on 19 March 2010
I was deeply impressed with this chemistry kit, I remember my sets from when I was little and although I am not that old (around 30) the more modern ones have generally been a little disappointing in what could be done and what included. This set is really rather good in terms of which chemicals are included and in how it guides one though the experiments. That said it is a little perscriptive and there is quite a lot of reading to be done before getting down to the fun. On the other hand for someone with a genuine interest in chemistry this is great, as it is proper science and not all fizzing and popping.
on 1 March 2010
A great set with heaps of experiments to do. My son was very excited about receiving this & couldn't wait to try out the experiments only he became a little impatient & wasn't too keen on having to read the instructions & write down notes as we went along as suggested in the instruction booklet. There are many more experiments to do but you have to purchase the other items which frustrated my son as we didn't have the items readily to hand. Having to wash & dry the utensils before each new experiment was beginning to become a chore! Overall, very educational. If I had had such a kit when I was younger, I'm sure I would've enjoyed chemistry more.
on 29 November 2011
This set is just what I wanted in order to introduce my ten-year-old granddaughter to chemistry. The set comes well packed, with a good range of simple equipment of sound quality, glassware not plastic and so giving the beginner ther feel of 'real' chemistry. The book lists a good set of basic experiments of considerble variety. We have had fun and interest so far, and intend to do more.
Have I any criticisms? Just one, that the quantities of reagents that come with the set are rather small. A child wants to see things happening at a rather larger scale. Therefore I would willingly have paid a few pounds more for a little more quantity, but I cannot fault the quality of this item.
The set, used with adult supervision, is safe, well chosen and offers the chance to range quite widely over simple but revealing experiments.
on 10 January 2010
My 11 year old son enjoyed doing the experiments in this kit, however was a bit diasspointed that there were no whizzes and bangs, but I guess you would have to pay much more for that sort of thing. Saying that, it is good value for money and kept him entertained for hours, which can't be bad!
on 13 January 2010
Bought this as a Xmas present for my 10 year old nephew who is a budding young scientist. He has thoroughly enjoyed this set, contains everything he needs for experiments and he loved it. Would thoroughly recommend it.
on 23 November 2010
Daughter home-schooled and using this to teach chemistry - seems to be doin good job - she enjoys it and it does seem to be getting her thinking and learning which is what i hoped.
on 20 February 2012
I have bought it for mid term break for my daughter and my husband they spent a whole morning reading and doing at least three experiments. Lidia said it was very interesting and eager to try all the other experiments.

last things the experiments that has been tried were easy to follow.
on 4 October 2010
I bought this set as it had the 'National Geographic' name and thought that would guarantee a good buy. I bought it over a month ago as a present for my child and it still has not been touched since it was unwrapped. She wanted a 'whizz bang pop' chemistry set. She got a 'zzzzzzzzzzzz' chemistry set. Boring is an understatement. I have now realised in this crazy world of compensation culture and health & safety, 'whizz bang pop' chemistry sets are no longer available. I have been desperately scanning the accompanying booklet looking for even the slightest interesting experiment to do - nothing. I am very disappointed. We actually have more fun doing 'kitchen chemistry' with products already available around the home.
on 3 March 2015
it was okay
on 9 May 2012
Don't know what contents are like as this is a present for grandchild but as it is from National Geographic I assume that it will be very good.