Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change
Price:£14.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 8 July 2017
I am a long-time fan of horror movies, from many years ago beginning seriously with The Exorcist in the early 70's, I had been weaned from even longer ago with all the various incarnations of the highly un-frightening Hammer films in the late 60's.

After hundreds of American teen slashers a la Friday the 13th, A Nightmare On Elm Street, countless backwood cannibals, zombie apocalypses, I discovered two films, both French, that went to a new level of horror. One is Martyrs, that operates on a few different levels which lift it above simple horror, though many definitely only "see" that face value violence. That's a shame for them, because it has depth and breadth more than all that. The other was "Frontiers", which has no such metaphysical levels, but it has violence and bad taste that all in all make it the "nastiest" film I've seen, I wrote a review to say so.

Now I have watched "Inside" which also has legendary notoriety, it's a shame knowing the main storyline and knowing how it ends, but to my delight there were parts of the plot I did not know of, and as a result I think I can crown the film with a different accolade. Not as broadly offensive and shocking as Frontiers, nor is it up to Martyrs' deeper messages, but I think I can say that "Inside" takes the award for the bloodiest film I've witnessed. Once the bloodflow begins, which is not too far in, it comes in buckets, some very gruesome scenes indeed.

Despite the spoiler bits I knew about, I loved it, it exceeded expectations due to the extra blood and brutality that I didn't have warning of. And the expectations were high already.

Very horrific horror, but don't embark on the journey unless you have a cast-iron stomach. If you can handle it, it's a treat.
on 21 December 2016
Dark, depraved, disturbing, gory and vile. I loved every minute of Inside!! This is a superbly crafted piece of horror from France, a country that seemed to have a mini horror revolution during the second half of the last decade. I have to say that this film is not going to be to every ones taste as the basic story idea is disturbing enough but when you think of the visual possibilities a story like this could present, you don't imagine for one second that many of the things you can imagine seeing will be shown but my word they are and then some!!! I don't want to spoil the film for anyone who hasn't seen it and wants to so I wont go into any detail about the plot, you'll just have to watch it! I'll just say that the French seem to have a real knack for horror and Inside proves that theory beyond any doubt. If you enjoyed Switchblade Romance AKA High Tension then you are going to love Inside. I can safely say I was blown away by Inside, the gore, the tension and the ending left me feeling drained and distressed and with a film like this that can only be a good thing.
on 7 August 2017
One of the most disturbing a gory films i've seen in a long time i don't even know if i liked it or not it was just really messed up, if you don't like gore and don't like acts of cruelty then keep well away.
on 4 April 2016
Would recommend.
on 4 August 2010
This is undoubtedly the most gruesome film I've ever seen, worse than saw, hostel etc etc but it makes it a must-see film. The gore is fantastic, the psycho lady is terrifyingly brutal, and the fact that it's subtitled will not distract you from the screen. In terms of effectiveness and impact it is a definate 5/5. An unrelenting horror film, that will not give up sickening and disturbing you until the very end. Very memorable.
on 21 June 2011
Inside has surely got to be one of the finest horror movies of our time.A film that has it all;tension,drama,emotion and two outstanding performances by Beatrice Dalle and Alysson Paradis.I love the score for the film aswell.The gentle,melancholy piano(which we hear when Sarah is looking at pictures of her dead husband)is haunting and effectively understated.It perfectly underpins the characters' sadness.I also really like the strange,swirling soundscapes in the beginning of the film,these give a feeling of unease and help add to the building tension and claustrophobic atmosphere.
It takes an incredible amount of talent to effectively weave emotion and sympathy into a film as harsh and violent as Inside.It is a credit to not only the directors but the performances aswell.Indeed,only the French seem to be able to strike this balance between touching melodrama and genuinely horrific imagery.This is never more evident than in the closing scene of the movie(a scene which,if executed differently,could have amounted to nothing more than a graphic shock-sequence).Thanks to the starkly realistic performance of Alysson Paradis,this becomes a truly disturbing and upsetting scene(and elevates the sequence above and beyond a mere shock-tactic,like the baby scene in "A Serbian Film" for example).All the background music/sound effects stop and we are left with only her desperate,harrowing screams of agony.It is a lengthy,graphic and near-unbearable scene which sends a shiver up your spine and has often moved me to tears(the only other gruelling scene I can compare it to,is the first child killing in the Spanish film,"In A Glass Cage").
Obviously,the graphic and confrontational nature of the movie will deter many potential viewers,which is a shame because this is such an accomplished piece of work and much more than just another gruesome horror film,to me it is equal parts drama and thriller aswell.A masterpiece of modern cinema that handles it's daring subject matter with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer!It is a tense,gripping and frightening experience and a very close contender for my favourite "extreme" film of all time.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2015
Now, buying a movie without check what year it was made in, that's pretty reckless in my opinion. But to buy one without check what language it was made in? That displays a level of idiocy which i just can't relate to.
For instance, there is an Israeli film called Big Bad Wolves for which one chap, so incensed by his own inability to buy a dvd without cocking the whole thing up, posted a review on amazon moaning that there should be a warning on the cover of all foreign language movies which states: This film is subtitled!!!
Ah, priceless.
But i digress.
'Inside' wasn't quite as unremittingly grim as i was prepared for. It's more of a "blood spraying up the wall" type thing as opposed to a "guts splatting on the floor" affair. But, at 78 mins, i suspect the UK release is, like the cast, heavily cut. This, i also suspect, is the reason the overall pacing is a bit uneven.
A dark and occasionally enjoyable slasher, not without it's flaws, but well shot and with beaucoup vin rouge. Though if you haven't seen it, is no great loss. Au revoir.
on 29 July 2010
Inside is a great French horror with a twist.
A heavily pregnant woman looses her husband in a car crash, but the baby survives.
It's Christmas Eve, she is due to give birth any day and then a strange woman knocks on her door asking to come in and saying she knows what this woman has just gone through. She calls the police and from there it is the woman's fight to save her life and the life of her unborn child.
If you like gore, there is plenty and it's relentless.
A very different story, but once again the French have produced a good horror story with a twist at the end.
I thoroughly enjoyed inside, and horror fans will to !
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2017
Inside is about a woman who lets say has not had an easy life- partner died in a car crash and she's pregnant. So she is expecting any day and an intruder has broken into her house wanting her baby, like now.

I'm going to be honest, I enjoyed Inside, but for me it was trying to hard to be over the top gore and violence, I like both, but it got silly at one point. The woman intruder, who one suspects, had no formal training as a commando seamingly takes out guests and cops with brutal authority in her quest to get the pregnant woman on her own and take her baby, and she'll stop at nothing to do it, i'm afraid to say this quickly turned into a yawn.

Having said that the performances were good and the effects were really strikingly real. Inside is a good movie, but just feels a little forced in my opinion.
on 29 May 2008
Well, I guess I can start off this review by saying that this is solid proof that Euro-Horror and it's director's are so far ahead of us Americans when it comes to the horror genre. While our studios are continuing to crank out remakes, and basically recycling stuff that have sat in the can for years - it are the European filmmakers who are out there whipping up new and imaginative ideas like they usually do.

From French Directing duo, Alexandre Bustillo, Julien Maury, comes INSIDE, a film that exploits a subject that surely has to be any mother's nightmare - having their child taken away from them. Now, I suppose that this would be hard for any mother, regardless the age of the child - but it has to be that much harder when the child is still in womb. In the film, we watch the main character go through the trauma of losing her husband to a crash. After the aftermath of the situation, she still keeps her sanity, just knowing that a piece of him remains, in the form of their unborn. What the Directors do here, is, well....wreck that sanity she has left, and they do it brutally. There is a mysterious woman hell bent on claiming Sarah's baby as her own. Whether she's have to kill Sarah, or just blatantly extract it from her womb, she is bound to finally become a mother herself.

INSIDE is definitely a thrill ride from the beginning to end....it's one of those "you'll never see what's coming next" kind of films. I must say that the realistic gore in the film is just fantastic and brutal, it adds more tension to any already intense situation - but the fact of the matter is that through the course of this film we watch an innocent woman(Sarah) go through absolute hell, while fighting to keep her and her beloved child alive,

The production value and direction here are great, and really capture all of the tense moments. For the most part, the film has but only one location, which is Sarah's house. I have always said that the one location thing could be a disaster (Bug (Special Edition) anyone?), but if they're handled correctly. a primary set could be the best thing to happen to a film. In the case of INSIDE, having one location works out very well as in conveys the feeling of being trapped from the point of view of our victim. And like many films of the same type. you do expect everything to dull down after awhile, but truth is, once this film gets to the subject of it's plot, there are very few dull moments, as the special effects alone are enough to have you glued to your seat. And another thing about the film is it's visual effects - I loved the CGI shots of the baby in the womb.

In the end, there's a reason that INSIDE was released under the DIMENSION EXTREME label; it is extreme, violent, brutal and just about every other adjective that you can think to call it - the scary thing is that the film's subject is one that could happen anywhere in the world or any day of the week.
22 Comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse