Format: DVD|Change

on 6 August 2009
To my suprise this was way better than the Butterfly Effect 2. I was actually starting to get scared off watching this one because of the second, but in the end it was quite good. The story starts right in the middle but you get the idea of what is happening. It's good as a stand-alone movie but it probably shouldn't have taken The Butterfly Effect 3 as it's title.
It's more gorier than the first and second put together. The deaths can be quite shocking, especially the opening scene. The "condition" rules in this film arn't the same as the first one, like the second one wasn't the same as the first one either.
But give it a chance. Don't let the rubbish second one scare you off. I don't want to say much about the movie because it might spoil it a lot (in my eyes I think it will) but this is way better than the second one.
I don't expect any "yes, this has helped me" or "no, it doesn't" but just give this one a try, it's quite good and brings the Butterfly Effect series a good name after the dreadful first sequel. You don't actually have to watch the first two to understand this, it's a stand-alone film like I said but just give it a try.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2009
After the second Butterfly Effect film I didn't hold much hope for the 3rd installment. But after several reviews saying that it was quite good I decided to give it a go and ordered it. The film doesn't really explain how to whole jumping thing works so you do have to have watched one of the other films to fully get this one. Thats the reason this film is getting 4 stars not 5, because if does rely on your previous knowledge if they had spent more time on this part of it then it could be a very good stand alone film.
on 15 September 2009
I saw this for sale and immediately was drawn to it.
The first one was so good, but with the disppointing 2nd movie i was unsure.
I must say i was pleasantly surprised, this is way better than the Butterfly Effect 2.
Story is different again this time, with different characters, i really think the lead role was very well played.
You don't have to have seen first movies to understand as things are pretty well explained. I don't want to go into plot and characters too much as i think it would spoil it. But from the first 5 mins i was hooked and had to find out what was going on. It kept me interested in the outcome right till the end and i didn't guess the reason for what was happening till just before it was all revealed.

A lot more gory than the first 2, not enough to become a slasher movie but a few of the scenes are pretty graphic, i would probably say the 1st one is the worst as you are not expecting it. But if you like thriller/horror movies you will love this.
on 19 April 2016
For a second sequel, with low-ish budget and no-name cast, this really wasn't too bad. It probably helps if you've seen the first Butterfly Effect movie and accept the basic premise of time-travel using only the power of the mind. There is no attempt made to explain how any of this works, it just does. And the central character in Revelations is not limited to returning to episodes he experienced as a child (as in the first film), but can apparently will himself anywhere/anytime on demand. This creates all kinds of plot-holes which are better not explored. The plot concerns a serial killer, with echoes of Frequency (2000) and is good enough to generate some real tension and a genuine surprise twist at the end (at least, I didn't see it coming). All in all, it's definitely worth a look.
on 16 April 2015
Now this reshapes The Butterfly Effect franchise and truth be told this is 10 times better than the first sequel. A terrific premise and using it, could have made a short run TV series out of it. Maybe. I certainly did enjoy that movie!
on 21 October 2014
It's got a few holes, it's not as gripping, and it's just nowhere near the quality of the first film.. but it's certainly watchable .. as long as you're patient and you're not looking for something to write home about.
on 29 September 2014
I didn't watch it to the end. I ordered it because I had enjoyed the original film with Ashton Kutcher and also the second movie (which wasn't AS good as the first one, but still watchable) so I thought I better finish off the trilogy. But I couldn't get into it.
on 23 September 2014
Super
on 25 March 2014
this was actually the best dvd of all three. you do need to watch the first two but we loved this one.
on 3 May 2014
fast delivery and brand new still in the wrapper. really good film, but also weird its hard to follow it