I first found this product some years ago when ordering some items from a mail-order kitchen equipment supplier and needed something inexpensive to add to meet a minimal P&P-free value. It was a type of product I used and it was worth spending less than £1 to save six or seven! I was pleasantly surprised that the product was a very good one.

I do a lot of bread-making and sometimes use a bread-maker or large food mixer to make the doughs. When I started, I used to use a supermarket own brand dried yeast that came in 1/4 ounce (7g sachets). Three times out of four it would work and not on the fourth. I then changed to another sachet brand, one by a quality flour maker and found that better, but not 100% and rather pricier.

Having started to use the Doves Farm yeast, I have yet to have a failure after probably 15 or more packs and it appears to cause a higher rise than I was getting before. I believe it to contain a 'yeast improver' for that purpose.

I learned that yeast freezes well and, as it seemed crazy to pay £5 or more P&P for something then costing £1, more or less, I buy 3 or 4 at a time, usually with something else. As I use it frequently, a pack can last 5 or 6 weeks, although usually double, before it is empty, so I store the spares in the freezer tray. They will stay frozen quite happily for about 18 months if necessary but I remove a pack about 2 days in advance and store in the fridge. Once open, it is re-sealed and stays on a fridge shelf. If you do not use it frequently, seal the pack (an elastic band will do), store it in a small zip-seal bag and return it to the freezer to extend its life. Do not attempt to freeze fresh yeast; you will kill it!

Although intended for use only in bread machines, I find it equally effective with a food mixer and also when hand-mixing. If a recipe demands a slow rise, or two or more rise stages and many do, you will need an active yeast. I therefore always have both on hand. Sometimes, a dough may need a kick-start to rise, so I will use about 1/4 teaspoon less of the dried yeast and substitute a similar quantity of the quick variety.

A reliable product from a very good specialist brand, quite inexpensive (from many suppliers) and cheap enough to hold in reserve. Very useful for anyone making bread, pizzas, many bun varieties or even Danish pastries and much more besides.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2012
As it says in the headline, this yeast is first class for all baking needs. Importantly, it is the best I have found for the bread making machine.

Arrived quickly and item is exactly as required, fresh stock. Transport a little pricey for single item orders.
on 8 April 2013
It is so much easier to measure out yeast by the spoonful or parts thereof for use in my breadmaker and I waste such a lot using the individual packets. I had to have this item sent to a friend in UK and then shipped out to me in Cyprus which was time consuming but worth the effort.
on 19 September 2013
I don't do bread baking however for brewing alcoholic beverages beers wines etc it's fantastic ...the natural process of this yeast is slow in comparison to turbo yeasy ... slow is good for the taste and quality and this yeast makes the difference in that !!
This yeast works really well. I've tried all sorts of different yeasts over the years, but this one is the only one that consistently produces perfect results every time. I make a lot of bread, and this yeast has not yet let me down. As with many of the Doves farm products, I'm really impressed.

Recommended.
on 21 October 2015
I have bought three of these and I don't know if its a case of getting a bad batch or not but even when the recipe is followed to the letter and the yeast is stored accordingly so as not over heat it etc and inadvertently kill it this stuff has not been making my einkorn recipes rise.........may just be a bad batch or killed somehow based on how the sellers are storing it. I'm going to switch to alinson instead I think and see what happens.
on 16 July 2013
Paul Hollywood recommends Dove quick yeast in his book, that's why I tried it. It really is superb yeast. I haven't had a 'failure loaf' using this yeast yet. It's always been excellent bread.
on 25 October 2014
I had some disappointing results with Morrisons fast dried yeast.
So. I bought three packs of this product from Amazon and...
I ran two tests, baking identical loaves on the same morning, using Lidls strong white flour and the recipe on the side of the packet.
With one loaf I used Morrisons fast action dried yeast 7g sachet. With the second, I used 7g of Dove Farms dried quick yeast.
The Morrisons yeast loaf was about two thirds of the size of the Dove Farms loaf. The latter was much lighter and generally a better texture throughout.
From here on, I shall only ever use Dove Farms yeast
on 15 April 2013
I was so looking forward to trying this after reading all the great reviews. I have been using Allisons for my bread machine up to now but my 3 local supermarkets don`t seem to have any at the minute so with the great reviews on Doves Farm Quick yeast, I thought I would give it a go. Oh dear, i`m so dissapointed! Firstly I can`t believe the weight of the loaf, its so heavy, not light & fluffy like I have been used to with the Allisons brand yeast. I made one loaf putting the yeast (on its own) into the bread maker first (as advised to do so in my Panasonic bread making manuel) & one loaf mixing the yeast with the flour first (as advised on the yeast packet) both loaves were heavy & not in the slightest light & fluffy. I am now going to order my usual Allisons brand online & throw the Doves Farm one away. What a waste & what a dissapointed!
on 6 February 2013
I was looking to buy some yeast, not really appreciating that there were such vast differences in quality and performance. I read the review by Claptonian and, at the time, I was slightly scepical but thought I would give it a go. After using it just once in my breadmaker I was a convert, the results were truely amazing, the bread had risen much more than it had in the past and it was gorgeouly light and fluffy. I shall never again use anything other than Doves Farm Quick Yeast when making bread!