on 27 March 2017
Having parents who lived and fought during the war years this music was always a part of my growing up my dad would play them on the piano while my mum sang them and to find a set of 100 in one package at such a cheap price was such a great find and brings back so many memories of my parents and the brave people who lived and died to keep our country free I'm so happy to have it in my collection.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 November 2012
I heard this playing in a retro emporium earlier this week. An hour's browsing around to these tunes and I practically marched out of the shop: the air of jollity was overwhelming. I soon tracked the songs down to this good value mp3 collection through Amazon. If youre looking for some 1930s/40s tunes for a party or production, don't pick and choose, just download the entire album: it's a really good time capsule too. The first 20 songs are essentially the classic British WW2 pick-me-ups - plenty of patriotic, deliberately stirring numbers from the likes of Gracie Fields, Vera Lynn, Arthur Askey and George Formby. Songs of support for the Navy, air-raid shelters and all pulling together, regardless of class! The bulk of the remainder showcases American dancehall cool, with notable and instantly recognisable classics from Duke Ellington (Take the A-train), Tommy Dorsey (Opus No. 1) and loads of Glenn Miller. You can even hear the roots of rock and roll in something like Louis Jordan's Caldonia. Vocal groups and soloists from the US are well represented too (including the young Frank Sinatra, Perry Como and Doris Day) before the final 20 or so songs return matters to the UK, with more balladry on offer this time (including London Pride from Noel Coward) and a good proportion of (I imagine) later wartime songs looking forward to eventual peace. Listen out for The World Will Sing Again by a young Betty Driver, a/k/a hot-pot Betty Turpin from Coronation St. Sound quality is as one would expect - mono with the odd pop and crackle here and there - but it wasn't crystal clear back then either and doesn't detract one bit. Addictive, toe-tapping stuff.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2017
Good value
4 people found this helpful
on 29 August 2014
I'll admit it, this was an impulse purchase. I'm a huge fan of the history of rock 'n' roll generally, but had largely disregarded anything music-wise prior to 1952, and I purchased it largely to provide evidences of what was out there before the charts ever existed. Having listened to it, however, I'm overawed - this compilation is exceptional. There are so many songs that I recognize, although I'm only 40, and for those of an older generation this selection of 100 tracks must be the soundtrack to their memories. For the music historian, it provides an almost complete backdrop to what became "the charts" in 1952: with the 3-minute tracks, the musical arrangements and the crooners. The contrast is also there - the Ink Spots, Frank Sinatra, George Formby, Andrews Sisters, etc. Perhaps it's the anniversary timing, but Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" still has the power to bring a lump to the throat. If one pays attention to what is in the charts now (2014), these tracks demonstrate the origin of what what was to come over the following 60 years, and I'm pleased I added it to my collection. In short,it is an essential addition to those who have followed the development of music thru Nat King Cole, Elvis, skiffle, the Beatles, the Stones, T-Rex, disco, punk, new romantic, Britpop...all the way up to "Blurred Lines" and Rhianna. This was the template for it all, better than 60 years ago, and provides the soundtrack for a generation we should never forget, In short, a great bargain for those who are interested in the origins of popular music.
on 29 December 2015
This CD Collection is what it is, 100 hits from the Wartime era and many of these are well known classics making it perfect for what we bought them for. I purchased these along with 5 other collections which was sufficient for a good evenings entertainment.

No quibbles with the sound quality and all the track data was instantly found meaning quick and simple play in our PC based software.

Overall excellent, and a snip at £5, that's 5p a track!
on 17 May 2018
Amazing for price.
I bought this to enhance engagement in WW2 for my Year 5 class - and it's addictive if you have an interest in this period of our history.
on 5 September 2016
package arrived in good order all song are clear and some of them i remember other are totale new but I've enjoied it very much
One person found this helpful
on 10 October 2013
great cd set would recommend for all nostalgic music lovers great speed of delivery but had it the same day i purchased it as it came with free download as well this was great as most of my music i put onto my laptop and this saved me having to convert it to mp3 myself saved a lot of time just wish amazon would provide the covers with there downloads as these are often useful to complete a collection
on 5 April 2018
Bought for my mum. She has dementia just helped with her memories.
on 3 June 2017
I lived through the war years albeit as a youngster but then and after I remember the songs
That everyone was humming and still would and this CD captures most of them!
One person found this helpful