Customer reviews

on 26 April 2017
Fitted my camera perfectly so can now use my SLR again to take "good" photos. It even came with a lens hood which was a bonus./
on 9 April 2013
Yes, this is a standard 18-55mm slow-apertured kit lens and will never win any awards for fine optical performance. It's soft wide open at 55mm (stop it down to f/8) but apart from that it performs well for what it is. I swapped my old mark II 18-55 for this one and don't regret it. The only differences are that this version is better built and weather resistant.

No other brand offers a kit lens with weather resistance, which is one of the top reasons to go with Pentax. In fact, most don't even come with a metal mount, a hood or built-in over-ride of the AF, all of which are available here.

I have a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens (which is great) and several DA Limited primes, but for nasty conditions this is the lens I use. I've used this lens in the humidity and rain of Cambodia and Vietnam, the snow of mountainous Cantabria, the sandy beaches of Lanzarote and the rain of Scotland, and it never lets me down.
on 18 November 2014
hmm. I got this lens, together with the 35mm DA lens with my K-3. Optically this kit lens is just ok in my opinion. This is the same for most kit lenses I believe. It's soft unless stopped down. It's not great in indoors/low light, not impressing with fine detail. I find it a struggle to get decent pictures out of it. I was keeping an eye on the ISO too. To be honest this could be partly due to my inexperience with the K-3 but I do have far greater success with the 35mm.The kit lens on my old Nikon 5000 seems better. It's perhaps unfair to compare here as it's apples and oranges. The good news is that the Pentax lens is weather sealed so really handy in Northern climes. It's also reasonably well made and looks good on camera. The CA seems low and focus is not a problem.The 35mm lens out performs it easily. As I got this with the camera I think I will keep it, however I think I will purchase another zoom such as the Tamron 17-50 as I believe it is sharper.
on 18 September 2010
Thanks Amazon for selling this lens to me in June 2010 for £75 incl. delivery to France, what a good deal. It arrived in a couple of days and performs very well; great handling thanks to light weight and fast focussing. Has low distortion, little flare, is very sharp at mid-apertures and still quite sharp at max aperture. The new price has soared but a few are available s/h for about £50. Highly recommended. Enjoy! Johnsp80.
Came with my Pentax K-5 as standard fitment and I guess there may be the odd occasion when I may use it . Maximum aperture is a bit slow throughout it's zoom range and in truth I'm not a big fan of auto focus.No great shakes optically. My real reason for buying the Pentax K5 was to experiment with using it with Pentax 'legacy' manual focus lenses. To this end two lenses are my regular companions with this camera , a Pentax SMC-A 28mm f2.8 and a Pentax SMC-A 50mm f1.7 . These give me equivalent 35mm focal lengths of 42mm and 75mm respectively. Stopped down a mere couple of stops from their maximum apertures both become frighteningly sharp and blow this autofocus zoom ( at equal focal lengths) clean out of the water.
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2013
Bought this lens to try on a Pentax K5-IIs (Made by Ricoh now). The lens is very good value for money. It also features wether resistant seals so that you can take advantage of the weather resistant camera range under the Pentax brand name. My only bugbear was with the Pentax branded camera that I bought as it kept seizing up on me at odd times; but regular odd times! In the end I got a refund and am sticking with Canon and/or Nikon gear! I don't blame Pentax, as I am a Pentax fan of old (355mm days) but aparently, according to internet researches, many other people have had problems with Ricoh-made Pentax cameras too. For those who do nit have such problems, this lens is a bargain!

The 18-55mm zoom range is ideal for travel, landscapes, street scenes and such if you don't want to have to mess about changing lenses, or indeed carrying a bag full of lenses with you. Obviously the quality of a Zoom lens image will never match a Prime Lens but that is hardly surprising seeing as you are looking through extra peices of chunky glass!

Overall very good value for money and with other brand cameras you could be looking at almost twice the price or more to get the same quality glass in front of your body.
on 30 April 2016
Suits the Pentax K50, works and arrived undamaged/scuffed. Happy with it.
on 10 April 2015
Takes shots but only really sharp around 35mm.
on 2 May 2012
Although this is a good, quality kit lens from Pentax - it is just a very basic lens.
On the plus side though, it is light, simplistic and totally ideal for 'Snapshots' whether basic landscape or simple, portrait creativity. A nice additon to your camera equipment - but only in elementary terms; as it is a good basic all rounder. . But nevertheless, I guess you could push the boat out a bit - as with the combined use of cheap extension tubes; you should be able to capture some really excellent macro shots in terms of close up photography?

If I was a beginner, I personally would not kick it out of bed; but on the minus side - for someone who already owns an array of prime lenses; then put it in storage.

Pentax please (now owned by Ricoh) wake up and smell the coffee - and produce better kit lenses as the availabilty out there, for the finding of prime lenses, is rather bleak for Pentax owners. Great cameras and highly underrated - , but we need more selection of lenses.
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse