn't get Kitaro and cannot even begin to guess at what the intended target audience is. It's certainly spectacularly bizarre, with plenty of striking eye-candy, but whether that's enough to hold the interest of your average British viewer, I don't know.