Customer reviews

The Songbirds of Pain
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 February 2018
I have bought several of these as I keep giving them away. I have read it many times.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 4 December 2002
This is a collection of short stories mostly written over the ten years up to 1988. There is more variety than you might expect in a collection of one authors stories. I had actually read two of the stories before: one, Let's Go to Golgotha!, a time-travel story, I hadn't realised was by GK. I had read it many years ago in The Sunday Times - it having won the Sunday Times Science Fiction Competition. It was his first published work. The other, God's Cold Lips, (about a man transferred to the body of a tiger) I had read and re-read in the anthology Aries 1 (ed. John Grant) which I rate very highly.
Not all the stories are SF and you might well find the book in the general fiction section rather that the F&SF section. I find that GK has a certain classiness which many SF authors seem to lack. This brings praise like "arguably the finest writer of short stories in Britain today in any genre" (The New Scientist).
Like all collections this will probably contain some you like better than others but the standard is pretty high throughout. One or two of the stories were a bit pessimistic for my liking but there are also some classics.