on 1 September 2010
I bought this blind after reading an interview with the author who briefly mentioned that the body is discovered in a boot/trunk of a car at a Dairy Queen drive through window. Having worked three months at a Dairy Queen I wish I'd thought of that...I'm surprised more murders don't happen at fast food drive through windows!

I stayed up all night reading this, laughing! As a writer, I usually end up mentally rewriting sentences when I read fiction for fun (an obnoxious habit that's turned me into a very picky reader), but this was so good it pulled me in and silenced my internal editor. I loved the characters and the author's attention to detail. Five stars all the way!!!!! I've never had any desire to visit Florida, but after reading this I want to go visit the swamps...with some powerful bug spray...and someone who can wrestle stray alligators...and visit the local Dairy Queen for a butterscotch dip ice cream cone. Yummy!
on 24 September 2011
This book really made me smile. The characters are very believable and the Bauer family are the people I would love to live next door to. I enjoyed it tremendously.
Mace Bauer was looking forward to a nice quiet evening at home, but that was before Mama called from jail. Seems the body of a man was found in her trunk, and the nice, new detective in the little town of Himmarshee, Florida, seems to think that makes her a suspect. Mace knows that can't be the case, but the detective just won't listen. And so Mace starts poking around to find a better suspect. Can she prove her mother isn't a murderer?

This book is filled with great characters. Mace and her two sisters are very distinct, yet I liked all three of them. Mama is a hoot all by herself. And the other characters are equally memorable.

The plot is fairly decent. It seemed a little uneven at times, but the story was always compelling enough that I wanted to keep reading. Likewise, the climax was a bit weak. On the other hand, it was very exciting and had me turning pages to find out how it would all turn out.

This is a fun debut helped by the memorable characters. I'll definitely give the author another chance.
on 5 September 2011
There are three sisters , their Mama, boyfriends, ex's, Police, members of a church, car chases, mafia, wildlife, loan sharks all involved in this small town in Florida ,drawn together when a body is discovered. This was a funny, well written book with wonderful characters, the minor ones being memorable too, some danger and a fast pace. The ending left it open for more books & I can't wait. Well worth the time reading, & all for free.
on 2 October 2011
Not having read any of this authors books before and after reading all the positive reviews, I decided to give it a go especially as it was free. Am I glad that I did. Very well written and humourous throughout. You really get to know the characters as the story progresses. Mama is a wonderful character, her mannerisms and little quirky philosophies had me from the start. It's all there, if you like mystery, murder, suspence and lots of humour, this book is a must have. Deborah Sharp has been added to my favorite authors list.
on 19 September 2011
Janet Evanovich has a lot to answer for. The mystery writer spawned a thousand similar novels featuring the misadventures of a feisty heroine with good cop, bad cop boyfriends, straightlaced siblings and the eccentric family matriarch. Author Deborah Sharp takes these themes and moves the setting to rural Floria where she pulls it off triumphantly. In this very funny mystery novel, set in rural Florida. Her heroine Mace Bauer, an amazonian game park warden (who wrestles crocodiles), comes to the rescue of her ditzy mother Rosalee when she is arrested on suspicion of murder after a notorious local gangster is found dead in the boot of her car while she is at bingo. Various local characters make an appearance, Mace's uptight sisters, her mother's supersized New Yorker fiance (in line to be husband number 5), Mace's sexy ex boyfriend, cowboy and rodeo rider Jen Ennis, the enigmatic Detective Martinez, the sinister minister of the local church and his big boned wife Delilah, and a host of eccentric local characters. So many mystery novels are over written these days, full of extraneous detail but this is better than that. The gothic atmosphere and mosquito ridden landscape of rural Florida is evocatively described with just the right amount of detail. The plot is well constructed and the characters entertaining. Highly recommended and definitely worth reading.
on 11 September 2011
This easy-going tale of Southern life, with colourful characters, alligators and a mysterious miami cop was very enjoyable to snuggle up with on a rainy night. Nicely written, with decent plot twists and a really likeable heroine, it made me search out the author's other work. Well worth your time.
on 8 July 2012
This is my first step into the Mace Bauer mysteries and I'm so very glad I took that step. Mace's mama is locked up for a crime she obviously didn't and couldn't have committed, but it's the journey to first convince the authorities that it simply COULDN'T have been mama - the said authorities stubborn to a fault because of circumstantial evidence - and then also to find out who DID do the deed. Mace wants to clear her mother's name and find the culprit. There are many enjoyable twists and turns in this story with a little bit of danger thrown in. I loved Mace's character and her sisters added to the mix with Mama still the most central character to the story. This book is a little Murder-She-Wrote but a cozy mystery none-the-less. I absolutely loved it and proverbially 'couldn't put it down'until the last page was read.
on 18 September 2011
Fair enough I didn't pay for this but I can see why it is given away for free.

The writing style is that of a child, the humour is basic and the plot held no interest for me. I don't think I have read a worse book than this. Absolute Rubbish.
Mace works as an animal trapper in Florida where the rest of her decidedly odd family also reside. When a dead body is found in the boot of her mother's car Mace decides to investigate as the new-in-town detective suspects that Mama may be involved and even locks her up. Enlisting the help of her sisters and the suspicious (but hunky) detective, Mace works to prove Mama's innocence.

This is the sort of novel which could be described as "madcap" or as a "caper" and I could quite easily see it made into a fast moving cartoon. It is reminiscent of the writing of Janet Evanovich in many ways. I found it quite compelling and very enjoyable but do not expect much in the way of realism or deep thinking.