on 29 March 2010
I bought this webcam a few months ago almost as soon as it was released just to find out that Skype didn't yet support. I patiently waited the new release of Skype as I was sure such a great camera must have been included soon. My patience was well placed for this webcam which now gives stunning videos through Skype. My contacts on the other side sometimes cannot believe their eyes as they are not used to such quality. They can see the smallest details! I've noticed my contacts call me more often now as they enjoy a much realistic experience than before. In addition to that, the microphone is also very sensitive and it picks sound with great quality and also details. This is the webcam to buy! It is a premium but it is guaranteed to deliver the best results you are looking for. You will never find this quality on a laptop webcam..
44 Comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2010
I've had this cam for a few weeks now and after alot of skype msn, and hd recording, well i can find no fault. Quality is excellent and consistent it's simple to use but really the video quality on skype (and similar) is superb, well worth the money. If you've got this far go the whole hog, top marks.
11 Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was looking to upgrade my web cam from my aging Microsoft 3000 and boy was I glad I found this little beauty.. What a web cam this is.
The first thing you notice is the quality, it's very well made and the lens being Carl Zeiss you can't go wrong.It may look an odd shape but who cares when you fire this baby up and see the stunning picture it gives, not only in recording but in web camming too. I use Windows 7 and setting up was a breeze and the software just as easy to use and what fun you can have with the Avatars and other tricks it can do.. setting this up is easy too,kids and adults alike have a great laugh in having a video mail and being spoken to by a Dinosaur..lol.
One thing you must be aware of is, it takes a fairly powerful computer to run it though for the best results,lesser mortals will suffer with jerkiness and stutter.. so check the required specs first... you have been warned.!!!. Anyone who does not get stunning results from this web cam (computer being good enough) are setting it up wrong and have no idea or should not own one in the first place. Once the software is installed the web cam just needs to be plugged in and away you go. There are several ways of recording in different sizes..640x480..to..960x720 in HD and altering the size again to 2MP and 1600x1200. There's even a wide screen mode with several settings too. I will point out at this stage.. there are updates, but I would leave them off as I found the adjustments less and for some strange reason the quality went down..Odd one that.....Anyway..You get 6ft of cable which is handy if you want to show someone around the room, then there are all the settings to can play with.. Face tracking.. even for two people... zoom.. Auto focus... wide screen...Mic adjustment..etc etc..in fact you can just about alter whatever you need to suit your enviroment.It has whats called 'RightLight' technology and this works like a dream..you can switch it off if you prefer, but why when it does a splendid job of getting the correct lighting.. I have a light just above my keyboard and with the old web cam I was in total darkness so I had to switch the main lights on in the room just to see me... not with this one.. it's has the ability to show skin tones and highlight the room with very little lighting at all and the detail is amazing.. If there's a downside.. you have to look your best as it WILL show those wrinkles or that spot you might have..lol.
I have read other reviews on this web cam and the ones which are negative are not justified in my opinion.. most of the negs seems to resolve around not knowing or having the know how to use it... yet it's not a difficult web cam to set up as I mentioned before..Shop around for a good deal and you won't be dissapointed with this web cam ... for me it's the bees knees and gives a stunning performance..Get one while you can.
11 Comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2010
This was bought for my wifes Birthday, as her son works out in switzerland and in May goes to Ausie with his girlfriend.
She speaks to him at least twice a week and you almost forget its there as it works so well.
Please spend five minutes once you've loaded the software to set it up {a five year old could do it} and you'll have no problems at all.
Super Product with the usuall Amazon A1 service.

Thanks Brian & Veric.
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2010
We are rolling out videoconferencing services to the desktop at work and have tried many, many webcams (including £250 Tandberg devices). The Logitech Pro 9000 is the best by far.
The webcam has a good wide angle. Ironically, one of the most important things for a webcam is the integrated microphone - with this one, you can be a long way away and it'll still pick you up easily and clearly.
It is so good, I bought this one for my home PC, to talk to my daughter at uni, using Skype and Live Messenger - it works perfectly. The wide angle means the whole family can be in shot. The mic means we all just chat without having to worry about speaking 'into' the mic. I could ask no more.
You might think there are cheaper webcams out there. I did, and I bought one half the price from Microsoft. The mic was so rubbish I needed a separate one - and I got feedback which made it sound like a train was going by. Don't do it - just get the 9000 - it does everything you want. When we first bought the 9000 for work, it was £90 - £40 is a really good price for a great piece of kit.
My only concern is that the 9000 is quite an old model - it feels to me as if it might go end of life any day now. It'll be a real pain to start the research again, to try to find another one as good. We are buying 100 for work, to protect ourselves with some stock. If you are going to buy it, I wouldn't wait too long.
on 3 September 2010
Do have a couple of minor quibbles, which is why it fell short of the full 5 stars.

First up, the software included has a number of customizations on it (avatars, filters etc) which can be temperamental. At first it couldn't find my face at all and seemed to be fixed on my shoulder, but seems to be ok now.

The second is again to do with software, it really doesn't tell you what you're installing. I imagine a lot of people will just assume they need to install the Logitech Vid software which comes with the device, but of course you don't. Most IM clients will provide video calls and be compatible with any webcam these days. Having said that, most CD's included with hardware are guilty of this to some degree.

Other than that though, it's awesome! I'm lucky enough to have a decent upload speed of about 256KBps, so there's no trouble in sending the data. Can't say what it'll perform like on a regular connection, though, from other reviews there don't seem to be any major issues.

It nicely fits on top of a computer monitor without moving, picture quality is just about perfect (and that's in damn crappy lighting) and it's very easy to use. The included software can auto zoom into your face too (can turn this on/off), and it seems to do that very well.

All in all, very happy bunny here!
on 13 February 2010
The clarity of the on-screen picture is stunning and not just on my own computer but on family and friends computers too. An amazingly good product.
on 13 October 2010
I brought this webcam a month ago and I have been very impressed and surprised by its quality. I was looking for a camera that was supported by Skype and also worked on both the Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) operating systems. This does the trick. It works beautifully on Linux (the Logitech web site redirects you another site for linux support and installation). It has a fantastic image quality with very clear and a dynamic range of sound. The quality was far more than I expected for its price. A great buy
on 11 September 2010
I have done lots of research before settling for this supposed to be top of the market web cam. It is really a great web cam where it is really easy to install, just plug in and you can start using it, even if you don't use the logitech software. The HD picture is one of the best I have seen, and even some of my friends said the they love the new look of me which is so sharp and clear. The microphone is quite good compared to any standard web cam, acoording to what my some of my friends have heard. However the main reason I bought this web cam is because I wanted to move it around anywhere in the room because it has a long extension wire, unlike the integrated web cam where I can't move around so much, though you can mount this one just on your laptop easily. Here comes the annoying part, if you move too much, or the light is too dim, the "auto-focus" seem to loose focus (!?), it become blurry. You have to keep moving in closer, to get the focus back, or brighten your whole room. So my friend keep seeing a sudden giant imagery of me, like my nose, or the blurry me, like in a fairy land. Alright, I love this web cam for the quality of the time we are spending, but I hate it when we loose focus of what we are doing.
on 1 March 2011
I bought two of these, one for a desktop using Vista, the other for use on a lapton running XP.

Firstly the good bits, the software and everything loaded and worked very well on the Laptop using XP, the clarity of sound and vision is excellent.

Now the bad news, while loading the software on the desktop with Vista, the PC kept disconnecting the camera, and closing down saying there was a fatal error. To cut a long story short - 10hours later and after contacting technical support managed to get the camera to be stable on(plug and play) and connecting through Skype, this also had a side effect of windows not recognising the built in microphone, so I had to buy a seperate one and plug in.

I tried and swapped them around thinking it was a fault but they are both the same.

There appears to be 100's of people who have the same issues, something in the logitech software is clashing with windows.

Logitech have asked for the full diagnostics which I will supply them at the weekend, so it does look like they are prepared to look into the issues.

I wonder if this is why so many people who buy this product (with built in mic) also buy the microphone?

It also says does not fit laptops, but mine fits on top of the screen fine, perhaps my old thick screen helps but the bracket is great.