Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 21 May 2010
I bought this wondering whether my memories of the quality of the stories, the acting and beautiful locations in India would match the reality of watching this series 25 years on.I am delighted to say that the quality I recalled was not idle nostalgia but was based on a true recollection of the sheer quality of the production values and the enjoyment of watching a long series over a number of weeks ,just as was done in the 1980s.The slow pace IS one of the great virtues affording time for the characters and varied parallel stories of the Raj in India to develop and allowing one's own thoughts about that period to mature.The finest acheivment of ITV and a worthy contender to the BBC's "Tinker Taylor.." series and "I, Claudius" as the finest British TV ever. I sadly feel it is true"They don't make programmes of this quality now"
on 27 January 2012
I too watched and enjoyed this series when it was first televised. Of course at that time we'd had nothing like "Heimat" - not to mention "The Wire". I've just finished watching the series for the second time on this DVD set. I enjoyed it immensely - for much the same reasons as many other reviewers have commented on. I would however say that the script sometimes flags a little. I found the excessive amount of time devoted to the "Barbie Batchelor" character played by Peggy Ashcroft a little wearisome.

The most revealing thing about this series is the light it throws on the British class system (I almost wrote "caste"...) I imagine we're all aware that the colonial system was run by the same classes who controlled everything at home, even if they often consigned their dimmer offspring to service in the colonies. There isn't a single likeable and well-adjusted working-class or even middle-class character in the story. Indeed the entire plot revolves around the loathsome grammar school boy Ronald Merrick's attempts to ascend the social ladder.

Whilst the story does a fine job of outlining the conflicts within the Indian independence movement it also reveals the vile social attitudes prevailing within the British ruling classes. Of course these days they've learned to disguise these attitudes much more effectively. However the instant recognition registered between characters the moment "Chillingborough" is mentioned gives cause for reflection on the current make-up of the British Cabinet. Plus ça change, as we say in Europe...

Not having read every review here let me add, in case no one else has, an honorable mention of Judy Parfitt for her brilliant reading of the foul, alcoholic, Mildred Layton. This performance stands with Tim Piggot-Smith's as JITC's principal villains.
on 10 March 2015
As perfect as I remembered it to be. Provided hours of wallowing in superb programme-making. A cast that didn't look like super-models. Brilliant parts for older women (who were actually old, not 38 year olds with a bit of grey dye in their hair), wonderful music. Subtle, clever, beautiful and moving. But then the source material is so much more intelligent than something like Indian Summers, which is like Carry on up the Khyber in comparison.
on 28 April 2017
Enjoying this so much as I never saw it in 1984.
on 9 December 2011
First I read the books and then I watched the TV series - didn't think they could do justice to the wonderful novels but they did! A stunning series about the final years of the British Raj with all its tensions and faults. Political intrigue and a tragic love story play out against the turbulent backdrop of India's fight for independence, all executed by a great cast of actors. Highly recommended.
on 28 June 2017
Good item
Fanatstic
on 13 November 2010
This was a brilliant series in its day -- the sort of thing television doesn't do any more -- and stands the test of time well. It has been digitally re-mastered and is a joy to watch. Amazon, as always, is the perfect retailer.
on 1 November 2016
Excellent| Arrived very promptly, thank you.
on 24 March 2011
I bought this DVD as a gift for my husband on his birthday. We had both seen it when it was first screened..oh so long ago..so I was a little nervous as to how it had stood the test of time.
My fears were groundless as we were both absolutely enthralled by the entire series.
Brilliant acting - not a weak link anywhere!Superb locations and a story that is as relevant now as it ever was.
I could not recommend it highly enough.