• Lungs
  • Customer reviews

on 21 September 2015
This is the first time I have ever listened to any music by Florence and the Machine, and I guess I only bought this album to see what all the hype was about. I chose to buy 'Lungs', rather than one of the other available albums, because most of the reviews I had read seemed to recommend it as the best. Having in a way 'forced' myself to listen to it a couple of times, I must say that I thought it was rather good. I think Florence has a very good voice, and the music blends in with it very well. I suppose I would classify it as being 'rock', but not what I would necessarily have thought of rock music being like. I cannot compare the music on this album with anything I have heard from any other artist or band, as I think they are unique. I can only suggest that, if you are getting a little bored with the type of music you are listening to, try this. Maybe listen to a couple of sample tracks over the internet and see what you think. Personally, I am very pleased I bought the album, because it has widened my general music awareness. Oh, and I think the album is great, and listening to it cheers me up.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 October 2017
I've never really listened to this band over the last few years, but did decide to buy their first Album as I have continually some great tracks on the Radio for months and as she has a voice that I rate with Carol Decker then I had to buy it. Perhaps if I listen to this a few more times there may potentially be 5 stars, but there following ones are selling and appreciated in Outer Space.
One person found this helpful
on 10 June 2012
I received this as a present in 2010 for my birthday. Here is my big mistake: I left it, not liking the look of it. There it sat on my bookcase not moving. I soon forgot about her...

But wait! After hearing my friends talking about her, I decided to give her a second chance. Instantly I was amazed at how beautiful Florence was. Dog Days Are Over is an extremely powerful opener and sets the tone perfectly for the album to follow. From there, we move on to Rabbit Heart, which I listened to on it's own for two hours straight. That's the great thing about her, she has so many harmonies in amongst the tracks, it feels like a fresh experience every time.

I'm not calling you a liar is my favourite track. It is beautiful and calming, while still implying that Florence kick that I now love.

To call this album the best in my collection is a mighty big thing to say. It is rare to find a cd where every song is equally as charming and wonderful. Flawless in every way. Thank you, Miss Welch!
HALL OF FAMEon 24 February 2010
I normally steer clear of most chart music these days after the onslaught of X-Factor and other cheap manufactured music, but when I heard Florence and the Machine on the radio I had to check the album out and I am so glad I did. This offers up a selection of tracks that will raise a smile, get your heart pumping and all performed in Florences's unique vocal style. The album opener `Dog Days are Over' is great and that drum beat is infectious and gets me clapping along with it nearly every time. There are so many good tracks on offer but I love `Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)' and `Howl', the latter one has a great chorus that will have you singing along to. This album has been highly lauded in the music press and industry (and garnered praise and awards at the Brit Awards) and that is normally a death knell for any self respecting band., but this album manages to live up to the hype and makes for around an hours great listening. Who couldn't be captivated by those vocals on album closer and cover `You've Got the Love'? Well worth a try.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 4 October 2013
This is the first album I brought of Florence and the machine, and I can say that I am not disappointed.

Having only heard a song or two on the radio I thought I would just buy It and see how I feel, that feeling was joy!

Every song has such a poetic feel that everyone regardless of gender or background can relate to in some way. They take you away from the everyday life and speak of love, loss and great times.

If you don’t like this album then you are horrible person.

I normally listen to different variations of rock music but this album is just too good to pass up! I have recommended this album to everyone I know.

Buy it and you will have a new favourite
on 29 January 2018
Wonderful album.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 June 2018
I thought I would try this as I haven't really gotten into Florence and the Machine. I didn't quite appreciate it as much as a diehard fan and the songs sounded a bit samey to me. Perhaps I should persevere.
on 23 November 2009
I wasnt sure Id like this album since I pictured Florence as a Choir singer. I kept hearing the songs on the radio though and kept hearing rave reviews from some most unlikey sources for the musical style. She has the finest voice ive heard for sometime and the composition is catchy and upbeat. Its an album that just keeps growing on you every time you hear it. I Loved it the first time I heard it. Now I have an almost addictive compulsion to play this album as often as possible. The original is in the CD player. There is a copy in my car and ive ripped it to my phone. Its still not boring after these weeks! Whats more ,everyone that hears it comments on it in a positive way. Its rare my freinds and I agree totally that an album is AMAZING.
One person found this helpful
on 26 December 2009
This is one hell of a package from the off! The housing that the discs come in looks and feels of an extremely high quality and the notes and photographs within are a nice touch.

Kicking off with 2009's finest debut album, two discs of delicious extra tracks and mixes and then the pure magic of the dvd. Whilst i would put Lungs as one of my top ten albums of all time, i'd place the live concert at the Manchester Apollo this year as one of my top five gigs ever, because it's more than just music. When combined with the visuals and immense stage presence of this remarkable woman it becomes something ethereal and deeply affecting, amusing and magical....

An absolutely essential purchase for fans of Miss Welch.
on 23 May 2017
A work of art, both physically and musically. Florence's debut album exquisitely packaged in a deluxe box set. Though I have other versions of this album, none compare to how lovely this box set is. With exclusive content, audio and visual, this is one of those items to treasure in anyone's music collection.