Click Here Shop Kindle George Michael - MTV Replugged Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

on 8 April 2017
Brilliant
on 29 July 2008
I have searched for this book for years and finally found it in the magnificent Strand bookstore whilst I was on holiday in New York. The wait was worth it - yes, it is Frank Sinatra through rose-tinted spectacles but I love Mr S so I didnt care. Zehme's writing is masterful, moving and a mine full of big Frank's one liners. The book made me want to be cool (and I most definitely am not) and to be in Vegas when Sinatra ruled supreme, even if only for one night. When I turned the final page I felt like I had lost a friend, for we all have.
on 18 May 1998
...but it ain't a biography. Zehme cooperates by presenting us with the Frank that Frank wanted us to know. He doesn't really plumb anywhere that Frank hasn't already gone in a song or a late-night early-morning cocktail confession (read: performance). But, hey, I'll buy every round just to bask in the presence. After reading this paean to a world into which I was meant to be born, I was put back in touch with the simple pleasures like friendship, loyalty, and good scotch. I pulled the book out again after a argument at a party the night of his death. I was countering the position that he was "very bad man". This book will help to allay that attitude and understand the man a bit more. If nothing else, you will understand the allure of the man and his lifestyle. (The many photographs help in this respect.)
on 7 March 1999
Just when you think that you have read everything on the man and there is nothing more to know along comes a book which, from the moment that you open the covers and read the first page, somehow makes you feel that you are taking part in his life and his style of living. I don't recall ever reading any biography or autobiography that so captures the moments, the entertainment and the joy of living in the way that this book and the photographs combined manages to do. I will never give this book away nor will I ever risk lending it to anyone.
on 29 August 2012
I confess to being an unshakable Sinatra fan so I too enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it in spite of the slow recognition that all of the anecdotes had been gathered from elsewhere, some can be heard on Youtube 'Roasts' or on Johnny Carson interviews. Others are quotes from some of his concert performances on disc. While little of it is new, it is still an amusing read, albeit from the perspective of someone determined not to write anything bad or to broach any of the more lurid accusations levelled at Sinatra over the years. But I didn't care.... I'd marry him anyway.
Just one small thing.... what is this word 'thusly'? Used far too often and not good writing.
on 13 November 1998
One of the most concise reviews of a life.....LIVED!!! From the moment HE speaks from his bedside manner, men should listen to the truth of livin' large and within the humanity of the blue eyes it's written about. Sinatra had the blemish of being human, while having the forgiveness of a society that doesn't forgive. Without giving away all the frailties of the man, the book relates the lessons learned on all His long nights. There is no percussive blow to the dialogue between the author and subject, just the relatedness between the two. God bless the martini and the way it should be served.
on 26 May 1998
I finished this book about a week before he died and loved it. No, there isn't a lot of dirt, but so what? This book portrays a passionate man who lived every moment with wit and style. A lesson most of us need to learn. It's exactly like the title says...The Lost Art of Livin'. The anecdotes are hilarious and make you feel that you're right there living it with him. A must read for anyone who loves Sinatra or 50's/60's retro.
on 19 May 1998
Everything you ever wanted to know about how to make your life your own. This is one of the most real biographies that I have read in a long time. Not just the dirt, but all of the heart and the finesse that was Frank Sinatra. This is a must read for Frank fans. (More a must for those who are not) The Way You Wear Your Hat is one of the best!
on 13 October 1998
I got to know the guy, maybe more than he would have liked. Sinatra was many things to many people. Probably the most envied and copied guy in the world. When he says he sang every song, and made every record, because people will be hearing them for a long time- you can appreciate him for what he was. I may never wear my hat the same again.
on 2 July 1998
I have been a long-time fan of SINATRA, and I found this book to be so revealing about his beliefs, the kind of father he was, the fact that he was a great American. Any true Sinatra fan should read this book...and they will thank me for recommending it so highly. Meanwhile, Sleep Warm. Clara Watson Elkins