Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop now

on 19 July 2009
In 1998 when I moved into my new UK apartment I set out to create Japanese/ Chinese influenced interiors using mainly 3 colors, black, red and cream.

The centrepiece of my japanese themed kitchen is this stunning retro 50s styled refrigerator in shining rosso red (unlike the photo on this amazon page which is oddly in black? - note to Amazon to change to RED model photo!) A Lost Friend sent me a moving-in card which to this day stands on top of the behemoth which has become known predictably as 'Red Dwarf'
(It's big, it's red and it's got SMEG on the front... so..what else would you call it?)

The card simply says SMEG HEAD and inside is a fridge haiku part of which reads 'hot on the outside.. cold on the inside' - whether this is a comment on the fridge or its owner I leave to your imagination.

This is one of my top 10 favorite possessions. I've now owned it 11 years and it's still going strong - self defrosting, only getting powered down when I am out of the UK. As a single, despite being a prodigious cook, and an avid fan of japanese and asian beers, I have never yet seen it full up, even when I have had guests. It's an extravagance, 'A Fridge too Far' - size beyond need, but I was unable to resist it, and it is the focal point of the kitchen. It also makes me smile every time I see it - priceless!

It has a tangible enough presence to have the gleaming appeal of a car or a motorbike - I prefer the 'one door' sports version to the family saloon 'two door' with the separate freezer section, albeit that is more practical if you seek a freezer of any stature. The one in this version is a mere ice-box size - good for a few Ciabatta and tubs of Ben & Jerry's but not much more.

The single door model is a classic, and like most icons its looks obscure its usefulness. It boasts a huge stylish interior, moveable glass shelves, and it's elegant, dramatic, iconic and exudes style and luxury. An essential piece of chilled living, and at near 1000 pounds.. Red Dwarf is worth every penny !

'Cold curried cornflakes, anybody?' ...
review image