Customer reviews

vu du Menz
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 2 February 2002
Since buying this CD last summer, which I did on a whim on the basis of liking the CD cover, it has now easily entered my personal top 5. You have to realise that I am both a blues pianist and blues fan, so I have a big collection and picky tastes. So what's it like then? Well, it's just two blokes playing guitar and piano, both singing, and was obviously recorded live in a studio - with the occasional guest on percussion. But what feel, talent and rich, warm tones these guys exude from both their instruments and their voices. I cannot believe I hadn't heard of Henry Butler (piano) before last year; he's phenomenal, moving seemlessly between gospel, skiffle (complete with washboard) and the downright funky. He manages to combine graceful but grungy right hand with a left hand that just anchors the whole thing down to a foot stomping groove. Combine this with the mainly slide played acoustic and velvety voice of blues festival favourite Corey Harris, and you get this wonderful album. Lots of variety, great playing . .this is a corker.
on 9 June 2014
I bought this for Corey Harris but became an instant fan of Henry Butlers stylish piano playing. You can almost smell a New Orleans bar as they play. Not a weak track on it. The stand out track for me that I can't stop putting on repeat is " Let it roll". They just feed off each other and I would love to see them play live together.