on 3 October 2010
Deliberated long and hard before settling on these bins.
Wanted for general use.
They are very good. very clear optics compared to my old 8x32 compacts.
Well made,sturdy,excellent size fo a quite powerfull pair of binoculars.
Have used them for looking at wildlife, moon, aircraft.
I will be taking them with me on a cruise soon.
Highly recommended.
Barr & Stroud have always produced optics for the military.I am pleased that I have bought from a historically important manufacturer.
on 18 April 2011
I am really quite pleased with these binoculars, they did cost more than I initially set out to spend but it has been worth while for the quality of build. I did a lot of review reading on 'professional' web sites prior to making the purchase and found these met my personnal requirements. Been out in various weather conditions and found the performance unaffected. Good carrying case and additional shoulder strap. Disappointments? the user manual is inadequate (looks like an after thought), the lens caps may easily get detached/lost from the body. I have learnt over the years that you get what you pay for, these binoculars are built to last.
on 12 May 2013
These are the second pair of Barr and Stroud binoculars I've bought for bird/nature watching. The first pair were the 8x42 Sahara and my wife and I were so impressed by the build and image quality, we decided to buy another pair to stop us fighting over them! Much clearer than the Opticron and RSPB binoculars we had before, we didn't realise how much we were missing! I've tried most of the makes available at camera shops and binoculars this good normally cost 3 or 4x the price, they compare to the Visionary Inara and the Bushnells which are also very good.
We decided to go with a stronger magnification this time (10x42) expecting them to be bigger and heavier, but we were pleasantly surprised as they are indentical to the 8x42s and not noticibly heavier (4gs more).
I can't comment on how long they will last, but I've had them in the rain with no problems and they come with a 10 yr guarantee as well (5 yrs parts and labour/5 yrs parts only).
Recommended
on 9 January 2011
I needed a new pair of binoculars for wildlife watching, ones that would perform well without breaking the bank. These fit the bill perfectly and in fact having used them now for a few months through a Scottish winter, I have been very impressed.

The BAK 4 prisms give a good sharp image with no obvious aberrations, the focussing is smooth and precise and the rugged waterproof and fogproof body means they perform well on a dull, dreich Scots winter's day. Another nice touch is the tethered lens covers and eyepiece caps - many makers just can't get these right (and some don't provide them at all).

These binoculars will compete with much more expensive makes. At this price they are a bargain and would make a great entry level purchase for someone interested in birdwatching or watching wildlife. I was so pleased with them that I subsequently bought the 8 x 32 Barr & Stroud binoculars for my wife and these also perform brilliantly. If you are looking for a slightly more compact and lighter binocular without compromising performance, I can also recommend these.

Whilst the maker is not the Barr & Stroud company of yesteryear, we are very satisfied with the quality of the item and would recommend these to anyone looking for a good quality piece of kit on a budget.
on 29 December 2011
These 'proper' binoculars have 10x magnification and because of their slightly bigger aperture may work better in poor light compared to more compact binooculars (eg 10x25). They are not the lightest, but very rugged. Good optics, good value.
on 8 January 2012
I ordered these for my son I use Binoculars every day in my job and for the money I was very impressed. They are light,clear easy to focus and waterproof. I would recommend them for marine use.
on 7 July 2012
At only £67.99 how could I be anything other than delighted, met all my expectations. Delivery quick even with standard shipping and item well packed, so no damage and item ready to use on receipt.
on 16 July 2016
Any star rating has to take into account the cost of purchase and for that reason these binoculars get five stars from me. They are so prsctical, waterproof for 15 minutes at shallow depths, focus easily and wont break your neck wearing them I love them and have used them over the last week for bird watching, moon watching and plane spotting and for me as a complete amature they have been excellent. Againf for the price they are great and I would recommend them to anybody that wants to have a go but not spend a fortune. In the same week I bought these I was given a pair of Carl Zeiss Luna binoculars and in direct comparison the CS pair have a slicker focus action and marginally crisper image but that is all (they are over forty years old). The B&S have a handy tripod mount, under the button between the front lenses, rubber casing and lens caps. Take some time to get used to the focus action and you can have a lot of fun tracking birds in flight and details of the moon surface just jump out at you.
on 12 March 2012
Really pleased with these binoculars - they compare well with more expensive ones. They had plenty of use on a recent bird watching holiday in Norfolk.
on 13 March 2013
I did a lot of research both online and in shops before buying these binoculars. There are cheaper brands available, and many much more expensive brands(!), but these looked very reliable and reasonable to me from everything I saw. I am not disappointed, in fact I am extremely happy with them. I mostly use them for very amateur birdwatching, and they outperform my previous cheap 10x50 pair: I can now pick out a chaffinch from a goldfinch in a neighbouring tree whereas the last pair only showed me silhouettes! I also do a little stargazing, they can easily show the Galilean moons and also the Andromeda galaxy. The compact size is a joy compared to my old cheap pair, but mainly they just feel great to hold, nice and tight, and a nice texture, making them feel as expensive as the alternatives that cost four, five, seven, even ten times the price!