on 13 December 2013
This week I've been reading Leading on Empty by Wayne Cordeiro. I was recommended this book by one of my previous colleagues who had been really encouraged by Cordeiro's honesty and attitude. The book starts by reflecting on his experience of burnout and how he realised that his life was not sustainable and needed to change.

For me the most helpful aspect of the book was his honesty both as he reflected with what he needed to change - that it ran deep within himself; and the depth at which Cordeiro explained practically how he managed this - especially with the Personal Retreat Days - something I will certainly be taking on board as we move into 2014.

The concept of a dashboard which helps to measure vital systems essential for health and success was interesting, he used: Faith life; marriage life; family life; office life; computer life; ministry life; financial life; social life; attitudinal life; author's life; speaker's life and physical life. I found Cordeiro's thoughts on the different questions we ask ourselves in our 20s, our 30s, our 40s, our 50s, our 60s and our 70s helpful to realise that after ten years in ministry who I am, and the questions I ask of myself have changed during this period.

With recommendations such as "This is a must-read for all leaders" by Bill Hybels it certainly isn't one to ignore, and whilst there is nothing that you probably haven't heard before, it will certainly encourage you and challenge you to make your life more sustainable instead of constantly leading on empty.
on 12 September 2011
This book points to the warning signs. Very much a personal log of Wayne's struggle through burnout, has some helpful tips on catching the signs early, avoiding burnout, and getting help. A must read for all in ministry.
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2012
"Learning the difference between a concern and a responsibility may save your ministry, your family, and your sanity." Here is a book filled with common sense ideas about living a life intentionally and effectively without burn-out. Cordeiro uses his own time of burn-out and depression to take the reader step-by-step through ideas and bible principles that bring the right things into focus and allow any believer to live their lives richly and fully in relationship, marriage & in God.

This is full of resources, insight, motivation and inspiration. Brilliant if you don't get stuck on the americanised style and scale of all illustrations used. Raw, honest & practical!
on 10 August 2015
It's very good and helpful but after the halfway point it began to feel a bit of a formula. It is delivered in the tone of the mega church pastor do this and all will be well. Follow my 10 point plan etc as I said It's very good and helpful but I prefer a bit more diversity but I would heartily recommend it still to the weary soul it really helped me see how weary I was. Although I would read a tad wider to come up with a recovery plan.
on 25 May 2013
Guidance for the journey of life ministry and faith. Thought-provoking, life changing and a must for restoring and refreshing ones passion to serve. Only wish I had read it as l started out in ministry!
on 1 January 2015
Wayne writes with honesty, biblical common sense, reality and passion. This is the perfect book for a pastor on the edge to read. Heed the changes now.
on 11 April 2013
I found the book to be an inspiration and very apt for the type of lives we live these days. It made me stop and consider why I live the way I do.
on 14 April 2013
When you start reading it you'll know if you need it the the first page or 2 as you see yourself expressed in the life of Wayne Cordeiro
on 26 July 2016
Great book for anyone going through breakdown or trying to avoid one !!
on 15 December 2014
A very good and reassuring book