on 4 August 2011
absolutely brilliant originally bought for my 2 year old as bright and i thought it would help with his colour learning it has also got the attention of my 4 and 5 years olds who are learning to read and find it great that the words are written underneath each fish so they can spell it out whilst playing. they all like to mix the colours and make new fish. very good for teaching colours would highly recommend
on 11 October 2014
Have bought loads of Melissa and Doug over the years and am never disappointed with the quality. This was no different and the recipient of this loved the shapes and colours and started playing with it straight away.
on 24 July 2011
Within a week of playing with this toy with my 22 months old, she learned to recognise and name 7 colours. We had been repeating the basic colours' name to her previously but I think the fish did the trick! she is also having great fun mixing and matching them on her own.
on 2 June 2011
This puzzle is great to teach colors to children, my son is nearly 2 and loves it and he learned all the colors from this puzzle! My only "but" is the orange and red are quite similar tone color, if the orange will be more brighter like an orange fruit, there would be a better difference between both colors. Apart of that the puzzle is very well made and a lot of entertainment if your child is keen on puzzles. A perfect gift for a 2 years old child.
on 3 August 2011
My daughter (20 months) loves this and it's doing a really good job of teaching her colours and matching. It's well-made and a really attractive puzzle to look at too.
on 13 November 2010
I got this for my 2 year old son, who has a speech delay, to try and help him learn his colours as 'fish' is one of the words he can say :).

Its a nice toy, lovely bright colours, and for added fun you can 'mix and match' the colours of the fish, which my 4 year old seems to enjoy doing.
on 28 April 2011
I got this great toy for my little girl (she's 2 years old). This hand crafted toy is really well made and has great colours and design.
This is one of my fovourite toys and it improves motor skills and learning colours.
Maybe a couple of magnets could be a good improvement. They would have avoided the fishes to be scattered when the child take the board on her/his lap.
on 30 April 2012
Bought for 2.5y old still struggling with colours. This is helping. Colours are bright and the wooden pieces are robust. Hope they will last.
on 14 October 2011
I got this as a gift for my little boy from elsewhere because I loved the look of it so much. This one I actually got for a friends little boy as my son has had so much fun from his.
It states for ages 2+ but my son is just reaching 18 months and can complete it straight away putting them in the correct colours. However it's still giving him great joy plus plenty more learning potential as we are now attempting to learn the names of the colours. So far he hasn't got bored with this unlike many of his other toys and it is played with daily. Its bright and has interchangeable bits so it makes a great toy for development plus at this price how can you go wrong. I just wish they did more like this I'd buy them all.
My only criticism is that the top layer is made from paper, so it's not very durable for cleaning. My son has nibbled at some of them a little causing some damage. This would get 5 stars all round if only it was painted.
on 2 April 2013
We are huge fans of melissa and doug products and I regulary email them with feedback and issues. Melissa and doug frustrate me in some respects as all their products do need minor improvements and this I see should be foreseen in the testing/ trialling stages. (like lids)

However this one I picked up in TK max at 3.99 bargain so I put it away planning to give it to Florence on her second birthday, however at 20 months we have been working on colours so I decided to dig it out to see if she would like it.
Our colour work has obviously worked as she proudly placed each piece in it's place and then proceeded to tell me each colour, when she had finished she also replied " mummy, clap please"

All in all a lovely idea and puzzle but be warned that a two year old may have a limited play time left with this piece. Start at maybe 18 months and use it as something to work towards.

Highly recommend this puzzle as one of the much better pieces of Melissa and doug range.