Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 June 2009
I heard one track from this album on Radio 2 and loved it. I was so inspired by what I heard that as soon as I was able to I tracked down the album and bought it - and I have no regrets. The music of this man is wonderful, really relaxing - ideal to listen to when you want to chill out (I wouldn't recommend it for in the car, you might relax too much). I think the album will appeal to a wide range of music lovers.
on 19 July 2009
I first heard Geoffery Gurrumul's voice on board a ship in the Southern Ocean; the CD belonged to an Australian lady passenger. The ship had an open bridge policy, and passengers would gather in the evenings to listen to the Captain's choice of classical music. Gurrumul's voice was a perfect background for the wild Ocean and the all-night Antarctic dusk.
When I returned home, I searched in vain for the CD, finally finding it on Amazon. Gurrumul's voice is haunting, pure, heartbreaking. It resonates deep inside, down to places inside you that thought didn't exist.
He was born blind, and sings in his local Maori dialect for the most part; songs of his own tribe, his own life experience. It is a CD to play when you need a quiet time, when the world is crushing you with it's demands; in the car in manic traffic; at home when you need to to to a place in your head where there is a mountain with cool air and gentle sun.
By far the most moving track is "Bapa" or "Papa". You don't need to translate, and it will stay in your head even after one play.
This man's music is going to be huge. He has already achieved cult status in Australia and among world music purists.
on 26 April 2008
The angelic voice and musical backing of the blind Australian aborigine Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu simply swept me away. A completely unexpectedly and delightful album that I am sure I will return to many times. The musical world is bound to catch on to this. Peter Charles, Jerusalem
on 8 June 2009
I woke up in the middle of the night last week, just couldn't sleep so I turned on my radio and listened to some world music...then a track from this cd came on and absolutely blew me away. I just lay there in the dark and felt so deeply moved!!When it was finished I immediately got out of my bed, went on to Amazon and ordered a copy. I just can't stop listening to this album..the more I do the more magical it becomes.I'm convinced this music could change the world!!
on 8 December 2008
Heard this guy on Radio 2 last night, just one song and I had to find him, have written this before the CD arrives, can't wait to hear the rest of his stuff, his voice touches your soul somehow, don't understand the words, and don't care, this man is a genius.
on 3 October 2009
Gurrumul
I first listened to a track on Radio 2, and thought what beautiful music. Then I heard another track on Jeremey Vine, but unfortunately could not get the name of the performer. I've had to look through various websites before finding his name. I've ordered the CD as I think it will be soulful. The track 'Bapa' nearly reduces me to tears when I've listened to it. What delightful, soulful music.
Put this CD on, close your eyes and sit back in your chair and you'll suddenly find yourself wwith views of Ayers Rock, incredible skies, your emotions heightened to new levels. That is what this CD does.

Looking beyond the fact that the artist is aboriginal in origin, blind and sings in the main in his native tongue, this is a beautiful record. It is moving in a way that you probably thought would be impossible in music these days.

This CD has every rightt to become as renowned and loved as Fleet Foxes, my 1 and a half year old sat mesmerised by the flow of tunes on our journey back without uttering a sound, wide awake but transported to a different place. THAT is something almost unheard of. She loves it and so do I.

A timeless classic.
on 2 December 2011
What a magical voice this man has - lyrical and haunting. It does not matter that he is, in the main, singing in his own language, just drift of to a different world. No wonder the UK concerts were sold out.
on 30 April 2009
I also first heard a track from this album on Radio 2, prompting me to buy the CD. There's just something magical about the melodies, his voice and the lovely guitar accompaniement and orchestration. It doesn't matter that I don't understand the words on most of the tracks - the spirit of the songs transcends any need for translation. I have a very low threshold for repetition, but have listened to this CD over and over again. Highly recommended
on 2 May 2009
This is the sort of music that makes your spine tingle. Even if you don't know what he is singing about, you can just let the sound of Gurrumul's voice drift over you. You can take the time to read the [rather poor] translation in the sleeve-notes, dig out your atlas and find the part of the Northern Territory of Australia that he loves as his homeland. However, you don't really need to. His voice is magical! The sounds are fairly repetitive, which is probably why it's so relaxing. I find myself singing along about his ancestors (amazingly).