Kisses [DVD] [2008]
Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 April 2010
"Kisses" is a likeable film set in Dublin at Christmas time.It tells the tale of a couple of pubescent kids living with abusive parents in a run down estate. They decide to run away together after the boy gets into a nasty fight with his father.They hop on to a canal barge and make their way to Dublin city centre where they spend most of the cash the girl had stolen from her family on "Heelie" trainers and jumpers before searching for the boy's runaway elder brother ,exploring the brightly lit city and encountering a number of it's colourful nightime inhabitants. However danger lurks and the pair have to be on their guard against predators and perverts. Facing the option of life on the streets or life with their irresponsible parents the young couple are compelled to make an important decision. This film is a bit of an "indie" gem and I was particularly impressed by the very powerful and natural performance of Kelly O'Neill who played the part of the young girl ,Kylie.
on 6 August 2010
I have watched many films about ireland and its troubles.this dvd is a beautiful film about two young children who run away from thier troubles.and what they encounter along the way in the gritty hardships of life in dublin the good and the bad side the people they come into contact with,the acting is fantastic which makes the film more enjoyable.
on 15 April 2011
I thought this was a fairly good movie,2 kids run away from an abusive home...the film starts in black and white,and as they get futher away from home,it slowly goes into colour!! clever idea..my only "moan" was the ending..they end up where they started,with the same problems...but,worth watching..
on 29 October 2012
I'd heard of this film some time ago, but hadn't got around to watching it until recently. I was attracted to it because it's about Ireland, but as I watched it, I soon realised that it was a genuinely good film. It's about two young children, about 11-12 years old, I'd guess. Neighbours, they are good friends, quite possibly because their home situations are so dire. As I mentioned in the title, this film is beautifully shot - some important scenes are filmed in monochrome but gradually change to full colour. The two main actors play convincing roles, and their story as they run away from home, into the centre of Dublin, is believable, intense and moving.

Most convincingly of all, the film does not give us a sugar sweet ending. Instead, it brings us a moment of huge passion and emotion, and an open-ended possibility that things might go well - or that they might not. This is a fine film, almost definitely made on a shoe-string budget. Highly recommended.

Ben Kane, author of Spartacus: The Gladiator.
on 29 February 2012
Two weeks after first seeing this film, I find myself remembering scenes from it, like a favourite dream you can't forget. The two main characters are totally likeable and extremely believable, incredible when you consider that this was their first roll. I found myself engrossed from the start and the film seemed to be over far too soon. It has a lot to say and is effective in the manner in which it say's it. I consider myself fussy about the films I will admit to enjoying, I haven't enjoyed one this much since 'Once' 2006.
on 17 December 2013
This is a beautifully crafted,brilliantly acted film .the children were simply outstanding in their performances .I think this is filmmaking at some of its very best .A compelling story that reverberates with emotional human truths .loved it
on 14 January 2013
This is a very good film and the two young leads do a brilliant job, very thought provoking and I guess this is how some people live - quite sad really.
on 27 May 2013
It's a sweet story about two inner city Dublin kids. I liked the dialogue and the approach to the story. .
on 21 December 2014
Disappointing, not what I expected. Did not complete viewing, repetitive bad language.
on 11 January 2015