Customer reviews

Songs Of No Consequence
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 1 June 2005
I have now listened to Graham Parker's new album Songs of no Consequence 7-8 times in a couple of days and I get more and more impressed for each listen. This one is a real grower.
We GP fans, we're really blessed. How does he manage to keep on pumping out so much good music, and with the variety the last three albums represent? I must say there is NO one in his generation today that manage to sound so fresh and hungry as GP.
There is absolutely no fillers on the new album, I wouldn't want to replace any of the songs. The songwriting is top notch, the vocals are better than ever and the Figgs is a perfect match to our young oldie. They know both how to rock hard and to hold back when suitable.
In my book this is pop in its purest form. Melodies loaded with memorable hooks - spiced up with some reggae and rhythm and blues - and clever lyrics.
Vanity Press is a perfect opener. Elvis Costello should listen to this and remember what he used to be able to...
She swallows it and Ambivalent reminds me of the best songs from Struck by Lightning.
Chloroform has that killer groove that I love, and the scat song by GP in between the verses has to be heard to be believed. It's so good that you can forgive that the whole song is a rip-off from Obsessed with Aretha from Acid Bubblegum.
Evil is a solid reggae number, with some added pop hooks. One of the strongest lyrics on the album and the Figgs's playing is terrific.
Suck'n'Blow is a rocking thing, with some cool guitar licks. It's hard to describe but it is one of my favorites on the album.
Go little Jimmy is an acoustic bluesy number, different than the others, that fits in perfectly.
Local Boys is Local Girls #2 lyricwise. Musically it is more straightforward but is is as catchy as the original.
Did everybody just get old is very dylanesque, when he is in his most spiritual and enjoyable mood.
Did I say that I like the album?
//Ulf
11 people found this helpful
on 5 July 2005
Two words - True Grit. A fine selection of rocking arias and Parkeresque balads of the finest vintage. I've had it on my stereo continually and it certainly grows. There are lots of nuances of chordal structure and wordplay. The man is developing well! His voice whines and gnarls along emotive rollercoasters The whole record sounds with one voice. Well done GP.
One person found this helpful
on 7 December 2010
A great collection of songs from Graham Parker on the bluesier end of the rock spectrum. I recommend this album equally to long-term fans and those who have never heard of GP.
One person found this helpful