TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 July 2012
I bought this for multiple reasons: my daughter did a few months of Ukulele at school but they rotate around the instruments quite quickly, my (3 year old) son keeps trying to play my (full size) guitar and lastly I fancied a bash at some George Formby numbers.

I umm'd and ahh'd about the price range to target, but having bought guitars before, my opinion is that typically the sound produced by bottom-end musical instruments is quite poor. So I went for this Ukulele as a step up from the £18-30 range ones. I'm happy to say that the Brunswick has a nice sound. Its not going to win awards, but at the moment I'm a lot more concerned about the quality of my playing than the quality of the instrument.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone starting out - it will give you a nice sound once you've thrown a couple of chords and a rhythm together.

EDIT 4-Jul-2012: Just in case you're getting into the Ukulele and are thinking of buying a tuner: I bought the KALA KC-02 Clip On Ukulele Tuner and have found it to be excellent. It will tune to the two (most?) common Ukulele tuning keys: C and D; and a "Chromatic" mode where it just tells you which note your string is closest too.
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2010
This ukulele has a lovely sound, almost like a harp. I bought it for my son aged 12, who is a keen electric guitar player. He did lots of research and this was the best mid-price instrument he found. It is clearly very good quality, doesn't go out of tune too much and has been great fun and of course is more portable than his electric guitar. The internet provides lots of ways to learn how to play including tab and instructions on you-tube. Ukulele playing seems to be gaining in popularity with the kids, so rather than going for a cheap and cheerful instrument, I would thoroughly recommend paying a bit more for this one.
on 7 January 2015
Having made my mind up that I was going to learn to play ukulele having never played anything in my nearly 70 years I did loads of research and narrowed my choices down to this Brunswick. For my first buy I didn't want to spend a lot of money but didn't want to buy cheap. This mid-price uke looked to be good value and had excellent reviews here on Amazon so I clicked and I've had it for just over a week now.
Well, I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my choice. This is a lovely ukulele. It is beautifully built and, with its Aquila strings, has a beautiful,rich and mellow sound. I also bought, at the same time, a Kinsman Regular Hardshell Soprano Ukulele Guitar Case (excellent) and an Eno ET 33U Clip-On Ukulele Tuner (very good) together with Ukulele for Dummies (excellent).
One very important factor to take into account when buying a new ukulele is that the strings, which are some sort of Nylon, take a while (could be a couple of weeks) to bed in or settle. This is disconcerting at first because you are constantly having to adjust the tuning and some people on here have even thought their ukes were poor quality and given them poor reviews because of it.
IT IS QUITE NORMAL.
As I said, I have had mine for just over a week and it is beginning to hold tune quite nicely.
The Dummies book is a good starter for a complete novice (like me) and YouTube, of course, has loads of good stuff. You can very quickly learn enough chords to be playing a lot of music. I was very pleased with the speed with which I progressed.
I also signed up for an online video training course (Ukulele Tricks) which I have started working through. It has brought a bit of order and discipline to my efforts. The tutor (Brett McQueen, a very young American) is a natural teacher, and there is a forum full of lots of people like me from all over the world sharing their learning experiences.
All in all i'm thrilled with this Brunswick uke. I think it will give me a few years real pleasure.
on 12 December 2010
For the money this is a very good instrument.
It has a clear and fresh sound. Good for the beginner and more.
The thing about buying an intrument that sounds good is that it make it easyer
to progess into a better player. Well worth the money
on 13 December 2014
I've had this Uke for nearly two years. It needed regular tuning for the first month or two. Once settled mine stay tuned for weeks on end and then only needs a minor tweek. It's showing no sighs of wear, tear or deterioration. Quality is good. Sound is excellent and the feel and playability of this Brunswick is much superior to the £150 uke I purchased a couple of months ago. I thoroughly recommend this. Note, I am not a musician, just an someone who enjoys playing songs learnt from Youtube. Hope this helps.
on 16 August 2011
Simply the best value ukulele it is possible to lay your hands on. The quality is great, sound really good (aquila strings really help, and it comes with them). Sometimes there is a reason why things are too good to be true, but I haven't found one. Don't waste time with nasty Stagg, Mahalo or Ashton rubbish. And these are almost idential to Kala ukuleles (to the extend that you would be hard pressed to find any difference at all other than the headstock), and they are cheaper than Kala too. Top purchase.
on 12 November 2011
It's a very nice uke, for beginners, in theory, but much better than some of the toys you can get. Looks good, sounds good: Brunswick are a well-regarded guitar maker, I'm told. It has good quality geared tuners - I noticed immediately how perfectly they were screwed in place. I suppose a machine did it, in which case, good for machines! And it comes supplied with high-grade Italian strings. The strings were put on at the bridge with the cut, sharp ends downwards, so that they scratched my bare fore-arm, but a recent photo I saw appeared to show that the seller may have changed this. The action is high at the nut, and the intonation is poor, as you just get a very basic uncompensated saddle, but if you're confident, you can file down the nut slots a bit to lower the action. It is not solid mahogany - it seems to be a veneered white wood. But, a sign of quality, it is very thin wood, which makes the tone quite loud and rich, as does the slightly larger body than sopranos usually have. But this has the downside that it won't fit into all hard cases.
on 9 May 2015
Sturdy, beautiful tone, easy to play even for a beginner. You can strum along to lots of songs with just three simple chords.One tip, don't use a plastic guitar plectrum, send off for a felt one. This gives a much softer sound.
on 12 December 2014
This ukulele has been bought as a present for a child and it is probably far too good for that. When I was a young teenager, however, I bought a second hand steel string guitar, which had such a poor action (the strings were very difficult to press down) that it was really unplayable. That has taught me that it isn't wise to invest in poor instruments. I only started to play properly when I got another guitar for my 16 th birthday. For that reason I think that this Brunswick is a good investment. If the recipient perseveres with it, it will encourage him to learn.

I have previously bought the concert version of this ukulele as a,present for an adult. They are remarkably good instruments for the money. They sound good. They have a nice bright tone and project sound well and they are also easy to play. The action is good.

I have been keeping the instrument in tune. I have seen some poor ratings given to ukuleles on this site because the reviewers complain about the instrument going out of tune. All new ukuleles and guitars (and possibly other string instruments as well) go out of tune quickly until the strings settle down by being stretched by continuously kept in tune. This "problem" is more noticeable with nylon stringed instruments such as ukuleles and classical guitars. Anyone buying a ukulele should expect this and it is advisable to
have an electronic ukulele or chromatic tuner handy to make repeated tuning easier. This Brunswick's tuning settled down after the first day. By the second day it could be played for a reasonable time without having to be re-tuned; I think that's quite good.

I should also point out that I have relatively big hands and own a concert and tenor ukuleles myself. I can, however, play this soprano reasonably well. An adult buyer should try to establish, which size of ukulele is best for them. A soprano is, however, the best buy for children.

This ukulele also looks good. The simple mahogany finish is really nice and retro.

All in all, I recommend this Brunswick BU4S Soprano. It is a good instrument.
on 15 October 2013
This is my first ukulele and I am truly in love with the Brunswick. This ukulele is well made and 5 star quality sound. Don't get the ukulele toy, it's worth spending a little bit more and you get an ukulele that you'll love for life.