TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 November 2009
I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" of Lynyrd Skynyrd, I've got the statutory greatest hits album and that's it really so please take it from me that I am therefore not an "ignore the warts" fanboy and neither am I a gainsayer of southern rock. i am reviewing this album as someone who has now listened to it for a few plays now, and can give what I hope is a well reasoned review. And I have to be positive.

This is a fine rock album; Great tunes, well played, rocking when required with some quieter moments interspersed at just the right moments. it's really, really good. I must admit that I thought it could be a going through the motions sort of product but the band seems to gel superbly, the production is excellently crisp and it just an all round pleasure to listen to. Others will go into more detail for you as this is a visceral impression but the word that springs to mind most readily is "enjoyment". I enjoy this album. It's easy to listen to, doesn't demand too much from you and the time spent listening to it passes in an instant.

I can't praise this album enough.
on 1 October 2009
As only a casual fan of the band, I bought this album on the back of hearing the superb "Unbroken" and I can honestly say, it's the first album I've ever heard where I LOVE every track, and right from the first listen. Superb melody, stunning vocals that rich melodic wall of guitar you'd hope for. Hard to pick out a favorite, but today it's "Floyd"; dripping with... erm.... swamp!!
on 6 November 2009
This album hasn't been off my player since it arrived. I wasn't expecting such a great album. Commercially acceptable and yet everything that makes LS great is on here. You want a 'lil bit 'o country - you got it. You want it swampy - you got it. You like your rock loud 'n hard - you got it. Ballads or belters, this album has it all. I am seriously impressed that after all these years these guys have still got the chops, both writing and playing to make some seriously great music.

The smart packaging and extra tracks are just that, a bonus. God and Guns. Buy it and be happy!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 October 2009
After a couple of patchy albums 'edge of forever' and 'vicious cycle' i wasn't expecting too much,how wrong i was,this is a magnificent disc and probabaly the best since 'street survivors'.There is a quality and consistency running thru this album which was lacking on previous releases,from the superb opening 'still unbroken' to the last notes of 'gifted hands, this is a disc that will have you coming back for more!!The music veers from traditional rockers(simple life/skynyrd nation) to the classic skynyrd groove,i like to call it the 'skynyrd swamp,gator stomp', ha ha,and is most obvious on tracks like 'hobo kinda man' and 'floyd',special mention to 'southern ways' as a real contender for best track and modern classic,unwrite that song and little thing called you will surely feature 'live' ,you can just see the lighters in the air,the title track and 'that aint my america' shows skynyrd at their opionated best rallying against politicians and percieved injustice,classic stuff,one small gripe - the pointless bonus disc,why not have it all on the 1 disc? and who ever chose to leave off 'bang bang' should be shot,this is the most commercial track and potentially a massive hit,one listen and its entrenched in your head,the 3 bonus tracks(studio) are all superb and would have enhanced the single disc,the live versions from a forth coming dvd are decent and suggest the dvd will be worth purchasing.Overall this is easily one of skynyrds finest (of the modern era) and encompasses all the best moments found on 'twenty' and especially 'the last rebel',its a must buy you wont be disapointed
on 11 January 2010
Being a Skynyrd fan for more years than I care to remember and being aware of all that has happened to the band I wasnt sure what to expect when I bought this album. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed.
Sure this is different to the old Skynyrd, more country influences maybe, but they have made a damned good album here. It's hard to say which tracks stand out because the album stands out as a whole thing if you know what I mean! Being a guitar player myself I like to think I have an open mind and my musical tastes are varied (see my other reviews) and this album is full of good, tasteful guitar playing and great vocals too. What really warms my heart is the fact that Lynyrd Skynyrd have always come across as believing every word they sing about. A rarity these days. A great addition to my collection and I,m looking forward to seeing them live in March 2010!
Highly Recommended.
on 16 March 2010
Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns is just an all round great album, from start to finish. When I got this album a few weeks ago I didn't know what to expect but it blew me away. It's an album that you can listen to from start to finish because every song is so different.But the best is by far Floyd! Also on Disc 2 there are some great live tracks. A must buy for any Skynyrd fan!
on 5 October 2009
From the opening bars of the first track, Still Unbroken, this is classic Skynyrd. I only wish they had played this stuff when I saw them recently in Birmingham UK. This Cd is full of tracks that stand up to all of the old stuff and for me 'Little Thing called You' will be a future classic, if it isn't already. Not a bad track on it but if I wanted to be a little critical the last few tracks bring in a bit too much religion which isn't to my taste, particularly in 'Gifted Hands'. That Ain't My America and God And Guns both have a pop at the establishment but the rest are good ol' southern rock at it's best. Brilliant!
on 5 October 2009
Love this album. It would be unfair to say Skynyrd have returned to form - they have surpassed themselves with a great collection of songs. Rickey Medlocke adds a whole new dimension to the band and Johnny Van Zant sings his heart out - they clearly had a lot of fun making this album. On behalf of the fans let me say thank you for delivering. Anyone with even a passing liking for 'Sweet Home..' will find this enjoyable. On a minor negative, you do have to ignore the occasional self indulgent USA politics and patriotism, but without them it wouldn't be Skynyrd!
on 29 November 2009
Well, I've been a fan of these guys for many, many years and was stunned to hear that they had brought out another cd, a double to boot !.
A lot of people will knock it, you know, ' not what I expected ' , ' does not sound like the old Skynyrd ', well it wont will it ?, most of the original line up are dead and buried, and 2 more died in the making of this puppy.
Just buy it for what it is, a cracking double cd with some darn good lyrics, just listen to the title track ' God and Guns ' to see what I'm on about.
on 29 November 2009
Get the special edition of this album with the bonus disc. It is superb with great live tracks as well as the stonking Bang Bang - probably the best track on the whole set.