Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 January 2013
Delivered today, I am now on my second play. A chance purchase on the strength of a TV ad sample, and the fact that they have at least been around for a while. I do not know how to describe this lot? You can't really find a 'bag' to put them in. I have 'visions' of the vocals being copied from the Bee Gees impersonating the Commodores, and then being menaced by a nice bit of 'rock' guitar! They are not 'Indie' or 'Alternative', neither are they 'Pop'. You can't really say that they can't fit anywhere, because they are 'original', cos they ain't. Having said all that, they do shove a load of familiar things into their songs, and come out with an album that is quite listenable to an Indie-type, like me. The type of album where I have given seven of the 10 tracks a rating of 7/8 out of ten. Best to give them a listen before you buy.
on 18 June 2016
nice album , a little bit samey on some tracks, Vocals like Sam Smith or (if you are old like me) Jimmy Sommerville.
on 13 March 2017
Great CD fast delivery
on 24 January 2013
This is quite an anthemic album, and every song has a stand-out quality in it's own way. I don't think there is anything average about 'Conditions'

My favourite songs are: Rest, Soldier On and Science of fear. Dougy Mandagi (vocals) is just sublime.

They remind me, very tenuously, of Coldplay but with much more spark!

This is one of my all time favourite albums and I'm so pleased I bought it. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a breath of fresh air from the manufactured tripe we hear so much of these days.
on 7 March 2010
Received my LP of Conditions...running time is about 21 minutes per side so goes okay on vinyl given track 5 isn't a heavy song.

There's no loss of sibilance towards the end of the record.

This is a nice clean pressing and compared to the CD the dynamics are not challenged as much, which leads me to believe the vinyl was probably pressed from a 24-bit master or they just didn't use dynamic range compression as freely as they did on the CD which is a big relief. The CD is highly compressed and suffers from brickwalling throughout, even though it's still decent compared to some CD's out there.

This is the copy you want if you have both a record player and a CD player. Listening to Sweet Disposition, Love Lost, Fader, Fools, any of the outstanding tracks on here is much more pleasant on the vinyl copy...sounds more like a live performance.

I only heard of The Temper Trap back in January on the radio and I rarely ever listen to the radio, so I'm relieved they came on in one of these rare radio-listening moments. Sweet Disposition was the track. When I got home I went to the station's website where you can see the playlist and tracked down the name of the artists, then got the CD. After one or two listens through I knew I loved the sound and at least half the songs, so I ordered the vinyl.

Temper Trap have lots of influences it seems. I think if you like a lot of these artists you will enjoy this album - Catherine Wheel, Chapterhouse, James, Ride, The Verve, early u2, Coldplay, - you get the picture. Walls of guitar, great melodies in the lyrics, really nice instrumentation - the flow of the album is great too and while I'm not all that keen on the outro track I think every other song is worth listening too.
I came to the music of The Temper Trap, as I'm sure many others have, off the back of `Sweet Disposition' and it has quickly become one of my favourite albums of the year. In fact it is never out of my stereo at the moment. From the opening track `Love Lost' you know you are in for a real treat and this album doesn't let you down at all. This band have their own unique sound and the singer has very distinctive and original vocals, but if you enjoy bands like Death Cab For Cutie then I recommend this album and think it will be right up your street. `Sweet Disposition' is a very strong track and the way it builds with the underlying jangly guitar really adds to it's impact and power. But more subtle tracks like `Soldier On' have real nuance and show the breadth of this bands talents. I also love the chorus of `Science of Fear` which keeps driving the song forward and makes you want to sing along with it full belt. The last track `Drum Song' is instrumental and whilst raw, is a great way to end this album. I could quite easily wax lyrical about this album but suffice it to say that it is original, has excellent song writing and would well benefit you to take a listen. It is one of those life enhancing albums and I can't recommend it enough.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 10 August 2009
A uniquely tuned voice, lead singer Dougy Mandagi could be one of the most exciting prospects to emerge from Australia in years. Supported by a great outfit that gives The Temper Trap an atmospheric, polished sound, they are without doubt my favourite band to emerge in 2009. They were amazing at Glastonbury, then again at Love Box, and now the album's out and it's bloody terrific. Sweet Disposition sounds like it's been sung by sentient beings in orbit above the earth, it feels so expansive and universal. Love Lost makes hairs stand up on your arms and stop what you're doing to listen. Fader storms down the highway like a drag racer powered by pure willpower, with some wonderful backing vocals.
Sometimes the lyrics seem slightly bonkers, and more than a little obtuse, but with a sound this great - I don't mind a bit!
66 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Yet another CD I have bought on the strength of hearing the music on the soundtrack to a film, this album presents the music/vocals with great clarity. 'The Temper Trap' are an Australian band and considering that this is their debut issue it shows they are already quite accomplished artists with great promise.

Having heard the song 'Sweet Disposition' in the film '300 Days of Summer' (a poor film, notable only for exposing me to some decent music !) I was encouraged to investigate - the highlight of that song for me being the distinctive and really quite striking Falsetto singing voice of the lead vocalist. Not all of the songs on this album feature that precise style of singing, so things don't get 'mundane' and anyway there is enough variation in the melodies on offer to help prevent that happening. The instrumental work is skilful and often quite prominent - this album does not rely on the lead singer alone....

Whilst aside from 'Sweet Disposition' I couldn't really say any the titles themselves of any of the other songs remain in my memory but the music does; things open strongly with 'Love Lost' before the pace quickens into 'Rest' before that false climax of 'Sweet Disposition'. I would say quite a lot of thought has gone into the playing-order of the songs, as there is a definite quickening of tempo as things progress along with the vocals becoming more integrated with the instrumentals, rather then being at the forefront as in the first few tracks (which are the ones I prefer).

If you have heard something of the 'The Temper Trap' then this CD is well worth getting. If you enjoy good quality vocals with rhythmical melodies and haven't heard this group before then I suggest you audition the samples on offer by Amazon; if you like what you hear then, again, buy the CD - it promises some very enjoyable easy-listening with several standout songs.
on 14 September 2009
I'll keep it short...one of the best albums I've heard in 2009!
A beautiful and sometimes haunting sound that you just won't be able to get enough of. From Fader through to Soldier On and the wonderful Sweet Disposition, this album is pure quality
on 8 January 2011
I came to this band as a result of the Center Parcs Tv advert ... I spent a while on YouTube trying to find out what the music was and it turned out to be Sweet Disposition ....possibly the catchiest track I have heard in a couple of years. So I listened to the album and in a way it reminds me of Melody AM by Royksopp ... not in sound but in the way that it is refreshingly different. Having heard it a few times I have to say I do like it .... will Temper Trap fade from my buying habits like Royksopp have? Only time will tell but this is a pretty good album from a band that seems prepared to do its own thing.