on 24 October 2011
I ordered this as a replacement for a "10 year battery type" that only lasted 6 years, I thought the escape light and replaceable battery would a be a good idea. Initial thoughts on ease of installation, build quality etc. were very favorable, unfortunately I could not live with it as it would regularly sound off for no apparent reason, it seems even a breath of fresh air would set it off. I tried all sorts including repositioning the device, there is sadly a lack of support on their website, surprising for such an important device. In desperation I returned the item (full marks to Amazon for making this so easy) and purchased a "Fireangel" device which has worked faultlessly. I suspect this was a faulty device rather than a poor model but have to rate it on the device I had, hopefully others will have a better experience.
on 10 April 2010
Good instructions fit on the ceiling easily, Unobtrusive,already saved the house from a chip pan fire, Worth every penny.
on 22 May 2010
Excellent smoke alarm based upon photoelectric sensing technology. NB probably reduced incidence of nuisance alarms from cooking smoke or steam compared to ionization based alarms. Easy to fit and quick access battery compartment. Recommended.
on 28 October 2013
Service - Ordered with the fast day delivery. Order arrived this morning and well packaged and in a speedy manner. Cannot fault that.

Product - Good fire safety instructions but upon installing the supplied battery the drawer was a very very tight fit. Hard if you have arthritis. Within seconds of installing the battery and testing the test button the unit started to smoke and the escape light barely lit before completely fizzing out. At best it was like a tiny Christmas tree light. This was a very poor escape light this product also only has a incandescent bulb which have a shorter life & less effective than the super bright blue light on a Fireangel escape light smoke on our old ionisation FireAngel Bluescape light. Sending this faulty and poor product back for a refund and I am afraid that I would not recommend this product to anyone nor would i buy this one again. I have seen a 10 year Kidde as this has an optical sensor but i need it to also have a light. Important to me that the unit has a bright LED light that will cut through thick smoke. Fire service recommend that each household has at least one ionisation (living room) and one optical fire alarm (hallways/landings/bedrooms). i may well buy the Fireangel ionisation one again for the light as much as the alarm. Wish it were European Law that every unit has a LED light and every product spec online states whether ionisation or optical as not always clear from the initial search. Second one of these First Alert Photoelectric optical (with light) alarm did not go off despite many 'tests' of smoke particles despite the Test button sounding when pressed??!! False sense of security. Avoid.
on 29 October 2013
First Alert Photoelectric Escape Light Smoke Alarm With 10-Year Guarantee
Received item after 8 days & on inspection appears of good quality construction with excellent sound but light doesn't appear adequate to direct you to your escape route in the event of a smoke filled corridor but perhaps it may give you a small indication? hopefully this situation will never arise. Purchased this alarm on reading the reviews which where quite favourable & believe this to be a quality product. Small red light blinks only during & after a test temporarily, but alarm will alert you as to when battery needs changing. Not overly sensitive as I smoked a cigarette just to test this type of smoke in its vicinity & NO alarms, but its designed for more smouldering type of smoke e.g. furniture / carpet etc. Extremely easy to install with easy access drawer for battery replacement. Unfortunately my battery supplied with this unit was past its sell by date & after contacting customer care to request a new battery, to my surprise Amazon is sending me a complete new complimentary smoke alarm & I can keep the original with depleted battery. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM AMAZON!!
on 6 July 2014
As others have said - worked fine for 1.5 years until replacing the battery, then continually beeped (despite trying multiple batteries - all the recommended manufacturer brand - and all tested via my multimeter). Several attempts to contact the manufacturer about the issue and guarantee have all been met with no response whatsoever, which makes it worthless.
on 23 January 2013
We got this because the one in our house was really old and always left with the batteries out as it was so sensitive it would go off every time you made toast and grilled sausages. It was also ideal to have a silence button as our old one didn't, and even with the batteries back in you'd have to waft the smoke away.
It was a good price and we tested it to see it worked well. It was easy to attach to the ceiling - just needed one more screw in place as it measured differently to the existing one we had. Since we've had it for 4-5 months it's only gone off a couple of times when we were without heating and I was using the shower, creating much steam through the open door. It was ear splitting then and the light was clear, so evidently it would be good in an emergency. The silence button worked well though and it shuts up promptly after you press it and doesn't go off again.
Fortunately though we have not had an emergency, and now I can cook sausages and make toast without worrying about an alarm will go off but also sleep sound knowing I'll be awoken if the house is on fire
on 8 December 2015
Dangerous! Came into my kitchen the top meter of the room full or smoke he alarm completely surrounded and it took several minutes to go off ! I had a kiddi smoke/ Carbon dector alarm in another room and that alerted first with only a small amount of smoke. Straight in the bin very frightening
on 7 February 2015
This replaced another smoke alarm I had (different make, which went wrong after about a year - although it didi have a 15 year guarantee, it was not worth me posting it back) I already have one of these, but with a carbon monoxide sensor as well & I am very pleased with it - had it several years & test regularly, seems to work fine.
Would recommend.
on 4 May 2014
Have had little trouble with this device over the past 4 years. But after changing the battery it beeps every few minutes indicating a fault. OK - I have a 10 year guarantee (one of the reasons I chose this item). NO response from the seller at all........
My conclusion - do not buy this product based upon the headline 10 year guarantee.