on 21 February 2017
Good read
on 15 August 2015
okay
on 7 January 2017
The old zombie genre is blown wide open with this fresh take. I have read the series multiple times and haven't got bored yet! Great work Mark.
on 9 May 2013
I bought this book a long time ago (but after the mentioned grammar 'fixes' of 2011), and tried to read it. I got about three pages in and put in down again. After several months I decided to give it another go, and persevered, but the book has many, many issues.
My initial impression was that it had been written as some kind of joke or parody, my second was that it may have been written by a child.
There instantly felt to have been little to no effort put in. I mean, the first three characters you meet are Max, Bob and Fred.... To me they sounded like filler names.
The writing style is childish and doesn't flow well at all. The punctuation is appalling. The author has no idea at all how to correctly use a comma, they're thrown in all over the place where they don't need to be and are completely missing where they ought to be. This gives a haphazard feel to the tone of the book and makes it incredibly difficult to read. You'll find yourself having to go back over most sentences, re-punctuate them in your head, and then be able to continue.
The dialogue is atrocious. Connectives aren't used at all. People don't talk like that! It makes it feel wooden and unreal and again, difficult to read because it just feels so wrong.
The characters have an overstatedness about them that just made me dislike every single one of them. I felt that actions and reactions were out of context a lot of the time and didn't make sense given the circumstances.

The zombies were also a big minus point for me.
I think what completely killed it for me was the moment a zombie appreciated the irony of a situation.
By definition, Zombies are mindless.
The goons in this book are not zombies, they're... indescribable, but not zombies. I've never read a decent zombie book where the undead were able to talk, function, plot, plan, scheme, had superhuman regenerative powers and were essentially a new evolved race.

I found the story itself to be slow to begin with. The first 30% or so pretty much nothing happens other than people wandering around the building they're trapped in wisecracking one another.
That said, when it does kick off, the action comes pretty hard and fast.
It often becomes confusing, and hard to follow, like the author is trying to explain far too much at once and just ends up falling over himself in the process. These areas feel rushed and badly plotted.

So, if you can get over some of the worst grammar I've seen in my life, a non-standard view to zombie behaviour, wooden, dull characters and an initially slow moving plot, then you'll probably enjoy this.

I finished it, I'm not entirely sure why. I put it down and picked it up again many times, but something drew me back, so it gets 2 stars for that.
on 18 May 2013
I liked this story and will be buying the next two so I can see how things pan out for the characters. For me, it's not a true zombie novel since the zombies can think, communicate and manipulate others. However, I like this interesting twist.
Other reviews have mentioned grammatical errors and there are still some which is what made me big it 4 stars instead of 5. If the author was to go through and change the overused 'I am' to 'I'm' then it would be a much more pleasurable read.
on 11 June 2013
I was always told a story should have a beginning, middle and an end. This just seemed to have a middle. The author has to be applauded for trying to do something with a fairly tired genre and at least the "upgrades" on the basic Zombie model meant we did not know where this was going. The problem is, it just went nowhere and I suddenly found the book had ended, I thought it was just the end of a chapter so it is as if the author simply ran out of words other than "The End".
on 29 May 2013
Really interesting take on typical zombie genre. First time I've really seen intelligence in zombies explored and it was explored well. Liked that giving zombies 'brain's gave them characters, with ambitions, grievances and feelings, even morals, to a point. They are ultimately zombies after all. Enjoyed this book. Very well worth downloading. Stayed up all night to read it.
on 5 December 2013
I don't often leave reviews and only do when strongly motivated to do so, but this "book" was frankly a disgrace to writing. Leaving aside the ideas and concept behind the book (intelligent zombies that see energy auras to feed off and can recruit other zombies as thralls, terrible), it was so poorly written that this was one of the very few times in my life that I have started to read a book and have not stuck with it to the end, even if only through sheer stubbornness. The author apparently doesn't have even the most basic grasp of fundamental English grammar and I found the part of the book that I read to be more of a laborious proofreading exercise than a leisurely read. I would strongly advise against this book and am utterly flabbergasted at the number of reviews saying that it is well written as this could not be further from the truth.
on 6 October 2013
I'm not normally a massive fan of "zombie apocalypse" type books but decided to give this one a try. I am actually glad I did, the story flows well and the characters become realistic as the book progresses. It is easy to read and unlike, some e.books, is relatively free of spelling and grammar errors.
It definitely leaves you wanting to know what happens next and how the story will develop.
Give it a try.
on 24 September 2013
A nice twist on the already over-saturated zombie genre, which is quite a feat! A similar basic plot to many others I have read, but delivered with panache and originality, and an unusual zombie development. I won't spoil it, but would recommend it if - like me - you love the genre, but are getting fed-up with the same variations on a standard theme.