Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 9 September 2017
Really bad movie. Nothing like Donnie Darko. Such a shame they had to ruin the prequel. Such a boring film felt like turning it off very early in but wanted to watch to see if it got better *SPOILER ALERT* it doesn't get better it gets worse! Was so relived when it finally ended! 2 hours of my life I can never get back! They could have done so much more with this movie instead it is just a low budget film with no storyline!
on 9 March 2015
Not as good as the first one
on 24 May 2009
This could have been a good film, but after watching it I have to report: all the good bits were in the trailer. In fact, they were presented better in the trailer.

It starts promisingly enough. Seven years after the original film Sam Darko, sister of Donnie Darko, and her friend cruise westwards from Virginia . Two girls seeking a new life. Then 5 minutes into the film the car breaks down, and the film grinds to a halt in sympathy.

Here they are. Two Girls With A Dud Car In A Small Town. That title wouldn't have sold any DVDs, but it would have been more honest.

They check into a motel, they go to a few parties. Bits of the original Donnie Darko plot fall out of the sky, but to no great effect. The characters are one dimensional, and if there is a drug of choice in this small town, it would appear to be the housewives old favourite - valium.

Sam Darko is the strongest character here, the only one to survive from the original film. But in the end I'm not sure that the demands of Daveigh Chase's role amount to much more than looking world weary.

What am I missing? The humour of the original film. A few characters with enough life in them to give the film some momentum. The original concept being taken forward, rather than rehashed.

After 90 minutes of slackers slacking it in Slackville references to the original film are piled high. They do not come across as the resolution of a plot, they look more like an apology for the lack of plot so far.

This isn't annoyingly bad. But there's not much that's good here.

A wasted opportunity.
on 13 March 2015
A really poor sequel imo & I had to turn it off quite early through boredom,
on 5 March 2017
Brought as a Christmas present preordered and my boyfriend loved it! He was so surprised when he opened it :)
on 26 April 2017
i dont like it
on 22 August 2011
This movie isn't bad. It follows the type of movie Donnie Darko was, although there is multiple time travelling in this as well, but the main character shifts from Samantha Darko to her best friend half-way through before her friend sacrifices herself to bring Samantha back for the climax.

I'm happy I bought this as I wanted to see it and I don't understand why people are treating this like the plague. If you don't like it, ignore it and pretend Donnie Darko is alone in the cinematic universe. If you liked it, cool.

Nice picture and good sound. Plus, I wish I could time-travel to 1995. Well, earlier, before Kurt Cobain died. That's probably one of the reasons I liked this as well, I'm a huge fan of the nineties.

Look, it doesn't hold a candle up to Donnie Darko, but if you're feeling adventurous and would like to watch something Donnie Darko-esque without ruining Donnie Darko after 100+ viewings, give this a spin. At this price, you can't really argue.

I'm not ashamed I bought it, I don't hate the film-makers for making this and I can view this as canon or non-canon.
on 31 July 2016
Excellent
good
on 23 September 2015
Cannot match Jonnie Darko but still worth watching.