Style Name: Single Hob Stainless Steel|Change

on 25 November 2010
I used a single hob in my flat to do some cooking. I have tried many other hobs, which either it takes too long to get boiling or when you turn the knob to 2 or 3 it will stop boiling completely. Lloytron E831ss Hob takes only a few minutes to boil very rapidly. And when you switch to 2 or 3, it boils rather steadily as well. The only minor downside to it is it takes a few minutes to reduce the boiling when you turn the switch from 5 to 2, which i think this is normal for every hob. This is the best hob I have used, and I have tried more than 10 types of single hobs.
0Comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2008
In the "Before use for the first time" instructions, it says "Ensure the room is well ventilated, as it can get a bit smelly" I can certainly vouch for that. I would recommend doing the initial burn under an extractor fan.

There is a typo in this site's description. The hot plates are 1500W & 1000W (not 500W and 1000W) but both plates can run at the same time on a 13A plug.

Dimensions are approx. Width 47cm, Depth 28 cm and Height 8 cm.

I have previously owned a "Russell Hobbs" 2 hob which seemed to take ages heating up and difficulty maintaining a full boil. No such trouble with this Haden, starting from cold hobs, the large hob boiled 1pt cold water in 7mins 15secs and surprisingly the small hob only took 45secs longer at 8mins. (in different saucepans at the same time.)

I am very pleased with this item and with Amazon's service.
22 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2008
Haden 13356 2 Hob Electric Boiling Ring with thermostat, pilot light and cool touch handles
This hotplate is excellent especially when you have a Rayburn Cooker which needs fired up before use. Most people who have Aga / Rayburns usually have an extra cooker I have found out since moving to the country - this hotpate cuts out the need! It is very economical, fast and small and can easily be stored away when not in use - well worth the money! Also saves on fuel. Recommended very highly
on 29 January 2011
Basically, it does what it says on the can.. Two electric hobs that heat food. We are having an extension done and living in the house at the same time. As the kitchen has been demolished, we needed something to augment an old microwave/convection oven and went for this. Given it is the middle of winter and the rear of the house is a gaping hole, this electric hob performs admirably. And apart from two minor irritations, it would get full points.
The first is you have to pre-warm the hob and the pot you intend to cook with otherwise it seems to loose quite a lot of heat. In its defence, the room we use is relatively cold at the moment and this would account for latent heat loss. So I won't take points off for that.

The second thing is that the whole hob gets hot.. the case is metal and conducts heat between the hobs. This caught us by surprise when we went to move it after use (something you would expect to be able to do with a "portable" hob). In reality, its not something that would cause me to recommend not buying - but something to watch out for when you are using it. Otherwise, great value, works well and we have used it effectively as a normal kitchen hob since we have had it.
on 24 April 2012
I'd been looking at, and handling, a few other single hobs before buying this one, so what impressed me out of the box was that this one actually has some weight to it -- the top disc seems pretty thick so I don't expect it to warp. Also, the rubber legs on the bottom combined with the weight mean that it doesn't slip around. So it's all nice and solid. The brushed-finish stainless steel top cover seems very thin, not even 0.8 mm / 20 guage by the looks of it, but I can't see how this matters as it's not especially structural and cleans the same regardless.

The dial seems sturdy and turns and audibly clicks on and off fine, but the numbers are simply raised, not painted, so you really have to peer at them close up to see them (mind long hair!). The light comes on when the hob is in the process of heating -- which means that even when the light isn't on, it doesn't mean that the dial isn't turned to a cooking position, as the hob may simply have reached the desired temperature, waiting to come back on when the temperature drops. So perhaps it may be an idea to leave the hob unplugged when not in use, as if you're not close up it's difficult to see if it's turned on or not (I can imagine an undesirable scenario involving a child). I was surprised that the plug wasn't injection moulded -- I thought they all were today; but still, that makes the plug easier to change, for instance, if doing a European two-pin conversion.

The hotplate is 18.5 cm diameter and recommended for up to 20 cm pans (good wok size as a previous reviewer says). It heats up quite quickly, and it really does cook. Considering the beneficial effect this product can have on your life (cooking!) and the overall build quality, I'm very pleased with it and think it's well worth the money. Will report back if longer-term testing changes that opionion!
on 21 June 2011
I bought one of these for use with our Bialette Mukka Cappuccino maker.
It is PERFECT.
Does the job faster than boiling a kettle would take!
We had tried a diffuser on the gas hob that took over 20 minutes.
This is so fast you don't even sit down before it's done.
I'm sure it'll be useful for things other than making coffee but, that's what we got it for!
Can't say any more than perfect!
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2010
I bought this for cooking on my outside patio and have not been disappointed. It's well designed, solid and ideal for tabletop cooking.

At 1500w it also packs a good punch and uses a gradation rather than the numbered click option to increase/decrease power which gives you more simmer control.

I feel it's excellent value and just as good as some of the higher priced models.
33 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2011
I purchased this hob specifically for cooking fish - which I enjoy - without smelling the whole house out - so I want to fry it outside in the garden.
It works splendidly. Even on a near-freezing day with a large (covered) saucepan there was easily enough power to fry my fish nicely. I've tried doing the same thing with a gas camping stove and it did not get hot enough. The unit looks nice and neat and sturdy and "does exactly what it says on the tin". It did take a fair while to heatup fully and around 30 minutes to fully cool down - but that is not a problem for me. And at around £15 including delivery it is great value for money.
on 27 March 2011
I live in sheltered accommodation and have a tiny kitchen so together with my microwave the Lloytron Table Top Mini Hob complements it very well and gives me all I need to produce a meal.
on 15 October 2008
My dad bought this based on the other reviews. He is very happy with it. It is very sturdy, and heats up fast. He had another one a few years ago which took ages to heat up. A good buy for the price.