Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 20 March 2006
Forget the all too average 'Night At Red Rocks' DVD. The band as seen on this new DVD - 'Lovely To See You' is The Moody Blues completely rejuvenated and on magnificent form. Gone are the strained vocals of Justin Hayward as heard on the earlier DVD - here his voice sounds as fresh as the day they recorded 'Nights In White Satin', and his guitar playing has been subject to some serious workout. Here is the man all Moodies fans grew to appreciate for his superb musicianship and he is completely back on top, showing why The Moody Blues have survived all these long years when many other bands have fallen by the wayside. John Lodge, too, is on great form and its so good to hear 'Talking Out Of Turn' from the 1981 album 'Long Distance Voyager' performed so beautifully.
The set list is extremely well chosen and provides a really successful balance between classic tracks and great songs that have sometimes disappeared from their sets.
Sound and picture quality are both top notch, with the DTS 5.1 surround providing a particularly atmospheric soundscape through a decent home cinema rig.
Watching this DVD I am so glad we've got tickets booked to see them in October - if they are as good as this its going to be a night to remember!
on 25 April 2006
Have been going to see the Moodies for more years than I care to remember and watched the lineup change and their hair (and mine) get greyer, but their musicianship and songwriting ability never seems to diminish with the passage of time.

Saw them play virtually this set a couple of years ago, and was so impressed that I thought I'd add this DVD to the collection. I bought it with some trepidation, as none of us are getting any younger, but I can only agree with M Ash in the previous review - the angel-voiced Justin Hayward is on peak form (as are the rest of the band), the sound quality, especially of Justin's famous 335 is brilliant and Norda Mullen's flute playing is nothing less than wonderful.

Roll on the next tour!!!

Well the next tour has indeed rolled on. Saw them at Nottingham a couple of weeks ago and again the quality of the performance was breathtaking - wonderful sound, note and word perfect and Justin Hayward definitely has a picture in the attic!!
on 12 June 2015
I've enjoyed the original DVD release of this concert for many years. So was the purchase of the Blu-ray worth it? Without doubt. The DVD was presented with an excellent image and good sound track with the DTS standing out. I never bought the BR expecting a big difference in the quality of the image but it is certainly there. Colours are more saturated, blacks are deeper without any evidence of crush and there is plenty of detail coming through, really does show the beads of sweat on the musicians and the facial details are excellent.

As with any BR music video it is the quality of the sound reproduction that is important. The disc has three sound tracks, a lossless DTS-MA 5.1, a lossy DD 5.1 and stereo PCM. The DTS-MA is excellent and loud. There are points in the sound track that was hard to pick up on the original DVD DTS. Backing volcals are far more distinct, the flute has more sparkle to it. Bass is deeper, get anywhere reference level and the LFE will have the sub-woofer jumping for joy. Everything is well held together though, LFE fills the room, it is almost as if you were there in the concert.

Worth the up grade? You bet.

Reviewed on Panasonic TXP-50VT65. Denon DBT-3313, Denon AVR-2310 (in pure direct).
on 17 August 2017
A good history of the Moodies. But they're obviously long past their best
on 23 May 2006
This is a excellent video of The Moody Blues performing songs from their older albums that they have not sung live for over 30 years. "The Actor","Are you sitting Comfortably" and "Higher and Higher" are some of the many highlights of this concert. The Moody Blues have not lost any of their "electricity" on stage, and the addition of Norda Mullin on flute is great.
on 22 October 2014
excellent product,very pleased
on 20 December 2005
Not since Caught Live + 5 has there been a Moodies live album without an orchestra. The quality of this recording is phenomenal and so is the playing and singing. It's a real treat for Moodies fans and anyone who appreciates good music. Justin Hayward is in fine vocal form and plays lyrical guitar, while John Lodge's base is rich, deep and melodic. Support flute-player Norda Mullen is a fine replacement for Ray Thomas, who retired due to ill-health, and her energy is obvious on such classics as The Actor and Are You Sitting Comfortably, two tracks from the "Core 7" albums recorded in the 1960s which sound as fresh and lively as if they had been first written and recorded last week. Then there's Graeme Edge's thundering Higher and Higher, a tremendous rip-roarer of a track. After 40-odd years, you'd think a band would be tired and washed-out, but for all their critics, the Moody Blues are one of the best live acts around today. Please let's have a new studio album!
on 26 March 2008
As a life long "Moody Blues" fan who has seen the band several times as well as owning a fair sized collection of their albums on both vinyl and c.d. I have sadly, to say that I was so disappointed in this "Live" HD-DVD.
They have always been my favorite band, and, will continue to be my favorite band,my favorite time being pre "Blue Jays" days when the band were at the peak of their powers,although they produced some good stuff when they got back together in 1978,for me some of the magic had gone.
I saw them a couple of times after they reformed with Patrick Moraz having replaced Mike Pinder, and just felt then that something was missing.
This concert had all the ingrediants for a great concert, but I have to say that for me, the sound was flat, and, the vocals were not very good to say the least,especially John's. It is so hard to be critical of a band that have given me so much pleasure over the years,and will continue to do so in years to come via my collection of their music but sad to say that as a live act the magic has gone and no amount of nostalgia will change that fact..I am being generous in giving it a 3 star rating,simply for the fact that I can't bring myself to rate it less, simply because it is the Moodies
on 30 November 2006
I was lucky enough to see the MBs at the Albert Hall on two nights during their 2006 UK tour, and well what can I say, they had the crowd on their feet sharing a great night of music. I was so glad that I bought this DVD, so at least I can relive the music (with a couple of changes from the UK tour) and the enthusiasm of the band. After having seen them again prior to 2006 with and without an orchestra, I must admit I much prefer the band nowadays as they are (exc. orchestra). They seem to just 'enjoy' the night more and it seems a more personal relationship with the fans. Their voices and musicianship just seem to be getting better and better. I wish though the cameras could have been at the RAH videoing the fans 'in sync' with their lightsticks to'The Other Side of Life', a joy to watch! This should keep us all going until we meet the MBs again during their next tour. I admit that I have only come back to listening to the MBs in the last 10years since my introduction to them in the 1970s (shame on me!) - What a re-discovery, they have my utmost respect for their songwriting, musicianship, love of music and great live performances, plus their honest repsect and appreciation of their fans. A great DVD.
on 30 October 2006
I've been a fan of the Moody's from the beginning, and despite the passing of time, their music is as fresh as ever. This DVD highlights the great musicianship and talents of a unique band, and is a must have for inclusion in any Moody Blues fans' collection. Buy it!!!