on 8 September 2015
One of the best Ken Loach's films. A perfect mix of comedy and drama, passion for football and social commitment, fantasy and realism.
Looking for Eric sound genuine because it tells a story where football represents a distraction from the bleak and miserable reality and helps people carry on, but also because Erica Cantona is not just a football star, but embodies the popular side of this sport, who was born from people and for the people, and cannot just live in a golden cage.
Here more than ever Loach shows his ability for storytelling, being compelling and entertaining at the same time, because his rebellion to the System can't be imagined without a reasonable share of irony.
Looking for Eric is, therefore, a story that everyone can identify with or, saying it with the main character's words, to put oneself in his blue suede shoes...
One person found this helpful
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 15 February 2013
Ken Loach has always been my favourite director of British films, you can honestly say that his movies are like no other. They are always so gritty, so realistic and brilliantly portray normal everyday people and the problems in which they experience - 'Looking For Eric' is no exception.

The film is about marijuana smoking postman Eric Bishop (Steve Evets) whose hero is the international footballer Eric Cantona. Tied down by many personal and family problems (looking after his granddaughter is bringing him back into contact with his ex girlfriend who he parted with on bad terms and his stepson is hiding a gun for a drugs baron), Bishop forms an imaginary relationship with Cantona who gives him advice on how the handle all of the drama taking place around him.

But it isn't all doom and gloom, this film is funny from the beginning and like most Loach's films, there is a strong sense of humanity, friendship, loyalty and hope throughout.

'Looking For Eric' is yet another great film from a great filmmaker.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 November 2010
Eric is a Mancunian postman with two stroppy stepsons from a failed marriage. He has never got over Lily, his first love from thirty years previously. Sunk into depression, Eric is energised when his hero Eric Cantona appears to give him some much needed (and sometimes impenetrable) advice on his love life and how to deal with his stepsons' equally messy, not to say dangerous lives.

The wonderful thing about this hilarious and heart warming film is that it's about real people, in a real world. No one looks perfect, there's no ridiculous "psychobabble" about Eric's depression. BTW I'm not into football, didn't even know which team Cantona played for, and sometimes couldn't even work out what language he was speaking. But he's brilliant all the same. I have to give a special nod to Matthew McNulty as the younger Eric too, last seen as Fisher Bloom in Lark Rise to Candleford.

This is now on my list of "films to snap anyone out of depression" along with Muriel's Wedding [DVD] [1995] and Harold & Maude [1971] [DVD]
2 people found this helpful
on 12 September 2011
Such a welcome break from the standard Hollywood stuff - which I admit to enjoying shamelessly the majority of the time!

The Blu-ray quality is good and I liked the story, though there were times I'll admit I felt that it was drooping. But it always came back right on track.

I chose a good night to watch this - I just finished watching a Barcelona match in La Liga followed by a ManU match against Bolton (10/9/2011) (Premier League) and when Rooney completed his hat-trick (second one in successive matches) the commentator remarked that there was something "Cantona-esque" about him and it reminded me that I had this Blu-ray lying around unwatched. It was a night to celebrate football.

I am not a ManU fan (or of any other club/country in the world) so I didn't know much about Cantona. BUT if you are a football fan like me and watch Cantona's footie-footage in the beginning of the film it is quite an experience. With the surround on and its like you are sitting in the stadium! I am quite ashamed I didn't know of this man.

The actual film is quite good. There are moments of genuine humour and and angst and warmth. My favourite line - "I am not man. I am Cantona!"

Watch!

Note : The extras are NOT region free. Wouldn't play on my Region A PS3. Had to play the disc on my Region B Sony Player.
on 24 December 2017
Love this film! Even if you’re not a football fan (which I’m not!) you’ll struggle not to enjoy this!
on 28 January 2011
This movie really does live up to its billing as a feel good movie. It is original, funny, touching and kept my attention from start to finish and with the added bonus of having Eric Cantona, great for all football fans and fans of Eric as an actor. The only word of caution I would give is that there is a huge amount of swearing in it, mostly the F word, so you might want to be careful not to watch it with people who do not like swearing.
on 2 November 2015
classic british comedy. cleverly written with characters you cannot help but be fond of and have a good laugh with. this is possibly my favourite comedic movie.
on 14 March 2016
There were times I laughed a lot, but in general very depressing to my liking.
One person found this helpful