• anna

Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 15 January 2014
I bought this as a present for my daughter but had to return it. The description said English so we expected English subtitles but there weren't any subtitles at all. Even if there'd been French subtitles my daughter would have kept it.
on 27 March 2015
First I have to warn - This DVD version is not an English version and does not have English Subtitles.
If you can't understand French then don't buy. If you do then do because this is a great movie which is bang on French 1960's Pop Art cinema. Starring the cool, cute and stylish 60's strumpet Anna Karina in the title role alongside Serge Gainsbourg who also wrote the soundtrack. With direction by Luc Godard this is a psychedelic gem. Get it in your collection (and dig out your old GCSE French text books from the attic).

My rating of 5 stars is based on my bias towards 1960's Pop Art / Psych cinerama. This movie is among the best. The French do this genre so well compared to the British approach which seems to somehow blend 'stiff upper lip' with a 'dirty old man' lust for the A list of models (with little or no acting skills) herded in to gloss over poor scrips.
Anna is a perfect starting point for a journey into French 1960's Cinerama.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse