on 25 May 2017
This is a great little wire saw indeed, but you know what I like best? The price!!

Compared to ones I have previously had (which have also snapped) this is a very decent price, and a really handy item to keep tucked away in a camping kit bag or suchlike.

Oh I know what you're going to say, it won't get through a huge tree that falls and prevents you being on your way, but it's not designed for that, and really, how many times does that happen? Exactly. Exactly!!

I'm not sure if Commandos actually use this one, I suspect that might not actually be the case, but it was enough of a reason to sneak a couple of phrases from the film into my review. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too!

Anyway, joking aside this is a cheap and useful addition to a camping/survival type kit.

Thanks for reading my review - I hope it's helpful in trying to make a purchase decision, and if you appreciate the information or find it helpful then I would of course be grateful if you'd be kind enough to rate my review as being helpful, thankyou!
on 3 September 2017
What a total waste of money! So cheaply and poorly made that it didn't even survive my first attempt to cut a small hazel branch. For many years I had another wire saw, made by a different company, and that work perfectly. I could cut large branches. I suspect that the makers of this saw had come across a photograph of a proper wire saw in a book and then decided to make one but had no understanding of how it would work or the strains involved in cutting even the smallest piece of wood. A total joke saw!
See photo: the remains of the so-called Commando Saw, note the sparse thin wires that still remain.
review image
on 24 December 2017
Husbands review:

Not impressed.

Purchased this to cut some 4” (100mm) plastic drain pipe that was impossible to get a hack saw at.

Not sure if it was technique but this this thing just kept snagging no matter how slowly I took it. Also tried reducing the pressure on the cut.

It snapped halve way through the first cut and quickly found itself in the bin.

Finished the job off with a multi tool and cut a hatch big enough to get the tool in the pipe.

There are better ways to cut plastic pipe!
on 6 November 2017
I used this because a lazy plumber had silicon sealed and stuck my toilet cistern to my wall tiles. The mechanics in the toilet (3 years later) needed replacing and getting the cistern from the wall was proving troublesome.

Enter the wire saw which made quick work of the sealant along the back of the cistern and allowed me to replace syphon.
Recommended for anything lazily stuck down with sealant in hard to reach places.
on 12 April 2013
Well, I bought this as an extra 'luxury' to go into my lightweight camping kit, and although it does cut wood, it has a tendency to stick badly when cutting anything that's living - I've not had this problem with other similar designs that have teeth as opposed to the 'diamond wire' style of this saw.
Other than that though, it's fairly efficient on dry wood, as long as it's not too thick (about an arm's width is going to be your limit), and it's very compact too - fits nicely in my jacket pocket.
on 1 February 2018
Good outdoor must have. Small well made. Good carry case.
on 7 June 2017
Really good for going through medium sized wood ,even green branches.better with two people
on 26 November 2017
I found this not a lot of use. I found that it kept getting stuck. The stuff that it was able to cut was also snapable so didn't need the wire
on 20 July 2017
I have just used this item, it lasted 5 minutes before it snapped at the strap.
They say you get what you pay for, not in this case unless your cutting cheese.
on 6 February 2018
does not cut as required, snags. Worthwhile buying a 12-15 pound chain with teeth