Top positive review
3 people found this helpful
Very good un-professional DVD of rare Genesis footage.
on 8 January 2011
Like the early Peter Gabriel era footage, the short lived Ray Wilson era has proved just as rare and difficult to obtain.
Apart from pretty good to poor quality youtube videos and dire old VHS tapes, this 1998 'Calling All Stations tour' video has been largely unavailable.
Immortal, the company that released a double CD of the same concert have also given us a double DVD set to watch.
Again a minor quibble out the way first, like the CD set, the true opening track 'No Son Of Mine', has been totally left off this DVD. So I'm now thinking that there must have been a good reason for this.
This DVD set features the same style in packaging as the CD, and is very well done. Good photos of the band, accurate sleeve notes, and even an inlay card giving us a brief insight of the band's history.
Now for the actual video footage. The picture quality over the 2 discs is for the most part very good, as is the audio. A few tracks suffer a little bit where the picture becomes a little hazy and the audio goes slightly poorer. But by no means does it go terrible.
Between a few songs the audience cheering jumps slightly, but thankfully this does not happen during the actual performances. I think the jumps occur because some songs are actual youtube clips inserted to fill missing portions of the video. But if they are youtube clips, they look like they've been somewhat cleaned up as best as possible.
I'd say that 80% of the time the overall quality of the 2 DVDs is very good, the other 20% the quality is ok.
Again top marks to Immortal for releasing a worthwhile product (albeit bootleg, obviously) of a very under-rated period in Genesis' history. For me this DVD also shows us just how good Ray Wilson really was with Genesis, as was Nir Zidkyahu the drummer in their sadly short lived time with the group.
I'd just like to conclude with this, I'd previously given the audio CD version 4 stars, but after viewing the DVD I'd say that the CD should really be about 3.5 stars and the DVD 4 stars.