Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 3 June 2010
I have had this recording for a few decades on tape cassete, and have been intending to replace that copy with CD, which I have just done. This to me has always been one of Neil Young's better albums, and he does have very many great ones out there. The overall feel is of country rock with a slant towards folk and whilst I really love it when he rocks out with Crazy Horse, it is the songs such as those on Comes A Time that I tend to come back to first. This recording I would class as being in the style of Harvest, Harvest Moon, After The Gold Rush, and Prairie Wind to name a few. A relaxing listen that provides a feeling of warmth. All the tracks are good, but Comes A Time / Look Out For My Love / Human Highway / Goin' Back and the cover of Four Strong Winds are for me the outstanding songs. Of these, Four Strong Winds would possibly be the best known tack here. (On the Prairie Wind DVD, before singing Four Strong Winds, NY explains that he would play this song, written by Ian Tyson, regularly on the juke box when he was growing up in Canada)

A great and very under-rated CD well worth a listen.
on 4 August 2015
It's Neil young. What's not to like. Rocks great curmudgeon takes on the country genre and wins.
on 10 December 2016
Not his best - but a worthy addition to my collection
on 22 June 2017
Classic NY. Great album.
on 2 May 2017
Love it!
on 14 March 2016
Excellent
With this album, Neil Young returned to his roots. The jaunty title track is a great song, but not the only one here. I particularly enjoy Field of opportunity, of which I don't remember hearing a cover version, as well as Neil`s cover (the only one on this album) of Four strong winds (the sixties classic by Ian Tyson). Another great song is Motorcycle Mama, a duet with Nicolette Larson in which he mostly sings the choruses and she mostly sings the verses.

The opening track, Goin' back (Neil's own song, not to be confused with Dusty Springfield's hit) gets the album off to a great start. I'm not sure what it's about; looking at the lyrics, my first thought was that it could be about a volcanic eruption but I suspect that Neil may have written it about the consequences of war. Maybe it is deliberately ambiguous so that people can interpret it as they wish. Perhaps the pick of the tracks I haven't mentioned is Human highway, but this album is great from start to finish as far as I am concerned.

When Neil's albums are discussed, this album is not usually picked out as being one of his career highlights, but it' is definitely one of my favorite albums of his.
on 26 July 2000
Neil's smiling on the cover and it's easy to see why when you have a collection of songs this good. This is Young firmly in folk/country land, and I feel his most successful foray in that genre. Every song effortlessly wraps itself around your memory and it all sounds so easy with melodies and lyrics this strong. On Lotta Love and Look Out For My Love Neil is backed by a very laid-back Crazy Horse, and provide two of the album's highlights. Elsewhere he gracefully tackles the old folk standard Four Strong Winds and provides a standard of his own in the bouyant Comes A Time. The mood is low key, Neil sings of broken loves and lost souls and never once sounds like he's moping. This is such a soft, elegant record it's impossible to dislike. In Neil's pantheon of great albums it is often criminally neglected, so do yourself a favour.....
on 2 July 2014
When critics thumb through Neil Young's back pages this album appears to be the long lost uncle who no one speaks about at the wedding . It's hard to see why since it is superb and , apart from the sublime Harvest , the Neil Young disc I am most likely to pull from the shelf when I want to hear some post colonial Canadian angst . Others have eloquently analysed the tracks so I will only mention my particular weakness for Nicolette Larson kicking the door down as she enters on Motorcycle Mama and Four Strong Winds , arguably the best ever I'm leaving you but wish I wasn't song - not written by him but he makes it his own .
on 24 September 2002
Unlike other albums in the Young cannon, such as 'Hawks & Doves' or 'Old Ways', this is perhaps Young's best outing into country-folk-rock stylings. The orchestral arrangments which were perhaps a little too overblown on 'Harvest' are more consistent, and the addition of several accoutic guitar players helps create an extrodinary wall of sound. Stand out material includes the opening 'Goin' Back,' which sets the mood perfectly, and the energetic title track and 'Field Of Opportunity' are boistered by a funky fiddle accompniment. 'Already One' is a beautiful ballad with the harmonies of Nicolette Larson. The two Crazy Horse related tracks are the best songs - 'Look Out For My Love' 7 'Lotta Love' are superb pieces. Although sometimes ignored and overlooked, this album is one of Young's most underrated & perhaps, even one of his greatest.