Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 May 2017
Mysterious and enchanting
on 1 January 2013
I bought this CD after seeing the Trio Joubran live performance at the Band on the Wall in Manchester in 2011. If I were to recall musical moments where I was deeply moved and emotionally engaged this would have been one of those moments where I forgot for an hour where I was and was completely taken by the music.

The oud, one of the world's oldest string instruments is very much associated with Arabic music and was the precursor of the European lute and, by extension, the guitar.

I am not new to oud music and I have thoroughly enjoyed the likes of Farid El Atrache, Munir Bashir or Charbel Rouhana but came to a point where I started to look for new musical excitements. Le Trio Joubran are so different and the fact they are performing as a trio add an extra dimension to their music. It catches you and overwhelms with emotions. It is a slow musical build, intensifying with every minute. The addition of a percussionist on this album is a great idea. Youssef Hbeisch is a gifted musician who collaborated, amongst others, with Ahmed Khatib, Simon Shaheen, Suliman Erguner and The Peace Ensemble with Sister Marie Keyrouz.

This albums features their own compositions except the traditional song Min Zaman.
on 1 January 2013

on 16 March 2013
I have listened to all three of their discs and I think this one is the most interesting. The compositions are more varied and the textures richer. I find myself listening to it time and time again. Best value for money in my judgement.
on 6 December 2015
Saw them at the Barbican a few months ago, bought tickets on spec and was seriously impressed with the music. Bought this CD in a back street in Essaouria in Morocco for a couple of quid and it's brilliant. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything else by them or I'd have bought them as well. If they're ever back in London I'll be going to see them again.
on 9 November 2013
I bought this as a gift to a friend. definitely worthed every penny. it is a very nice band, nice nusic
on 6 May 2011
great music - from the soul
on 16 March 2016