on 10 September 2013
I am a jazz enthusiast in my mid- 70s and I've just "discovered" Mike Oldfield through buying this CD package at a bargain price on Amazon.
Of course, I was familiar with the hit singles and was aware of the original "Tubular Bells" but had never actually heard it.
I'm now a Mike Oldfield enthusiast and have obtained some of his other full length albums as I consider him to be an extraordinary talent as a multi-instrumentalist, composer and producer of some wonderful music.
Some reviewers have called this stuff "good background" music but I have to disagree. It demands your attention in its many forms of melodious neo-classical, rock, folk, heavy metal etc.
The only slight criticism I would make about Oldfield's albums are that some of them sound very similar. You have to hear "Music Of The Spheres", "The Voyager" or "Guitars" for something a bit different while still bearing the stamp of his superb talent.
For those who have yet to discover this man's immense talent and ability to enthral the discerning listener, this set is a perfect introduction. You get the original "tubular Bells" complete on one disc and the hit singles with excerpts from his most highly rated albums on the other. Like me, new listeners will no doubt go on to acquiring more albums.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 May 2010
Rock landmark or series of build-ups without a climax? New direction in music, or merely an interesting dead-end? I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice about Tubular Bells. This was the first time I'd heard it in twenty years and I must say I enjoyed it more than in those days, when I expected a little more action from my music. I still think the 'grand piano' section goes on forever. Look how many instruments I can play!

Disc two is a collection of Oldfield's shorter works. Again, I hadn't heard 'Shadow on the Wall' since listening to my Mum's old LP of Crises, about the time I started Big School. It's good to have things like that, Moonlight Shadow and folky efforts like Portsmouth and In Dulce Jubilo - masterpieces in miniature - all in one place. It's only a shame there aren't more of them, because excerpts from the longer album pieces don't work so well.

What I'm really waiting for, though, is the re-issue of Hergest Ridge...
on 26 July 2017
Wanted a "greatest hit" of Mike Oldfield, to play in the car, with excerpts from longer works & all the singles. Glad that I got this CD as there are some really nice tracks on it & representative of his career. Would recommend this CD to anyone as a good introduction to his earlier work.BTW "Man on the Rocks" is even better.
on 6 February 2015
This is a truly unique and wonderful album set. I love Tubular Bells, all the highs and lows in the music, all the different instruments - fantastic. When you finally get to the tubular bells it's like you've been on a rollercoaster - that's just the first track. The album also has pop music, love ballads, rock, as well as instrumental. Really remarkable. I highly recommend this.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 30 December 2013
This still sounds fresh and crisp some 40 years since I first bought Oldfield on vinyl. He was sensational then, conceptually, artistically and musically. With digital sound and great headphones, I've heard nuances and background instruments on almost every track that were never so clear. It's a belting taster and I've played it over and over since downloading. A true and timeless classic.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 19 October 2010
Quite simply it's just great to hear this music again which previously I had owned on vinyl, and not heard since 19?? ... too much about how old I must be! The music sounds great all over again and the quality of recording is also great. I know there have been many versions of TB brought out over the years and I note that other reviewers have found this tiresome, however I don't feel the need to buy them all so found this version both true to the original and I enjoyed it.
on 2 November 2017
Came quickly so very happy haven't played it yet but delighted with it. Will order again with this seller.
on 14 February 2014
Way back when as we all know Mike Oldfield started Branson's Music Label with Tubular Bells of which some Is on here and 35 to 40 years It's the same haunting tone which sticks In your mind, It's like It never goes away and It's nostalgia and that's why I bought It.
One person found this helpful
on 11 September 2017
Got this as a gift for my Dad, he said it's an excellent album.
on 14 August 2013
A good compilation of the best work of Mike Oldfield. A little deceiving though, as the download version contains A remix of Tubular Bells plus 2 bonus tracks, whereas this CD version doesn't. So if you want the Tubular Bells version then go for the download. Oh yes and I still love Moonlight Shadow!