on 18 October 2017
Great album, love it.
on 15 August 2014
Great album.
on 3 March 2017
Great lyrics with a diverse choice of tunes
on 28 March 2017
Perfect. Thanks
on 27 December 2004
Anyone who likes the perfect blend of good old hard rock and your dare I say it, slower tracks will find the perfect blend with Shinedown. On first listen the first thing that slapped me about the head was the astounding vocal range of Brent smith. At times you feel he would be right at home in a band like In flames, however thankfully with this band he lets himself SING with enough aggression that the song determinds. Fans of Alterbridge,Tantric and come to think of it any good hard rock band will not be let down. Buy the cd with the extra tracks 'the sanford sessions' and you will have the acoustic track of the year 'simple man' standout tracks '45','better version'. Buy this and turn it up loud.
on 25 March 2016
this CD came on Thursday
on 26 March 2010
This is my first Shinedown CD and I just feel there is something missing in the production of the tracks. All musicians and singer are excellent in their own right but they do not gel together as well as I would of liked. I am a long time Creed fan and also have discovered Alter Bridge in the last couple of years and both those bands' harmonies record or come across better. What I am talking about is the mood or momentum of each song on this CD is not being fully supported by each member. I keep feeling somebody is letting the side down as the rest of the band build either a crescendo or bridge a chorus. It is hard to pin point the problem but feel if they had sorted it then Shinedown might have already become a more renowned band. This CD does have some original ideas and some pleasant tracks but is not a collection that will go down as an epic where so many other bands have raised the bar. However, this will not put me off trying another CD of theirs as I have heard another song of theirs played on a rock station lately and definitely would give that one 5 stars. I will keep an open mind and fair judgment on their other material. Regards.
on 27 May 2004
I first heard about Shinedown when listening to songs online. the song of thiers which came up was 45, which i listened to and thought was absolutely amazing. After hearing this, i told a friend of mine about the band, and she said she already had their album. I borrowed it immediately. On first listen, my first instincts were the same as those when i listened to the evanescence album: It was far too samey. However, after listening to it another time through, i realised the individual beauty of each song's lyrics and the undeniable sense of emotion behind the music which the band had created.
The album opens with a calmer song (well, compared to the rest of the album), and gradually becomes harder throughout, returning to a powerful, but slower tempo finale.
Though the album is now one of my favourites, i still think that the best song on it is 45, which rounds off a fantastic collection in the best way imaginable.
on 20 January 2006
They certianly left more than that. Having played the album through several times now, there are definately some growers on here. I definately recommend buying this particular album with the bonus tracks on. Simple Man is one of my favourite Shinedown songs, and the 45 acoustic is suprisingly as powerful as the original. However, the album fades a bit in the middle, with the strong songs coming at the start and end, but this shouldn't stop you from buying this powerfully sung album.
on 29 April 2008
Theres not much more I can say really; every song is exceptional, with my personal favourites being "45" and "In Memory". This album is one of the best I've ever heard.

I felt that the addition of "45 (Acoustic)" and "Burning Bright (Sanford Sessions)" really push this album into the higher tier of albums; a feat which few artists make.

The "Simple Man" cover, I think, doesn't really fit in with the ethos of this album, but the song is ok.

Overall, if you like rock music, get this album.