Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 3 September 2009
As the songs on this album aren't listed above, the track details are as follows **:-

* The Object Of My Affection
* Desert Blues
* Prairie Lullaby
* Alone
* Radio Boogie

** There's an additional track, Somebody Loves Me, on the bonus track edition.

I absolutely love this album. Singer-songwriter Charlie Dore has tended to record albums of her own songs (and those co-written with long-time writing partner Julian Littman), but some 30 years on from Fear Of Flying and Pilot Of The Airwaves she has come up with this exquisite collection of American hillbilly, swing and popular songs from the Twenties and Thirties (and one original, the super rockabillyish I'm Cleaning Out My House, which is nevertheless in keeping with the other songs and fits in rather well. They don't write 'em like these anymore - or do they?

Some of these songs have of course been recorded dozens of times, some hundreds, but perhaps rarely with such sweetness and charm.

The first song was popularised by Milton Brown, one of the early Western swing bandleaders, and Roll Along Kentucky Moon (here with the wonderful Beth Neilsen Chapman singing harmony) by Jimmie Rodgers - as were another 4 featured here. A further two were Old Groaner favourites (and the bonus track was another Bing-er). Alone is a rare Al Bowlly song, adapted by Charlie, and Radio Boogie recalls the great Doc Watson. The musicianship is superb throughout, masterfully conjuring up an old sound to suit the material. The acoustic backing comprises guitar, violin, Dobro, mandolin and stand-up bass, augmented on some tracks by woodwind, for example on Learn To Croon and Prairie Lullaby, and with added brass on Desert Blues. Alone has just piano and Dobro, and a banjo joins in for the bluegrassy Radio Boogie. Though every track is a treat, I particularly liked the jaunty Everybody Does It In Hawaii, whilst Desert Blues had me digging out my old vinyl copy of Jimmie The Kid (on which that song is itself a treat of sorts).

Hula Valley was the name of Charlie's old pick-up band and was, I seem to recall, the title of a track on her first album.

Yes, a super album that I highly recommend. The running time is just over 39 minutes, 42 with the bonus track.

Hopefully there may be a follow up to this delightful album. Miss The Mississippi And You, anyone? Charlie?
on 13 August 2009
Beautiful, haunting and tender renditions of some terrific '30's songs.
I'd always known of Charlie Dore as a singer of her own songs - I'm still playing the amazing 'Sleep All Day' album - but here she's a great interpreter of other peoples' too.
Wonderful versions of 'The Object of my Affection' - which really swings - and Jimmie Rodgers classics like 'Roll Along Kentucky Moon' on which she duets with Beth Nielson Chapman.
My favourites though, are the affecting 'Love in Bloom', the quirky 'Everybody Does it in Hawaii' and best of all, one of her own, 'I'm Cleaning Out My House', a great rockabilly track that wouldn't seem out of place on an Alison Krauss and Robert Plant Album.
Can there be any higher praise?
on 14 August 2009
This collection of oldies (including a Bing Crosby) number should feel very dated but Charlie's crystal clear voice and the fine, understated instrumentation make this a joy. It's very different from her other albums (love them all!) so you may want to have a listen before you buy. If there's an ounce of romance in you - you'll be hooked!
on 18 July 2010
A lovely easy listening CD - every song a joy to listen to and you find yourself humming the tunes without thinking - a good buy for anyone to chill out to.
on 21 September 2010
WELL HERE I AM SITTING IN MY HOUSE WHEN A FRIEND COMES ROUND WITH AN ALBUM BY CHARLIE DORE,NEVER HEARD OF HER, SHAME, I HERE YOU CALL,WELL WHAT DO YOU ALL EXPECT WHEN I LISTEN MOSTLY TO SOUL MUSIC,JAZZ,CLASSICAL,MOZART BEING MY FAVOURITE,AND ROCK N ROLL?.WELL I MUST ADMIT I WAS SO SURPRISED,I WENT STRAIGHT TO MY P.C AND LOOKED ON AMAZON.CO.UK,AND WHAT DO YOU THINK I FOUND? THAT'S RIGHT, CHARLIE DORE C.DS,SO I SENT AWAY FOR THE ALBUM," SLEEP ALL DAY" THIS WOMAN IS A GREAT TALENT AND SHE IS ENGLISH AND SHE HAS AN INCREDIBLE VOICE,SO NOW I'M A BIG FAN OF CHARLIE DORE,ANOTHER ALBUM WHICH IS FANTASTIC IS CALLED "THE HULA VALLEY SONG BOOK" LETS ALL GET WISE AND BUY THIS LADIES ALBUMS,THEY ARE WONDERFUL TRACKS: ON THE "SLEEP ALL DAY" ALBUM THE SONGS ARE-"DIRT MAKES EXCELLENT TOOTHPASTE , LEARNING TO BREATHE,CARTOON,OPTIMIST,VODKA,LAST NIGHT YOU SAID,DISREMEMBER ME,MAXIMUM BOB,LEFT,GREAT ALBUM,ON THE HULA VALLEY SONG BOOK,OUTSTANDING TRACKS ARE "THE OBJECT OF MY AFFECTION,I'M CLEANING OUT MY HOUSE,ROLL ALONG KENTUCKY MOON,LOVE IN BLOOM,LEARN TO CROON,THIS IS ALSO A VERY GOOD ALBUM.CHARLIE DORE I LOVE YOU:BRIAN SAXOPHONE JONES:
on 29 January 2017