Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 17 August 2008
Oh dear..... I remember being won over by the top-notch musicianship, dry witty lyrics & clever songwriting (along with his unique voice) when I first discovered Dean Friedman's "Rocking Chair.." album back in the early 80's. That particular album contained some wry observations & touches of humour (along with some poignant ballads) that really made me smile. I remember reading about his "Rumpled Romeo" album at the time.....but alas, back in those days (pre-CD) I had real trouble trying to get hold of a copy....

Fast-forward to 2008 (and the era of re-issued back catalogues) and I finally lay my hands on this album (complete with bonus tracks)......and I wish I hadn't bothered!
There's nothing on here to equal the genius of earlier work such as "Ariel", "The Deli Song", "S & M", "I've Had Enough" or "Woman of Mine". Instead, we have an album full of mostly cringeworthy soppy, saccharine, twee ballads that have dated horribly. Occasional stabs of humour like "Special Effects" had my toes curling skywards (it has to be heard to be believed!) and songs like "First Date", "I Depend on You" and "Marginal Middle Class" had me reaching for the sick-bag!
There is the odd moment to enjoy: "McDonald's Girl" is okay - and the 4 extra bonus tracks go some way to save this from being a complete disaster. But it's very much of it's era (70's schmaltz)....and should probably stay there!

Sorry Dean, I love you man and you're a clever songsmith - but I'll stick to your earlier work thanks!
on 11 February 2001
Rumpled Romeo adds to the wonderful back catalog of artist that has clearly not been appreciated enough in his own country. Rumpled Romeo aside from the title track has a range of highlights that include "Mcdonalds Girl" which was a favourite with the BBC on it's orginal release as it was banned! Dean shares with his feelings and anxities on all the problems of dating and getting to know our loved ones in this selection of songs. The CD version has the added bonus of an extra 4 tracks (which never appeared on the original LP-which I bought!)with a lyric sheet booklet. For first time buyers do not hestitate as the quality of this release matches that of his previous releases "Dean Friedman" and "WELL, WELL" SAID THE ROCKING CHAIR. Sit back, slide the disc into your player and enjoy over an hour quality beautifully crafted songs.
on 19 February 2006
This is a fantastically nostalgic album. The whole album (original) covers the story of a young boy through from his first date to marriage and children. If you like the cringeworthy sopiness of Dean Friedman's writing technique you will love this album. Dean's New York accent lends itself well to the lyrics and the meanings of the songs. A great buy for any budding Dean Friedman fan as well as any lover of his previous albums. ENJOY
on 7 October 2002
While this is Dean's second or third best album (I know, out of five that isn't necessarily a compliment but I do like this, honest!) the best tracks are the bonus ones that were added on later. The special effects -and the track of the same name- are fun but in this age First Date sounds a little cringy. Dean's voice holds up well. My favourite track is The Lakelands and I don't know of this counts as properly part of the album considering it was not on the original. As always there are catchy luscious melodies but his habit of squelchy American sentiment can grate.
on 25 March 2007
I'm not sure who has added the word 'Jesus' to the end of the track title 'I depend on you' but the song certainly has nothing to do with religion and I feel sure it would be better to let the artist have their songs advertised as they appear on the album.
on 22 September 2014
Just a nice easy listen memory jerker albumn.Takes me back to my teenage years and like all musical time machines lets you relive snapshots of the past good and bad.This was one of his best in my opinion.
on 6 November 2014
Lovely item, good price and arrived quickly