on 16 December 2014
With 8gb RAM and an SSD HDD it is a pretty decent machine
on 14 March 2017
Came as expected with even better features than advertised
on 12 April 2017
Once you have a mac you will never want to go back!
on 2 October 2009
I am rarely motivated to write reviews but I am so impressed with my new Macbook Pro 2.53GHz that I though I would share.

As with the majority of Apple products, everything is well thought out and immaculately presented - from the box it is shipped in, to the actual packaging never mind the stunning design of the machine itself.

From opening the box to being fully set-up I reckon it took a total of 15 minutes. Within half an hour I had installed all my other software, completed any online updates of the pre-installed software and customised the machine to my own settings. I have been a Mac owner for a little while now but the set-up is superbly efficient even if you are coming over from what I now consider to be the archaic PC. Mine was shipped with OS X Snow Leopard, which I would definitely recommend you ensure is pre-loaded, from the Apple Store. The updates to iTunes even allowed me to transfer my music collection wirelessly.

I also recommend a subscription to MobileMe. This not only assists with the speedy set-up but also ensures that your iCal, Notes, Contacts and Mail are all available on every product you own. For me this includes my Mac Mini, iPhone and now the Macbook Pro.

Whilst this is a touch expensive compared to the PC 'equivalent' it wholeheartedly recommend it. To describe the entire experience in one word - seamless!
on 6 January 2010
Like most people here, I made the big leap from PC to Mac. To everyone reading these reviews who are contemplating it...Just do it! They're actually not a lot different from a PC in most ways, just a LOT better and surprisingly easy to use.

~ MacBook:
Apple want you to enjoy your product right from the start. So before tearing all the packaging off, take a moment to just look at how they've done it. Once your mac is out in the open, admire it for a second. It's a lot more aesthetically pleasing then your average laptop, with smooth casing, everything very minimal and compact. The all-in-one aluminium casing tops the whole thing off to a tee. The keyboard is revolutionary in its design, again being very easy on the eye with its adequate spacing between the keys, making it a lot easier to type. Another plus on the keyboard is the backlight, very useful when using in lowlight conditions. The screen again is the sharpest yet which makes a huge difference whether it be DVDs or general use. Makes everything on the screen look 10x better then a PC screen. On the screen is a built in camera (iSight) meaning no splashing out on a webcam. Can be used for general camera, webcam and is the sensor for the backlight keyboard and screen brightness. Those clever people at Apple have come up with an amazing glass trackpad. So smooth when gliding over it with your fingers, and so big as well. Also can be used for magnification, twisting, bring up applications and scrolling up/down and left/right web pages. The bods at Apple are all about the minimalistic approach to their products, so no CD Drive popping out (juts a slit to put it in) a headphone AND microphone plug in one, no visible cooling vents or speakers. Unfortunately, with this frame of mind they've cut down on the input ports. For instance, no HDMI port. Therefore if you require it, you have to buy an adapter. Everything on this has been thought about carefully, not just shodily thrown together. Example like the charger lead is magnetic into the MacBook, hence if trip over it, it just pops out. No harm done. So simple yet so effective.

~ Operating System/Software:
All new Macs come with the new OS: Snow Leopard. With this being my first Mac, I'm unable to compare it with the older versions. But I have to say it is pretty amazing compared to Windows. To start with everything just looks a lot better, smoother and more polished. A lot faster to, 10 secs maybe to start up, while about 2 secs to shut down. Click on an icon and it will come up immediately as well as l lot of things are easier to find and more compact overall. It is also deathly quiet at all times. Only time it starts whirring is when a DVD is being read, once being played it will shut up again. Also comes built in with iTunes and Safari (which are pretty self explanatory) It's these little things make the whole Mac experience more enjoyable. Blue Tooth is also amazingly built it, so no cables or leads between phone to laptop.

The MacBook comes with built in iLife. An interesting little package of GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, iWeb and iPhoto. In the months that I've had my MacBook, I've only ever used iPhoto (which is actually a good and useful piece of software) and GarageBand (which I've only ever used just playing around when I've got a minute here or there). Unfortunately I have no intention of using the others which is a shame. iWorks is available for the peeps that want Word, Excell and Powerpoint. I personally don't really see the need as the MacBook comes with Text Editor (a basic Word). So unless it's really needed, then don't bother. A worry that I had was about opening and transferring files from Windows to Mac (ie Word doc. to a Mac). But they've even thought of that, with the MacBook capable of opening Word doc./docx. files in Text Edit.

Now, those big wigs over in the US of A have cleverly come up with a way to install Windows on a Mac! This is where Boot Camp comes into play. A clever little bit of software that lets you install your own version of Windows alongside OS Snow Leopard. Choose how much diskspace you wish for it to take up, then when starting up decide which OS to go with and bobs your uncle. This has the benefits of if you decide to install Microsoft Office having Word, downloading and opening programmes (ie MSN and the like) and various other tasks that are just a pain in arse to try and do in SL.

I honestly can't praise this machine enough, it looks beautiful, acts super-fast with an intelligent OS System, and most importantly is a joy to work with.

Once you've gone Mac, you'll never go back!
on 25 October 2009
You'll love the machine; it is powerful, slim, oozes quality, light, great to work with and Mac OS X is a good operating system. It is good value for money for the spec (pardon - is this Apple?), until you see the extortionate extended warranty cost. Take care of it - get a neoprene sleeve to keep it in.

Here is the detail in comparison to any windows machine in this price territory (I looked hard). The good:
- Slim, weighs 2 kg, around 0.5kg less than most
- Fast processor and 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM. Its 2.53GHz pricier sibling is a touch faster but I would only go for that for photo/video work with its extra RAM and disk.
- Excellent design and finish - it should get an award
- Reliable, secure, small footprint OS
- Excellent battery life, LED backlit display
- Low noise - essentially silent in operation until the noisy DVD drive spins up.

The not so good:
- Battery is not user replaceable.
- The aluminium casing is "form over function". It can be scratched and, being metal, it can be dented too; I have seen this at work. The white polycarbonate MacBook is your "student" option. Don't let that "hewn from a block of solid metal" appearance fool you.
- Mini-DVI monitor output will ALWAYS require an adaptor at extra cost. Why not HDMI out? Only 2 USB, no eSATA, but does have fast Firewire.

The terrible (one star off ...I can't divorce this from the machine; applies to its 2.53GHz sibling too):
- Extortionate, £195, AppleCare warranty extension; twice the price of most notebooks. AppleCare costs just £50 for educational use. Which is it? Will it fail badly (screen or motherboard) or are Apple overcharging?
66 Comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2009
I converted from my Dell laptop and I agree with previous reviews the whole affair was seamless. I rarely turn the laptop off, just closing the lid is good enough. It is a fantastic piece of design and the build quality is second to none. It is true you can get a PC clone with more memory, greater chip speed and for less money, but once you have started using a mac nothing else will do.

If you have money buy one - especially the 4GB Ram 250GB HD model. For ultra portability go for the 13" model. If you do not have the money then save up and buy one.
on 3 November 2009
First mac I've ever owned and I am very impressed. Elegance from the moment you open the (highly compact) box. Everything has been exquisitely designed from the ground up. Love the styling and little features that other designers would consider superfluous luxuries - side battery display, magnetic power cord, unibody casing, slot loading dvd drive etc. In fact they are so intuitive, useful and classy that I wouldn't consider a laptop without them in the future. You'll know you've bought the best. Snow Leopard is also a joy to use. iPhoto and other bundled software is a rare combination of power and accessibility. Only wish that Apple had included a Blu-Ray drive and HDMI out.
on 9 March 2016
Wish never order this, I got damaged front and scratch bottom of laptop, they didn't even mention about it, full dirty on keyboard dirt on screen, not happy. They offer me £25 to my removed my comment feedback. I say I will do for £50. But once I removed it then they give me £35. Tut never order this again
review image review image
on 16 March 2010
I'd resisted the Mac hype for some time, always believing that you paid more bucks for not much more bangs ... and then I bought one of these. I was lucky - got a cheap re-furbished one, although I couldn't for the life of me tell that it was pre-owned.

I have one down-side (thus the 4 stars): the track pad, if used extensively, strains my arm - you have to hold your fingers up from the surface, which is quite a large space, and that was straining the bak of my wrist. The bluetooth mouse has solved that.

Beyond which i like most things about it - but particularly:

1. It runs practically silent; I din't realise what a pain the fan noise from my previous laptops was until this. It makes the working environment (in my near-silent office) a delight.

2. The back-lit keyboard: I work in dark places quite a lot - theatres and venues with the lights out. Now i can see what I'm doing!

3. The quality of the on-board sound card - outstanding; after years of add-ons for my PC's I can now sell most of that gear.

4. Things really do, as they keep saying, 'just work'. My printers - plug them in, use them. My network - oh look, there it all is.

5. Battery - on the grounds that you can't take for 'real world' what any of the computer manufacturers say about their batteries, I'd say this one isn't too bad at all. It's done me five hours on a train, with audio running and some wifi, no problem.

Having checked around for the available options in the PC market, this is the only thing that actually ticked all my requirements anyway: now I've got it, I can't believe I hadn't bought one before.