on 8 October 2013
I was pretty much a total beginner when i bought this DVD. The teacher is lovely and begins by teaching the very basic salsa steps which are repeated and shown from different angles. She then builds in more sophisticated moves and ends by putting them all together in a dance sequence. This is done in 3 stages which get progressively more challenging. With practice you'll soon be able to do all 3 dance sequences together.
You may find the first couple of times you watch the dances put together they are fast and difficult to follow. Don't lose heart. What i did is take note of each move as she taught it, then turned the dvd off and practicsed in my own time with my own music. On returning to the DVD, i was able to follow the dances perfectly.
This is a great DVD to improve you're overall performance on the dance floor (as well as work up a sweat if you want to burn calories). If you've ever got up to dance and not really been sure what to do with your arms and feet, this really gives you some great tips on how to look great very easily. Love it, and wish she would do another.
on 10 February 2014
I bought this along with a few other dance dvds a month ago. I cannot get to classes ,so I have built up a little of library of fitness/ dance/salsa dvds.This dvd is good if you want to learn or perfect salsa steps. The lesson bits are very good,each new step in explained, repeated a lot, and you get a reverse view at the end .They are then combined into 3 routines with music.The music is fast.Even by salsa standards. I have some salsa experience but I struggle,each move is done twice in the routine,repeatedly. I think it would be better done 4 times at least. I am persevering tho and now I play only the combinations ,and can keep up mostly.I think this is good as a substitute for classes ,absolute beginners might find it too hard,( because of the speed), at first.I deducted a star because of the that .The warmup and cooldown sections are good. (I slightly prefer" dance with Lisa" because of the longer dance section but I use both these dvds equally)
on 10 April 2010
If you're not familiar with salsa moves, the easiest way to learn is solo, rather then the complexity of learning with a partner, as so many other salsa instruction DVDs offer. And Yesenia Adame is the ideal teacher; an expert in her field, she has clear verbal instructions, is beautiful to watch, and has a charismatic personality. And as Yesenia says in the beginning, "You'll be having so much fun learning, that you won't realize you're getting a workout."

After a smooth 5 minute warm-up, Yesenia and her 2 assistants, Ashle and Nicolette, teach you all the basic steps you'll ever need in salsa (the rest is all embellishment!), and then move on to the 3 combinations. The preliminary section before each combination is learning those basic steps spiced up with added variations, and then you dance them with the music, which is by Johnny Polanco y su Conjunto and Benise. There is a final run-through which is a blast, and a great workout too! It ends with a short and stretchy "cool down."

The production is excellent, and allows one to see the steps from the front, back, and a ¾ side view, making it very easy to follow along and learn each step. This DVD is tailored for beginners, and keeps it simple enough to not over-challenge anyone, but at the same time stays interesting so it never gets boring. "Salsa...Solo!" would make an terrific workout for older folks (both gals and guys too!) as there is nothing to stress any body part, but keeps one moving and can be quite an aerobic form of exercise if you're dancing up to tempo.
on 7 February 2015
Very good product and for me, a total begginner, looks a lot to learn but it is just practise (well, I hope), I only started. For me Yesenia shows a lot of steps and combinations, it just takes time to learn it :) The steps and combinaions a explained very well so you can practise on your own.
on 13 January 2018
Keeping fit and having fun
on 7 December 2010
This is a great salsa workout~it doesn't matter what your level you can just stick to the basic steps if you want to, but it also gives those with more experience a more fun workout. Yesenia is warm and friendly and adds a real latina flavour with positive energy and authentic salsa music. I tried Lilia's latina tone and that was really boring with a flat tone and looked like it had been filmed in the vacated blue peter studio ~ cold, bland and lacked authenticity. Salsa solo will put a smile on your face. It's kinda salsa mixed with las vegas showgirl moves but I just opt out of those! Have fun!
on 18 October 2010
I love Salsa and dance workouts - and got this more for the exercise than to learn salsa. It is great for a beginner up to the second half of the DVD then it gets just too quick and complicated for me to follow (even with the reverse view to help) - maybe I should have sat and watched it two or three times without trying it but I was dying to get going.
It is fine for learning basics of salsa and does give you a work out as a side effect - but too fast and too complicated for me towards the end and I have given up.
on 6 March 2017
Fun. The Tutor is reversed, so you can mirror her.
on 28 December 2015
This DVD is aimed solely at teaching women the basic Salsa steps and is not really suitable for men. I therefore had to return it.
on 25 March 2016
Great for beginners but "practice sessions" are quite fast and difficult to follow. Still great enjoyment