Customer reviews

In Concert With The Lso
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 24 February 2000
Listening to the original recording made 30 years ago I am always aware that perhaps not all those present were entirely enthusiastic about being part of Jon Lord's challenging project. But this revisitation gives me no such feeling. The subtlety, power and musicianship of both the orchestra and the band shines through both in the Concerto and the other pieces that surround it. For me the appeal of Purple has always been a combination of fine technical musicianship and a depth of creativity that reaches way beyond pure heavy metal. This CD more than amply demonstrates those properties with such a range of musical styles from the powerful Ted The Mechanic and the classic Smoke on the Water through the more recent and no less inspiring Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming and the highly enjoyable and bouncy rendition of Roger Glover's Butterfly Ball classic Love is All. The concerto is a wonderful piece and improves with every listen. It has a fine range and does not neglect any part of the orchestra who seem to be enjoying the experience. The band play with style and to my ear sound better today than ever before. Whether a die-hard fan, a recent convert or just someone keen to enjoy a range of musical experiences, I can fully recommend this purchase - and the video that goes with it.
on 17 December 2000
My wife Anne and I travelled all day to London from Saltburn (it's oop north, lad) to see DP. And my God it was worth it! This double CD captures the evening perfectly, even though some of the tracks have been swapped around and the short set by the LSO at the start of the evening has been deleted. The revamped version of the concerto is great. We were close to the front, had great seats, a clear view and this set is a reminder of a wonderful night. We're the ones you can hear screaming "louder!"
on 14 August 2000
Short and sweet. I was there on both nights and this captures it brilliantly. They are an old band getting on but my God they put other bands to complete shame. If you are a Deep Purple fan but are pissed off with all the same stuff then this is well worth checking out (if you are an open minded type of chap)...
on 2 July 2013
Excellent cd!! Recommended. A really good selection of music. This is an amazing album - a 'must-have' collection of brilliant songs spanning the years of quality music
on 16 July 2013
I thought I was buying the one with the Royal Phil but this one is not the same. It is however just as good but in its own way.
on 22 October 2014
We had the vinyl and sold it so were so glad to get this.My husband just loves it!!!
on 15 August 2015
Great Album, A must have if you are a Deep Purple or Jon Lord fan
on 1 October 2014
Always good.
on 4 May 2012
It is more than a little ironic that the "Concerto" section is in fact the weakest part of this memorable gig. Fans of the band should be aware when considering this album that it is not by any means a typical Deep Purple release. With that in mind, it is nonetheless worthy of investigation.
on 18 August 2014
I lost my old copy this is great