Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 December 2008
I first heard of Susan Tedeschi on US blues news groups where some people argued that a young, middle-class teenager couldn't sing the blues - I hadn't heard her so I reserved judgement. When I eventually saw her at the Bishopstock festival the omens weren't good - she was clean-cut and gawky, with teddy bear transfers on her Telecaster. However, the moment she started singing there was no doubt in my mind, she had 'it' (whatever 'it' is) with a wonderful, powerful voice and the ability to convey emotion through a deep understanding of the blues.

Unfortunately up to now I don't think that Susan has made a fully successful record that has lived up to her huge potential and for me this, her latest record, also falls short. In some circles it has been judged as a return to form and the tougher sound of her earlier albums, following her previous album of covers "Hope and desire", produced by Joe Henry.

Personally I liked the variety of "Hope and desire" and I find this record a bit too full of similar sounding uptempo blues/funk, both Susan's own songs and also Allen Toussaint's "There's a Break in the Road" (the only cover). However, there are successes - despite the clunky title "700 houses" is a fantastic song, sang with real emotion, I also really like the other slower songs "Love will" and "Revolutionize your soul". The title song features a guest appearance from Tony Joe White and hubby Derek Trucks adds his soulful slide guitar to sevral tracks.

Although Susan's voice was already fantastic when she emerged on the scene, it has matured since and is now up there with the best blues and rock singers. This record has shown her as an emerging song writer but I think she still needs really good songs to match her sensational voice and sympathetic production to enhance it. I'm still waiting for the definitive Susan Tedeschi record...
on 1 September 2009
Having really enjoyed Susan Tedeschi's last cd offering ( 2005 Hope and Desire) after having seen a great performance from her on the EC "Crossroads " DVD - buying this cd was a no brainer.

I guess I had pretty strong expectations and after listening to the first track " Talking About" ... the expectations went even higher.

Oddly and unfortunately this 1st track is the jewel in the crown and in spite of some great backing tracks - solid guitar stuff from husband Derek Trucks and help from Doyle Bramhall II the album as a whole does not really take off. Kinda sits in a groove ( which is quite pleasant but doesn't really seem to take off or go anywhere.

I absolutely agree with a previous reviewer .. Susan has a great voice that deserves memorable, solid songs. I wonder if an album of some real Blues Standards would work better than some of the home grown stuff.

Not sorry I bought the album ..but Susan has so much more to offer..she just needs to find the right vehicle to set it it
on 9 May 2010
My first Susan Tedeschi album was Hope and Desire, an album of covers. It took three or four playings for it to anchor with me, but it has stayed in my car CD changer for over a year. Whereas Hope and Desire showed off Susan's interpretation of other people's songs with a soul, gospel and folk feel, Back to the River is an album of Susan's own songs and showcases her blues, rock and funk influences in her songwriting as well as her performances.

This album starts with Susan in rock chick mode. "Somebody knows what you're talking about" features Susan's earthy, throaty vocals as well as an exquisite bottleneck guitar duet from husband Derek Trucks. The album proceeds in gentler mode but throughout the songs and vocals are lovely and I can hear Robert Cray, Jimi Hendrix and Duane Allman influences in the guitar work.

This album has grown on me with playing and I love it. Susan, somebody knows what you're talking about - and my wife thinks that you're fab too!

Jonathan from Portishead, Somerset
on 21 April 2010
Talk about a slow burner! I wasn't that smitten with this to start with, but I just keep returning to it now. She will always be likened to Bonnie Raitt, but I feel Susan Tedeschi is breaking out in her own direction now with a very high quotient of original tunes. The musicianship is extraordinary and altogether live with a minimum of studio trickery. Beautiful stuff and really honest to goodness, which is pretty rare in this cynical and artificial age
on 20 July 2015
Bland, middle of the road blues rock, unconvincing , unengaging and lacking heart. Kind of like a Grace Potter cd with all the hooks and fun taken out
on 27 December 2013
Susan Tedeschi is my favourite female singer of the present time. She never just sings a melody. She always gives it an extra twist of soul!
on 11 August 2013
I Have just recently discovered susan tedeschi. I heard susan sing with derek trucks band. I really loved her voice so i bought this album. I was not disappointed.It is 1 of the best albums i have bought this year.
on 1 June 2016
GOOD MUSIC AND DELIVERY WAS VERY GOOD.
on 11 March 2013
I have only recently come across the Tedeschi Trucks Band, and have really got into this album - I love it! A good mix of tunes, well presented and beautifully played - Simply brilliant!
on 23 July 2014
Bought this for a friend, he likes it.