on 21 November 2009
The heart of my first computer build, a lot of research brought me to this product. Intel vs AMD seems difficult to separate, though as I had decided on an AMD motherboard then of course I needed an AMD processor (be careful right socket as well). Watch out with the memory type to use as I found that FSB 800mhz was the maximum for this processor, which I think means if you use any higher it is just wasted. Below the price and performance levels of the quad cores, this is still a very fast and able processor. Scores highly in the Windows 7 performance tables. This processor is OK for W7 32/64bit ( I use 64 bit). It was easy to install, and even for a first time buyer the instructions were hardly necessary. The bundled cooler looks a bit flimsy, but the appearance does not mean any lack of performance. Only a few weeks after building the PC I have no problems. Look for the 2mb cache version (often hiding in the small print) as the 1mb cache seems more common.
55 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2010
This CPU runs at around 28c at Idle and around 38c under load the supplied heatsink and fan are o.k. if no overclocking is done.

I am using a Foxconn M61PMV mother board, 4 Gig of DDR 2 ram, and a Nvidia Zotac GTS 250 Graphics card.

With this set up I get a 3D Mark 06 Score of 12300 on the standard default settings.

This unit performs a lot better than the older same speed 3.0 GHZ 6000+ CPU, and yet stills run far cooler than that one did.

i
on 16 November 2009
The item had been delivered superbly fast even though I went for an Amazon free delivery option.
Product itself is exactly what producer claims it to be - new generation 2 core processor in high end of the range, in my opinion extremely good value for money. More than enough power for DIY multimedia station, if you are looking to get something to deal with the latest video games, go for Phenom II x4 though.
on 16 April 2010
this item came the next day on time, it was easy to install and it comes with the standard AMD heatsink with some thermal grease already applied. i have had no problems with this cpu as it is working great.
on 16 March 2010
I love this processor, great speed and low power technology. As i have only a 32 bit operating system so I can't really comment on it's full power but i would highly recommend this chip.
on 15 May 2013
When were talking about value for money, this thing is top. It runs smooth as you like, paired with a fairly decent gpu, this thing runs any game on high settings. couldn't ask for more for the money.
I am a very happy customer :)
on 29 December 2010
I was lucky enough to receive one of these as a Christmas present, along with an AM2+ motherboard (possibly not from Amazon though).

Easy to install, with heatsink (and pre-applied thermal paste) plus fan is included.

It runs cool with the reference heatsink, I recorded 26 C idle.

I mostly use the processing capability for music playback, CD burning and audio format conversion. It can convert AAC to MP3 very swiftly indeed, with multitasking being more than acceptable for my needs.

For comparison, the performance seems similar to the Intel Pentium duel core E5300 which I have used in another system. In my opinion, AMD's socket AM3 offers better upgrade options than Intel's socket 775 and also means that I can use my existing DDR2 RAM with an AM2+ motherboard.

Overall, I think that this is a very capable product. The asking price of about £50 makes it a veritable bargain.
on 5 September 2010
Cautious about making my first computer I decided to get this processor as it seemed to be fantastic for the price and fast. I obviously did my research well because this is a great wee processor. Arrived quickly from Amazon, I have to say the box was slightly bashed and didn't look exactly like the one in the picture but it was the definitely same processor and the box damage was only cosmetic. Combined with 2GB of ram this gets my computer from being completely off to online in less than 30 Seconds!! An amazing processor and I would definitely recommend it.
on 2 November 2010
This cpu is a great cpu. It is a budget cpu but it is powerful. Especially when you overclock it which is easy. I have know problem running any games. You should use this with a ATI RADEON 5770 gpu. That is the best option. With that setup I can still run high demanding games such as MAFIA 2 (but i have to run under 1600x900). This cpu is great for the price and if your building a budget gaming pc, this is the cpu for you.
on 11 February 2011
having been an Intel guy for so long i thought it was time to change so i got a amd CPU and i will never look back at Intel as this Amd CPU is out of this world. My PC is so much faster and multitasking is not a problem also works well with gaming as well as i can play call of duty black ops without a hitch.