on 9 November 2012
I cannot recommend this kit enough for all you trekkie modellers and anybody else who likes a challenge... a challenge for me as I have NEVER done "airfix" before this !!!.

Just have a little patience, steady hand... and I well recommend the "acrylic" water based paints (as per Revell's own rec)... easy to use, easy to clean, etc...... I think I spent ~£20-£30 on paints, glue and a set of medium-good quality brushes.... and some paint is left over....

Oh..... I decided to add some internal "illuminations" to this kit..... windows, warp nacelles, deflector dish.... kinda cool when "switched on" as the deflector and warp nacelles "warm up" slowly...oh, and the bussard collectors (bits on the front of the nacelles) glow different colours!!)...REALLY NICE RESULT!!

Well..... I am going to buy a 2nd Voyager kit..... not only do I want to "improve" on the "illuminations but I also want to use my new found experience and what I learned when doing the 1st model (and also a from building a model of a Vulcan bomber... that was fun too!).... such as cleaning off the plastic burrs and rounding of the bits and bobs before painting... just to try and make it look that little bit "smoother" and realistic.... Also I might try some "spray painting".... which I think for the Voyager model will be ideal as the majority of it is "one colour"

Cant wait !!..... sorry, waffled on a bit... shame I cant post a pic for you truly sad tekkies like me, to take a peek!!!!!!!

Jim >:)
55 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2013
I have previously made Star Trek Enterprise 1701 (Refit) and Enterprise 'D' next generation. Plus a Klingon bird of Prey. I felt the next model must be the Voyager. I read one review that said the model was very large. I can confirm when finished it will 51 cm long. Now that is large. I must say that of the models I have made before (Star Trek models) none are of the same scale I.e. 1,000/1 or 1,350/1 All this means is when you display them together they will look out of scale to the films and series. I would recommend you display them seperatley. However as regards the Voyager model. I am one thirds through the build. All the components are well made and detailed in fact excellent. The kit comes with adhesive and a few paints plus a brush. You will need extra colours. I further would add due to the size of the model a spray gun would be an advantage. I don't have one and you will need a lot of patience as you will need to re-cover areas at least three times to get the required finish. I can't give a definitive score on the model as I haven't finished it yet. However so far 5/5 a great value model and its well made.
on 17 June 2013
Was surprised just how big this kit is once you get it out of the box... will be (when finished) a fantastic kit. though to do it justice is needs an airbrush kit to make the paint job decent enough.
One word of warning - if you are not a serious model maker the number of paints listed will be a bit of a shock. But like several others I have gone one further and drilled windows out to add LED's thoughout
on 3 January 2014
I purchased this kit many years ago and built it as a kid and loved building it. I've just bought it again to light it.

For the inexperienced modeller this kit will be a good build. Typical modern Revell quality, no flash and good levels of detail.

The parts go together pretty well (it is a vast improvement on the old ERTL/MPC/AMT Star Trek kits) and you can get away with a basic paint job. The windows are quite large but the kit supplies decals to sit behind those, so if you not going to light the kit then there is at least something to fill the void.

There are plenty of decals as well and this is a big kit, so it will take up some shelf space and look quite imposing.

For the experienced modeller there is plenty of scope to superdetail. There are after market kits to detail the bridge and various other parts and if you're so inclined there is enough space to kit bash some interior (so that people can see detail through the windows).

I'm planning on lighting the kit and there is plenty of scope for this.

If Voyager or Star Trek is your thing, then you can't go far wrong with this kit.
on 7 October 2015
Am waiting till I have got all the proper gear to make this model so cannot comment on it until it's finished but going on the contents of the box and other reviews I'm looking forward to making it and fitting lights
on 28 December 2013
As a voyager fan this kit had been amazing to build, I can imagine it almost as the real thing everyday I get some more done. Decals are a tad annoying but once they are on they look brilliant. Just waiting for my lighting to come through to finish her.
on 14 October 2014
Well moulded kit.
Not for the faint of heart. his kit needs careful attention to painting and, if you want to go the extra mile, illumination of windows and engine nacelles.
Buy, Build, Enjoy.
on 24 February 2015
What a fantastic model!!!! i have done a couple different star ships now but i have to say this is my favorite so far.
Easy to assemble for the most part and if you are new to models and start with this one then make sure you take your time especially with some of the decals due to how small they are. at some points i felt like i was doing surgery to get them in the right place. also there are some colours in the paint guide that unless you are going to use them for other models or you already have them not to bother with. i.e the yellow because its only use on the tiniest of pieces on the borg plating. the only downfall i found to this model for myself was not putting a lighting kit in it because it just looks so much more fantastic with one .

Overall a very highly recommended model for anyone who fancies a challenge
on 19 February 2016
Not Finished Building just yet,Waiting for Some Acrylic dental filler for the windows,pity you cant deliver to ireland some products,But so far very happy with product and the detail
Regards
Darren Whelan
on 13 January 2013
Bought this kit as Christmas present for my husband as he is a great Star Trek fan. He was very impressed with the kit and the fact it contained the glue ,a paintbrush and some paints in it .I was very pleased with delivery and also with the extras which were included