Customer reviews

Christmas A Go-Go
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 11 November 2012
Don't delay buy this today.
Like the Phil Spector album this will be a Christmas favourite for many years to come.
Compiled by Little Steven you just know the track selection will be good.
Kicking off with a rare Keith Richards track you are taken on a sleigh ride of
alternative Christmas songs (although Wizzard manages to be included).
Great tracks by Darlene Love, The Kinks,Clarence Carter and my favourite
'Jingle Bells' by the Electric Prunes plus artists and tracks you may never have
heard of.
Housed in a neat digi sleeve and originally released in 2008 this is a must for
any collection.
When all the mince pies have been eaten and the decorations taken down you
may not want to put this away.

Happy holidays.
One person found this helpful
on 24 December 2012
Found this CD by chance while searching for the great Keith Richards version of run rudolph run. With the exeption of the latter there were only 2 other tracks I had heard before. The outstanding track in my opinion being the Ramones "merry xmas (i don't wnna fight tonight). If you are sick of band aid,shakin stevens and wham this is for you.
4 people found this helpful
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 September 2014
When I first discovered this album, I wasn't sure what to make of it, based on the track listing. Among tracks that I mostly hadn't heard by the specific artists, I noticed my all-time favorite Christmas rock song - Roy Wood and Wizzard's I wish it could be Christmas everyday. It certainly sits well among the other tracks here, but then I checked and confirmed that this is an American compilation. For whatever reason, this track was not an American hit, so the song is a rarity there. Actually, it seems that Roy Wood and Wizzard didn't have any American hits, but that's fair enough. Any American who visits Britain in December will find this song in regular rotation and therefore difficult to avoid hearing.

While I didn't need that track, its presence here offered me some reassurance that the compiler (who happens to be Steve Van Zandt) has good taste in rock music. While I might quibble slightly about the selections in one or two cases, I am quite impressed by what's here. I didn't know that the Kinks or Keith Richards had recorded any Christmas songs. while there are some artists who I'd never heard of who also sound impressive.

This is a very different compilation from most Christmas compilations, and is certainly one that I can recommend to a lot of people, including some who don't necessarily share my taste in rock music. Fantastic.

Tracks

19 Father Christmas - The Kinks
20 Merry Christmas - Jean Beauvoir
2 people found this helpful
on 13 April 2009
This is a really good Christmas CD for fans of rock and blues.

Good to have Keith Richard's "Run Rudolph Run" available on an official CD for the first time I believe. Other highlights include Rufas Thomas "I'll be your Santa baby" and Chesterfield King's "Hey Santa Claus"

Overall, no duff tracks on this album, some of which overlaps with the Christmas with the Kranks CD.

For me it is up there with the Phil Spector album and "A Very Special Christmas" Vol 1.
5 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2009
An excellent Christmas CD compiled by (Little) Steven Van Zandt, and a great alternative to the compilations of Christmas songs that have been heard to death. Highlights include Father Christmas by The Kinks, Keith Richards' great cover of Run Run Rudolph, Soupy Sales's Santa Claus Is Surfing To Town and Joe Pecsi, yes the actor, with his should be yuletide classic, If It Doesn't Snow At Christmas. Very highly recommended.
3 people found this helpful